PDA

View Full Version : Old-School 5x5 Routine.. Worthy Or Worthless?

MonStar
08-10-2002, 10:13 AM
I know that some of you guys here @ WBB have tried this routine for yourself, and some of you have thoughts on it etc.

I just read about a few guys who did this routine with great success. What do you guys think about 5x5?

MonStar
08-10-2002, 10:21 AM
Here is a description of 5x5.

The 5x5 Training Method

Originally developed by Reg Park, the 5x5 method involves doing 5 sets of 5 reps, using the same resistance. That's the goal. However, if you've chosen the proper weight, you won't be able to do 5 sets of 5, at least not right away.

Typically, if you've chosen the correct weight, the workout would look like this:

Set 1: 5x100 pounds
Set 2: 4x100 pounds
Set 3: 3x100 pounds
Set 4: 3x100 pounds
Set 5: 2x100 pounds

Remember, the goal of doing 5 sets of 5 reps is a hypothetical goal. If you can do 5 sets of 5 right off the bat, the weight you've chosen is too light.

It seems like a worthy routine. I think so at least. Focusing on progression, etc.

MonStar
08-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Maybe something like this for my split.

PUSH.
Flat BB Press 5 x 5
Dips 5 x 5
One-arm Laterals 2 x 6-8
Skullcrushers 5 x 5

PULL.
WG Chins 5 x 5
One-arm DB Rows 5 x 5
Shrugs 2 x 6-8
BB Curls 5 x 5
Hammers 2 x 6-8

LEGS.
Squats 5 x 5
Leg Presses 2 x 6-8
Goodmornings 5 x 5
Calf Raises 5 x 5

:thumbup::thumbup:

ballast
08-10-2002, 10:34 AM
I think it is vastly underated.The 5x5 system is what a majority of trainees used with great success back in the day.Great for size and strength gains IMO.Here's another take on it from a knowledgeable fellow:

http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/5X5.htm

(Works now- the X in 5X5 had to be capitalized.)

MonStar
08-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ballast
I think it is vastly underated.The 5x5 system is what a majority of trainees used with great success back in the day.Great for size and strength gains IMO.Here's another take on it from a knowledgeable fellow:

http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/5x5.htm

That link doesnt work ballast, you might want to check it. ;);)

Yeah I have been reading up on it a lot and it seems like a great way to train. Once you get 5 sets of 5 you increase the workload. Seems to focus on progression, etc. Looks like a solid program. I think that WBB member Natedogg has had good success with it.

I believe it originated in the 1940's or something like that when Reg Park stated it. Then Bill Starr included it in one of this books or something like that. I could be wrong with this info.

seanilles
08-10-2002, 10:46 AM
I myself am going to try the 5x5 method, as I've been reading a lot of Pavel Tsatsouline, and that is one of the types of workouts he reccomends.

MonStar
08-10-2002, 10:47 AM
seanilles, where do you find some his writings? I am curious to read more about 5x5 and all I have really found is some stuff at T-mag.com which isnt all that accurate or valuable I dont think. Charles Poliquin has a few articles where he likes 5x5.

NateDogg
08-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Yup. I love it. I am actually just now switchin to a 8-10 rep routine geared more towards hypertrophy. 5X5 training, much like how my journal started out, caused my weight and strength to increase like nothing else has ever done for me (coupled with eating and resting a lot of course). My 5X5 was a little different than Park's. I took my method from needsize over at elite. Basically, two warm-up sets with 50-65% 5 rep max weight, then three working sets with 5 rep max weight. Of course I did not always get 5 reps out of the last three sets, but it worked fine for me. That would be for the major, compound lifts (deads, squats presses) then I threw in some assistance work, 3 sets with a higher rep range. I would have to recommend 5X5 training, just because it worked for me. Of course, everyone is different, but you never know until you try it!

HTH,

ND

MonStar
08-10-2002, 11:01 AM
Thanks NateDogg. Does my routine look okay to you, its a few posts up. Yeah needsize from Elite seems to be roided up but he claims to have gotten incredible results from 5x5 before he started anabolics. Its not like hes the only one getting results with 5x5 anyway. But yeah I would do 5x5 for curls and skulls too, and calf raises to bring them up.

NateDogg
08-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by MonStar
Maybe something like this for my split.

PUSH.
Flat BB Press 5 x 5
Dips 5 x 5
One-arm Laterals 2 x 6-8
Skullcrushers 5 x 5

PULL.
WG Chins 5 x 5
One-arm DB Rows 5 x 5
Shrugs 2 x 6-8
BB Curls 5 x 5
Hammers 2 x 6-8

LEGS.
Squats 5 x 5
Leg Presses 2 x 6-8
Goodmornings 5 x 5
Calf Raises 5 x 5

I would make a couple changes based on my experience. I would do dips before BB presses, just because dips took more out of me that my DB presses. I also believe that there is more of an opportunity for shoulder injury in dips so I want to be 100% when I do those. I might also drop those hammer curls, just see how you feel at the end of the workout! Overall that looks solid though :thumbup:

MonStar
08-10-2002, 11:20 AM
Okay thanks ND. Well see what happens. I dont know what I want to do yet. I might even do dips followed by incline BB presses. Because I am currently not doing any OH pressing.

ballast
08-10-2002, 11:26 AM
Sorry bout dat.Try this one:

http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/QDEX.htm

MonStar
08-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Thanks ballast. Going to quote that link actually.

THREE APPROACHES!!!
1. Light weight for speed: 5 sets of 5 reps with no more than 60 seconds rest between sets. 60% to 65% of your 1 RM. is recommended. NOTE: It's important that you move the weight a fast as possible with 100% effort on each rep. Maximum bar velocity is important to get the optimum use of your fast twitch muscle fibers.

2. Medium weight: 5 to 6 sets of 5 to 6 reps. Work up over the first 2 to 3 sets, then do 2 to 3 sets of with the same work weight. 75% to 85% is recommended.

3. Heaviest weight: 5 to 6 sets working up to limit "all-out" set of 3 to 5 reps on the last set. 85% to 95% is recommended.

I've used all three of these approaches to the 5X5 principle for many years and have found them to be ideal for trainees to train compound movements. However, I don't recommend this for "multiple compound" movements (Olympic lifts)

Try doing the same compound movement twice in one week with one of each from the 3 choices above.

FOR A CYCLE: Try doing one "light/speed" workout and then on another day do one "medium" workout. Do this for two weeks. Then on the third week do a "light to medium" workout one day and on second workout go for that "limit set" of 3 to 5 reps.

Let's assume you're training the Squat and your 1RM is 300 lb..

If you're doing a light/ speed workout, you would use 180 lb. to 195 lb.. Start with a light weight, let's say 135 lb., and do 10 to 12 reps for a warm up. Increase your speed progressively faster and faster on the last 4 to 5 reps.

Now put your 60% to 65% (180 to 195) on the bar and do 5 sets of 5 reps with no more than 60 seconds rest between sets, and do each rep like there was 300 lb. on the bar.

If you're doing a "medium" weight workout use 75% to 85%. That's 225 to 255. Start with 135 for 10 to 12 reps. Then go 185X5, 225X5, and finish with 255 for 2 to 3 sets. Or if you're not feeling 100% that day, just do the 225 for 3 sets of 5.

On a "heavy" workout day, you would use between 255 and 285 lb.. To progress up do something like 135X10 reps, 185X5, 225X5, 255X5, 280X5. If you can get that 280 for 5, then try 290 to 300 and try to get at least a triple. If you can get 290 for 3 reps or better, you can pretty much estimate a higher 1RM. without actually doing that 1RM.

This is a good way to train both front and back squats, as well as most pressing movements, Bench, Incline, and Seated Presses.

MonStar
08-10-2002, 12:34 PM
I also want to shoot for PBs so I am thinking that the last week in every month or something Ill test my 1RMs for the exercises in my signature. Maybe max out and then follow up with my regular 5x5 workout or something like that. This is generally a strength program correct?

I am expecting great results with it. Days 1-30 of my journal were basically me f*cking around with different routines and diets and now I am just going to stick with a basic bodybuilding diet and basic 5x5 training routine.

Songsangnim
08-11-2002, 01:39 AM
A 5 x 5 program sounds very promising. I've had my best gains with a program similar to that. How long are the rest periods in between these sets? Are you going to do all three approaches (light, medium, and heavy)or stick with just one?

MonStar
08-11-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic
A 5 x 5 program sounds very promising. I've had my best gains with a program similar to that. How long are the rest periods in between these sets? Are you going to do all three approaches (light, medium, and heavy)or stick with just one?

I am not going to be doing the light, medium, and heavy, no. Only because okay for example lets look at an exercise that I performed yesterday. Dips for example. Here is what my sets looked like:

+75 x 5 (not to failure)
+75 x 5 (not to failure)
+75 x 5 (not to failure)
+75 x 5 (failure)
+75 x 4 (failure)

So out of 5 working sets only two of those working sets are to failure. I doubt my CNS will be overworked with such a program. Anyway I am glad that you like the 5x5 routine EA. Its always nice to hear good things about the routine that youre doing.

ElPietro
08-11-2002, 10:19 AM
So you are changing again? You are the most clueless member on this site. Newbies who think they are training the outer upper pec will have more success than you because they can at least do something for a continuous period of time. With your lack of clear thought I'm surprised you haven't killed yourself in the gym doing something stupid.

MonStar
08-11-2002, 10:19 AM
Thanks EP, appreciate your support and thoughts about 5x5. :):)

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-11-2002, 10:22 AM
LMAO.

Black_Curtain
08-11-2002, 10:27 AM
I think it is a good affective method for both strength and stamina, good luck.

MonStar
08-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Black_Curtain
I think it is a good affective method for both strength and stamina, good luck.

Thanks a lot BC appreciate it man. :):) Thanks for staying on the subject of the 5x5 routine too. Again yeah Ill be keeping my usual journal you can check it out if you like to see how I progress.

Manveet
08-11-2002, 10:46 AM
You do change things up alot Monstar, but then again your a pretty big guy imo. Last time I remember you were doin a "back to the basics" type routine, dunno if you still are. But, if you switch to 5x5 I don't think it's too far off from that last routine. Good luck.

MonStar
08-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Manveet
You do change things up alot Monstar, but then again your a pretty big guy imo. Last time I remember you were doin a "back to the basics" type routine, dunno if you still are. But, if you switch to 5x5 I don't think it's too far off from that last routine. Good luck.

Yeah Manveet I was and am still doing a back to the basics diet and training split. The only thing I have modified is my rep scheme. First I did some heavy and light workouts and now I am just going to go with something simple and basic, 5x5.

Goin_Big
08-11-2002, 11:44 AM
I'd luv to be able to agree with LP on this, but you are huge. Life is so confusing, lmfao.

Meat_Head
08-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Its true many have used the 5x5 routine with great results.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most 5x5 routines are only focused on 1 or 2 or 3 major exercises I believe. Seems like using it on almost all of your sets might be pushing overtraining eventually, but I'm sure you'll see great results. If I were you, I'd only use 5x5 on the bench press, chins, and squats, and lower the intensity and volume on some of the other exercises.

Manveet
08-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Yeah Manveet I was and am still doing a back to the basics diet and training split. The only thing I have modified is my rep scheme. First I did some heavy and light workouts and now I am just going to go with something simple and basic, 5x5.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

08-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Maybe monstar is on to something with the changing routines weekly thing..lol.

08-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Natedogg when you were on the 5x5 routine did you notice any muscle gain, or was it primarily strength?

If you found some good muscle gain to go along with the strength I'd consider it for the fall.

MonStar
08-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Yeah ND was it strength or size gains or what?

MonStar
08-12-2002, 12:14 AM
Its true many have used the 5x5 routine with great results.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most 5x5 routines are only focused on 1 or 2 or 3 major exercises I believe. Seems like using it on almost all of your sets might be pushing overtraining eventually, but I'm sure you'll see great results. If I were you, I'd only use 5x5 on the bench press, chins, and squats, and lower the intensity and volume on some of the other exercises.

I am going to experiment with it this way and see what I think. I have only done it one workout so I can really make an asessment yet.

Blitzforce
08-12-2002, 12:49 AM
I hear the 20x20 rocks :)

Joe Black
08-12-2002, 03:24 AM
Monstar I may still have an old musclemag international about which had a good article on the old skool 5 x 5 and other old skool routines.

If I can dig it up this evening I will scan and post it ok?

MonStar
08-12-2002, 07:39 AM
Okay Hulk looking forward to reading it. :):)

NateDogg
08-12-2002, 10:22 AM
Yeah ND was it strength or size gains or what?

I definitely got some muscle gain as well. However, starting 5X5 coincided with starting to really eat a lot for the first time, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

ND

Paul Stagg
08-12-2002, 12:36 PM
5x5 is just one of many ways to get it done.

As long as you train hard and progress, you'll get there.

MonStar
08-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Okay Paul thanks for the input. Yeah I do think that 5x5 is one of the better ways to get it done though. :):)

NateDogg:

So 5x5 generally was more of a strength program? For me its been kind of both to be honest. With the 5-rep range there has been a nice median between training for strength and training for size.

galileo
08-12-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Goin_Big
I'd luv to be able to agree with LP on this, but you are huge. Life is so confusing, lmfao.

I'm following MonStar's advice and I'm going to change my routine and diet biweekly. Then maybe I can do DB flies with the heaviest dumbells in my apartment.

MonStar
08-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Hehe galileo. I am going to be sticking with 5x5 for a long while so maybe you should go ahead with that idea. And I am not doing DB flyes anymore. Switched to dips.

galileo
08-12-2002, 02:14 PM
Dips own. Right now I am doing - Db press, db flies, and dips for chest.

benchmonster
08-12-2002, 03:20 PM
5X5 is classic western periodization overload principle. Strength gaining stuff here. It works. Everything works, but nothing works forever.

Ever notice how if your training stagnates and you switch routines everything works better for a little while, then you stagnate again, and eventually get fed up and switch routines, and lo and behold, you have another little surge?

Well, I get around that by switching my routines up every week. This is called the conjugate training method. It was founded by a weightlifting club in Russia before I was born, but was not popularized in the U.S. till Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell Club started preaching it, and producing many all time world record holding powerlifters.

Although I am not a bodybuilder, I believe that some of the same principles apply, as there are parts of the conjugate method that are designed specifically for hypertrophy.

B.

ElPietro
08-12-2002, 03:24 PM
The conjugate method isn't about changing your routine every week. It is about having a regular schedule where the exercises and reps are tailored towards a specific goal and are integrated together. It doesn't mean going from 5x5 to 3x10, to powerlifting to olympic lifting.

The surges you get from switching all the time are attributed to neural adaptation and have little to do with actual muscular strength. When the initial surge slows down is when you are actually allowing the muscle to make gains in strength.

Franco
08-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Pete summed it up to a T

nightop
08-12-2002, 06:35 PM
I too currently train using the conjugate method (i use a slightly modified WSB routine).

And ElPietro, i don't think benchmonster literally meant an entire routine change every week, the ME lift is changed every 1 to 3 weeks in order to prevent strength loss from training at near maximal loads for too long on the same movement due to CNS/neural limitations. And what do u mean by actual muscular strength? Not wanting to sound rude, but I don't know what you mean by that specifically, because I was under the impression that strength is a very complex mix of neural control/firing efficiency/muscle's cross-sectional size (hypertrophy), etc...

I'm a big fan of the conjugate method and more I do it and learn about it, the more I like it.. That doesn't mean its the only way to train of course, as different people have different goals and bodies, etc...

DaCypher
08-20-2002, 08:29 PM
MonStar,
It never hurts to try something new (unless its a totally back-assward routine). I have personally never tried the 5x5 style but a couple of friends of mine used to do it and they gained plenty of strength (and probably a good amount of mass but that wasn't their goal so they didn't keep much track). As far as I know, this philosophy is geared at strength gains. However, that is not to say that you won't make size improvements while following this routine (although, I don't know of anyone that has used this with hypertrophy in mind). Good luck...

MonStar
08-21-2002, 02:19 AM
Yeah I am looking forward to some good results. So far things are great I really enjoy it a lot. :):)

needsize
08-21-2002, 11:13 AM
I credit the version of the 5x5 system that I've been using for the last 40lbs of mass that I've added to my frame. I think the original system was geared more towards strength, but when you add in the 2 other exercises in the 8-10 rep range, you hit both the fast and slow twitch fibres, which will give you size as well as strength increases.
It has worked so well for me that although I'm not a powerlifter, I can hold my own in a meet. Without any apparatus, no belts, shirts, straps, etc, I have hit a 550 squat, 600 dead, and 400 bench, not bad for a bodybuilder and all from the 5x5 program.
For what it's worth, I have used anabolics, starting last year I have done 3 light cycles. Using this program I reached my genetic limit a while ago. Combining 5x5 with gear has allowed me to continue growing well past my genetic limit (I posted some pics in the competitors forum)

MonStar
08-21-2002, 11:32 AM
I credit the version of the 5x5 system that I've been using for the last 40lbs of mass that I've added to my frame. I think the original system was geared more towards strength, but when you add in the 2 other exercises in the 8-10 rep range, you hit both the fast and slow twitch fibres, which will give you size as well as strength increases.

Good post man. Very interesting bro. 5x5 does seem to be more geared torwards strength but in my eyes strength and size gains go hand in hand. I doubt one could gain a lot of strength without in turn gaining size. Just my $.02 obviously.

It has worked so well for me that although I'm not a powerlifter, I can hold my own in a meet. Without any apparatus, no belts, shirts, straps, etc, I have hit a 550 squat, 600 dead, and 400 bench, not bad for a bodybuilder and all from the 5x5 program.

Amazing strength needsize - extremely impressive.

benchmonster
08-21-2002, 11:37 AM
El Pietro,

I am not advocating switching from 5x5 to olympic lifting and what not every week.

I guess I should have been more clear. The conjugate method is a bit to complex to re-explain every single post and I got lazy. I should not have said it the way I did. It could be and obviously was, misconstrued.

I change the exercises every single week. I change the M.E. movement and I even change the accessory movements every week. This is what I meant by changing routine every week. Not switching from HIT to Westside to Olympic Movements to Dinosaur Training to Static Contraction to 5x5, to Periodization to HST, and so forth.

Sorry if I was unclear before.

B.

Songsangnim
08-22-2002, 06:23 AM
Good post man. Very interesting bro. 5x5 does seem to be more geared torwards strength but in my eyes strength and size gains go hand in hand. I doubt one could gain a lot of strength without in turn gaining size. Just my $.02 obviously.

Not always true Mr. Henley. Look at Mr. Latman. He keeps himself in the 150 lb range and seems to get stronger every day:D Also Mr. Stagg pointed out, that you can get stronger without increasing in size, although to increase in size you must get stronger. Personally I have used a version of the 5x5 (mine was 6x6) and while I experienced dramatic gains in strength, gains in hypertrophy were minimal. However the rest breaks between my sets were extremely short, so that may have affected my results. Anyway keep us posted on your results. I always enjoy reading your posts.:cool:

MonStar
08-22-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic
Not always true Mr. Henley. Look at Mr. Latman. He keeps himself in the 150 lb range and seems to get stronger every day:D Also Mr. Stagg pointed out, that you can get stronger without increasing in size, although to increase in size you must get stronger. Personally I have used a version of the 5x5 (mine was 6x6) and while I experienced dramatic gains in strength, gains in hypertrophy were minimal. However the rest breaks between my sets were extremely short, so that may have affected my results. Anyway keep us posted on your results. I always enjoy reading your posts.:cool:

Okay EA thanks man. Yeah I think that overall 5x5 maybe geared more towards strength but since I am doing a varied rep range for each bodypart Ill be able to gain in both size and strength ya know? I am hoping at least.. :):)

MonStar
08-22-2002, 06:49 AM
This is what its going to look like actually.

Day 1. Chest, Delts.
Flat BB Press 5x5
Dips 2x6-8
Flat DB Flyes 2x6-8
Seated Military Presses 5x5
One-arm Laterals 2x6-8

Day 2. Back, Traps.
Deadlifts 5x5
Chins 5x5
Rows 2x6-8
Shrugs 2x6-8

Day 3. Off.

Day 4. Arms.
Lying Skullcrushers 5x5
One-arm DB Ext. 2x6-8
Standing BB Curls 5x5
Hammer Curls 2x6-8

Day 5. Legs.
Squats 5x5
Leg Presses 2x6-8
Lying Leg Curls 2x6-8
Standing Calf Raises 5x5

Day 6. Off.

jiacstrap
10-16-2002, 10:12 PM
I am starting a 5x5 tommorow, how is it going monstar? I realized I am not a bodybuilder and need to focus on wrestling right now and strength.

MonStar
10-17-2002, 03:53 AM
It worked okay I guess man---watch your volume though!! I was doing 5x5 excessively and thats why I think it wasnt working.

jiacstrap
10-17-2002, 05:54 AM
It worked okay I guess man---watch your volume though!! I was doing 5x5 excessively and thats why I think it wasnt working.

ok thanks

ElPietro
10-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Did you actually try the routine for more than 3 days monstar?

geoffgarcia
10-17-2002, 01:43 PM
ElPietro-that was hilarious

MonStar-try waiting 2 months at least before you give us an opinion on this thing...

Also I have a question, I'm not sure I understand how to do a a 5x5 workout

Say I wanted to do bench
your telling me I have to do 5 sets
with the heaviest weight I can possibly do for 5 (so for arguments sake lets say 100lbs)
then I wait a minute and do another set at 100lbs and so on?
for 5 full sets? assuming your going to fail on less reps on each set?
Is that correct?

If so I think its a good principal, Joe Weider recommends it in his book, but not for every exercise. I think he recommended it for 1 exercise per body part....lemme know if I have the right understanding?

I did something similar once
in bench I did
warmup set of 10
I had the best results ever, gained about 30lbs in my bench in about 3 months.
I'd guess that a 6, 5, 4, 4, 3
would be better, going under 3 reps per set I question what you get out of it...

TMan
10-17-2002, 01:56 PM
I've been doing 5x5 for about 2 weeks now. Way to soon to say if it "works" or not but I do support what MonStar says. I'd keep the 5x5 exercises to one a workout, maybe two if the volume is really low. They take alot out of ya.

My rep scheme for the 5x5 is when I can actually do the full 25 reps I bump up the weight. As long as I can do a full 5 reps on the first set and at least 1 rep on the last set the new weight is not too high. I'll keep that weight and work on increasing the reps every workout until I can get a full 25 reps. Then bump up the weight and repeat. I hope this makes sense.

jiacstrap
10-17-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by TMan
I've been doing 5x5 for about 2 weeks now. Way to soon to say if it "works" or not but I do support what MonStar says. I'd keep the 5x5 exercises to one a workout, maybe two if the volume is really low. They take alot out of ya.

My rep scheme for the 5x5 is when I can actually do the full 25 reps I bump up the weight. As long as I can do a full 5 reps on the first set and at least 1 rep on the last set the new weight is not too high. I'll keep that weight and work on increasing the reps every workout until I can get a full 25 reps. Then bump up the weight and repeat. I hope this makes sense.

Thats exactly how I am going to train, on back day im doing 2 exercises of 5x5, chins and deadlift. Everything else if just one fore each bodypart, I will have a couple other exercises for each bodypart but only like 1-2 sets.

Flex29
10-18-2002, 11:01 AM
Okay, clarify this please, because I am really stupid. You mean to tell me that in order to do the 5x5 workout, I'd have to do 5 reps of each set. Hypothetically this could be (just for example):

1st Set: 5 push ups, 5 times
2nd Set 4 push ups, 5 times
3rd Set: 3 push ups, 5 times
4th Set: 2 push ups, 5 times
5th set: 1 push up, 5 times

I'm just very confused with the jargon. If I could do curls with say 60 lbs, i'd need to do this?

1st Set: 5 curls, 5 times
2nd Set: 4 curls, 5 times

And so on? I'd like to try this, but need to be clear on what to do first.

Thanks.

TMan
10-18-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Flex29
Okay, clarify this please, because I am really stupid. You mean to tell me that in order to do the 5x5 workout, I'd have to do 5 reps of each set. Hypothetically this could be (just for example):

1st Set: 5 push ups, 5 times
2nd Set 4 push ups, 5 times
3rd Set: 3 push ups, 5 times
4th Set: 2 push ups, 5 times
5th set: 1 push up, 5 times

I'm just very confused with the jargon. If I could do curls with say 60 lbs, i'd need to do this?

1st Set: 5 curls, 5 times
2nd Set: 4 curls, 5 times

And so on? I'd like to try this, but need to be clear on what to do first.

Thanks.

I don't think that's quite right. 5x5 means 5 sets of 5 reps - 25 reps total - no more! Think of 5x5 more as a goal to work for over multiple workouts. Say you pick a difficult weight and for 5 sets you can do, at the most:

Set 1: 5 reps
Set 2: 4 reps
Set 3: 3 reps
Set 4: 2 reps
Set 5: 1 reps

Only 15 reps total, but that's okay you're done with that exercise for the day. Don't do 25 reps if you can't do it in 5 sets. You want to work your way up to 25 reps, a full 5x5, over potentially several workouts. So, say the next workout you do this exercise and can do:

Set 1: 5 reps (you might be able to do more but stop at 5 reps!)
Set 2: 5 reps
Set 3: 4 reps
Set 4: 4 reps
Set 5: 3 reps

21 reps and your done for that exercise. You're working up to 25 reps. When you can do all 25 reps, increase the resistance and start over working up to 25 reps each workout.

This is how it was explained to me.