PDA

View Full Version : cardio while sore? opinions please

stickman
09-30-2002, 09:14 PM
(sorry if this has been asked before)
Well i've just started working out again after a brief layoff, and I am starting WBB routine #1 - on this friday I am planning on doing the tris/bis/shoulder workout, and I am anticipating that I will be quite sore on saturday.

But on saturdays I play full court basketball for a couple of hours, and anyone who has played bball properly knows that it demands lot from the whole body - my question is, is this gonna hurt me in any way? I mean, will it hurt/help/make no difference with regards to the recovery process for tris/bis/shoulders?

thanks

TreeTrunks
09-30-2002, 10:47 PM
If it were me, no. First off I hate basketball, but thats not the point. I'm just anal about not doing anything that might remotely screw up my recovery. But then again im a little anal.

gopher
10-01-2002, 08:55 AM
I find that some moderate cardio helps to alleviate DOMS. I like to ride my stationary bike for about 20 minutes a day or two after leg day. My legs are sore as hell and the ride is tourture but I find that the DOMS is much better the next day. If I don't ride the bike my legs will be sore for several more days. 2 hours of full court may be a bit much and could hinder your gains especially if you don't eat enough.

The Badass
10-01-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
If it were me, no. First off I hate basketball, but thats not the point. I'm just anal about not doing anything that might remotely screw up my recovery. But then again im a little anal.

Not so much anal...more like paranoid! lol!

TreeTrunks
10-01-2002, 02:17 PM
lol, yeah parnoid is a better word. heh heh :)

Relentless
10-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by gopher
I find that some moderate cardio helps to alleviate DOMS.

:withstupi

Running around a little on Saturday might actually help you avoid too much soreness, as the increased blood flow will help flush out the muscles.

You might rob yourself of a bit of recovery but I wouldn't sweat it... if you do this every single week and eventually start to find that your gains are radically limited due to your b-ball playing (unlikely) THEN worry about it.

In the meantime, shoot some hoops and have fun!

Silverback
10-01-2002, 02:29 PM
moderate cardio is the key, i would avoid full on bball, unless you want to hamper your recovery.

i had this problem with the university sports teams, i always feign injury to get me out of the games :)

stickman
10-01-2002, 06:59 PM
yeah I was thinking that it probably wouldnt be a problem, see, it is 2 hours, but its not non stop 2 hours, including the breaks that we get its only 1.5 hours or so of actual playing

also, I was thinking that If leg day was on friday, then it would be a really bad idea for me to play seeing as how bball absolutely hammers the quads and the hams and glutes - but shoulders/bis/tris being sore might not be a problem

and yeah I was planning on getting plenty of good calories and protein about 1 hour before and soon after

- so, it should be fine, right?