PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point in doing cardio?

Proteen
08-28-2001, 06:17 PM
Is there any benefits in doing cardio? When people wake up in the morning and do cardio before breakfast, it eats away at your muscles. Thats awful. People do cardio after weights for an hour 5 times a week. Why? Cardio only burns extra calories. And if your in a calorie deficet when you do the cardio, it burns muscle, right? I know it sounds somewhat lazy, but why don't people just cut calories from theyre daily diet instead of risking catabolism. Just one glance at one of those "under-nourished" proffesional marathon runners with bones sticking out makes me want to vomit. The only point I see in doing cardio is if you had a brownie sundae from Dairy Queen and you were on a cutting diet, so you run a mile or so to burn it off. Thats the only point I see in cardio, is there any health benefits?

:confused: :confused:

Cackerot69
08-28-2001, 06:19 PM
Cardiovascular conditioning mainly.

Craig James
08-28-2001, 06:26 PM
There is the whole idea that there is another muscle that might be good to train - the heart...

Tryska
08-28-2001, 06:29 PM
yeah..i'm gonna have to agree with craig..the heart is kind of an important one....

Sun
08-28-2001, 06:52 PM
I just eat some hamburger slop for my heart. Some fries too. Eat it until my heart's desire is filled. Along with my arteries.

Not only the cardiovascular conditioning, but regular cardio also gives the benefit of a higher BMR, which meaaaaaanns....

MORE FOOD! Harder to turn into a fatty, can be a bit more lax with your food sources. Not to mention, it's great for creating a caloric defecit when you need to lose fat. Why wouldn't someone do cardio unless they were trying to get huge? It's beneficial in so many ways.

IceRgrrl
08-28-2001, 06:58 PM
I do it for cardiovascular conditioning for sports, to keep fat off, for stress relief, and because I enjoy it.

Yes, marathoners are an extreme case, but I don't think any of us are following their training regimen. Pro bodybuilders are also an extreme and not all of us want to look like them or follow their training regimens. I find both extremes rather freaky...

It's really an individual thing...depends on you and your goals.

Sun
08-28-2001, 08:36 PM
I know how to strip the fat right off. :evillaugh

Cackerot69
08-28-2001, 08:38 PM
Haha, DNP.

Sun
08-28-2001, 08:56 PM
In all seriousness I'd never suggest that to anyone. Misery at it's finest. One minute it's all good, next you just fell into Purgatory. And quite frankly, if I had to ever touch the stuff again I might cut my wrists first.

Anyway. That was a little O/T, my evil side kicking in.

*Wanders off*

method115
08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I can't remember where but I'm positive I read somewhere that lifting weights does work your heart just not as well as cardio

tomv
08-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Wow... mega old thread mate.