PDA

View Full Version : need clarification regarding cardio exercise

FenianIrish
11-28-2001, 05:25 PM
I'm trying to cut body fat percentage, so after my daily routine I ride an exercise bike for 40 minutes, burning appx 320 or so calories (according to the machine, anyways).

Is that an acceptable amount of calories to burn each day? Should I push for more? Maybe higher intensity and less time?

I forgot to mention that I do this 4x a week, around 8 or so hours after my last meal.

Any help is appreciated, but keep in mind that I do this after spending 1.5 or so hours in the gym, and am not really wanting to spend another 90 minutes on the bike.

Regards

gopro
11-28-2001, 05:46 PM
That sounds good to me. What is important is results. Give your program a shot for 8 weeks or so and observe your results. If it is working than continue. If not, make some adjustments. You can increase intensity, increase time, or add another day. Also make sure your diet is correct for lowering BF%. Good luck.

syntekz
11-28-2001, 06:42 PM
I personally would suggest not doing cardio after your weight training. You need to get home quickly and replenish your muscles with food.

Also, how hard are you training if you can do 40 minutes of cardio after your training sessions? Just curious.

gopro
11-28-2001, 08:12 PM
It is true that the optimal time for cardio is on non training days, first thing in the morning, however, some people's schedules simply won't allow that.

PowerManDL
11-28-2001, 08:37 PM
Optimal for fat loss purposes, not for those concerned with improving endurance and/or cardiopulmonary fitness.

jock
11-28-2001, 09:14 PM
I personally would suggest not doing cardio after your weight training. You need to get home quickly and replenish your muscles with food.

I definately agree with the above. Unless your drinking a protein shake while doing your cardio you gotta try and seperate your weight and cardio workouts. Try to do your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. As for some people not being able to fit this into their busy schedules, i disagree. It just depends on how much you want it. By a cheap ass exercise bike and get up half an hour earlier if you have to.