Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Is the ability to have six-pack genetic?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198

    Is the ability to have six-pack genetic?

    Having a six-pack is not high on my priority list. Eventually I would like to have a flat stomach but that is a whole 'nother thing.

    I read months and months ago when I briefly got back into some lifting, from a book called Weight Training for Dummies, or fitness for dummies or someething like that. The lady that wrote said it was a myth that anyone, without enough hard work can get a six-pack. She said it was all genetic. That if one did not have the genes, one could not get a six-pack no matter how hard they tried. What do you guys think of this?
    To me, it just does not make sense how if someone brings their bf% down super low, and they still can't have a six pack. But that's is with my limitied knowledge

  2. #2
    The Man of Steel -Superman-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumorai View Post
    Having a six-pack is not high on my priority list. Eventually I would like to have a flat stomach but that is a whole 'nother thing.

    I read months and months ago when I briefly got back into some lifting, from a book called Weight Training for Dummies, or fitness for dummies or someething like that. The lady that wrote said it was a myth that anyone, without enough hard work can get a six-pack. She said it was all genetic. That if one did not have the genes, one could not get a six-pack no matter how hard they tried. What do you guys think of this?
    To me, it just does not make sense how if someone brings their bf% down super low, and they still can't have a six pack. But that's is with my limitied knowledge
    Genetic in the sense some have 4, 6, and 8 groups of muscles in the ab wall. Not so much genetic as saying no one can get visible abs. All humans have abs like any other muscle. So they are there for everyone, you just got to have the proper diet and routine going.



    P.S. Arnold had 4 and is considered one of the top bodies in human history.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

    Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

    Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

    Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

  3. #3
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,769
    I blame everything I haven't achieved without hard work on genetics. Helps me sleep better at night.

    Genetics are the scapegoat. Anybody can get abs to show but it'll just take some working harder than others.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  4. #4
    Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kzoo, MI
    Posts
    17
    actually, the 6 pack is not genetics, the 8 pack is. biologically speaking, every person actually has an 8 pack, the only problem is that only certain people can actually obtain it, you have to have amazing genetics plus still do a lot of work to obtain them. look at a lot of the pro body builders, most don't actually have 8 packs, most only have 6. and you can't say that they don't train hard enough to get to an 8 pack.

    but really 6 packs are just having a low enough bf %, abs have always been and will always be diet. but at the same time you still work on them before you lose the fat, or else there won't be a ripped 6 pack once the fat is gone.
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jinkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    539
    I hate the statement at six packs are all diet.

    If you are cut to the bone and don't have the proper muscle built you won't see anything but bone, to build nice looking abs I feel they have to be worked either directly or as supportive in heavier lifts such as the squat/deadlift.

    Take two people at the same bodyfat and have one work weighted ab circuits ontop of his normal workout hes going to have better improvements in his core then the other who isn't.


    You will never see your six pack without proper diet but they still shouldn't be ignored as a muscle group and although offtopic I hate the statement "six packs are all diet"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198
    cool, thanks for the replies everyone. I look forward to reading more.

  7. #7
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
    I hate the statement at six packs are all diet.

    If you are cut to the bone and don't have the proper muscle built you won't see anything but bone, to build nice looking abs I feel they have to be worked either directly or as supportive in heavier lifts such as the squat/deadlift.

    Take two people at the same bodyfat and have one work weighted ab circuits ontop of his normal workout hes going to have better improvements in his core then the other who isn't.


    You will never see your six pack without proper diet but they still shouldn't be ignored as a muscle group and although offtopic I hate the statement "six packs are all diet"
    Well... 6-packs are more diet than anything else. Your not going to have ripped nice arms if you dont work out, but in many cases if your diet is right and you play sports, you will have a six pack. Many people dont even need to play sports, just be lean.

    Black people when lean ALWAYS seem to have a 6 pack despite the fact that they dont work out.

    But I do agree that a little isolation can go a very long way in terms of ab development. At the end of a heavy lifting day, I can sometimes feel that my abs are wrecked. But on a lighter day, I like to dedicate 1-2 sets of weighted abs.

  8. #8
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    I blame everything I haven't achieved without hard work on genetics. Helps me sleep better at night.

    Genetics are the scapegoat. Anybody can get abs to show but it'll just take some working harder than others.
    Anybody can get abs to show..but whether you have a six pack or an eight pack or even a 4 pack IS genetic. Arnold is probably the best example of this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jinkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Anybody can get abs to show..but whether you have a six pack or an eight pack or even a 4 pack IS genetic. Arnold is probably the best example of this.
    Nah man Arnold was just so cocky he figured he didn't need the other two.

  10. #10
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    How they appear is genetic. The ability to have abs is not genetic. That's a result of hard work and low body fat percentage.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  11. #11
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Anybody can get abs to show..but whether you have a six pack or an eight pack or even a 4 pack IS genetic. Arnold is probably the best example of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    How they appear is genetic. The ability to have abs is not genetic. That's a result of hard work and low body fat percentage.
    Songsangnim, Scarz had the right of it. I wasn't talking about how they looked, just the fact that they're there and shedding the fat. If we could shape muscle we'd all have extremely large upper pecs and Valentino biceps.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198
    So basically, with enough hard work(and proper work) anyone can have visible abs. However, the *number* of visible abs, is genetic.
    Also, does bodyfat percentage usually need to be at a certain number before abs are visible? Lower than 10% perhaps?






    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    Songsangnim, Scarz had the right of it. I wasn't talking about how they looked, just the fact that they're there and shedding the fat. If we could shape muscle we'd all have extremely large upper pecs and Valentino biceps.
    *bold mine*

    I was thinking about starting another thread about this, but since it has been mentioned, I will view this as an opportunity:

    Is there really a such thing as "upper" or "lower" pecs? For training purposes can upper or lower be targeted? I am guessing...."no", and that from your post you would agree. But then again, if they cannot be targeted, why do incline or declines...hmmm.
    Last edited by Sumorai; 10-24-2007 at 05:51 AM.

  13. #13
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,769
    If start an upper chest thread I'll ban you. Do a search. Incline and decline involve the shoulders more or less. Again search before you start a thread on that topic.


    As far as the specific bodyfat percentage one needs to be to see abs, it's determinant upon lean body mass. Like Jinkies was saying, if the ab muscles themselves aren't there they won't show. Even if you get to 4% or lower, if you're 115lbs at 6', you probaby won't have abs. Starving kids in Africa don't have those shredded physiques we all desire. The higher your lean body mass, generally the higher the bodyfat percentage can be for one to see abs.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    If start an upper chest thread I'll ban you. Do a search. Incline and decline involve the shoulders more or less. Again search before you start a thread on that topic.
    If I suspect a topic has been covered before and is common, then I will do a search before I post. I'll use the built in search feature, or go to google and type: "www.wannabebigforums.com blah blah blah". I would have definitely done a search for this topic before I posted.

  15. #15
    Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kzoo, MI
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
    I hate the statement at six packs are all diet.

    If you are cut to the bone and don't have the proper muscle built you won't see anything but bone, to build nice looking abs I feel they have to be worked either directly or as supportive in heavier lifts such as the squat/deadlift.

    Take two people at the same bodyfat and have one work weighted ab circuits ontop of his normal workout hes going to have better improvements in his core then the other who isn't.


    You will never see your six pack without proper diet but they still shouldn't be ignored as a muscle group and although offtopic I hate the statement "six packs are all diet"
    if you read both posts before yours me and superman both explained that you still need to work on your abs or they won't show anyway once you lose the fat.

    Also, does bodyfat percentage usually need to be at a certain number before abs are visible? Lower than 10% perhaps?
    pretty much if you are below 10 percent you should be able to see your abs (pending they are there in the first place). if you want a complete 6 pack though, you would need to probably be around 6 % or so
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198
    Thanks guys some really good information. I have learned a lot. lol...I guess I had a few wrong ideas about abs. Before my late teens, I used to think that visible abs were the result of abdominal exercises like sit-ups. Then in my late teens I went to a gym briefly and the gym owner told me it was all diet and cardio which brought BF down low enough so they can be seen. Now I know that there is truth in both ideas. The amount of "mass" or hypertrophy for the abs required to show, must not be very much though right? Because "teh Brad Pitt" in teh fight club, had very little muscle mass.(lol btw I do not want to look like brad pitt)
    Last edited by Sumorai; 10-24-2007 at 02:18 PM.

  17. #17
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,489
    i got to about 6% bf and had very little abdominal deff. what's up with that? i had great def everywhere else but barley noticable abs.. only in really good light could i see 6
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-24-2007 at 07:44 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198
    Holy crap, 6% is super low. And you can't see abs well? Maybe you are just being too hard on yourself. YOu said in good light you can see six. lol, well I guess that counts. Did you used to be fat at one time? Because maybe you have some loose skin or something.
    Not to be gay, but could you post a pic?

  19. #19
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,797
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    i got to about 6% bf and had very little abdominal deff. what's up with that? i had great def everywhere else but barley noticable abs.. only in really good light could i see 6
    You probably weren't truly at 6%. I measured 8.7% on a 3 site a couple of years ago and I wasn't anywhere close.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198
    btw, could someone post a link to pics of various bf percentages? I know there was this thread that had some, and I checked it out(it was like several weeks ago, although I think the thread was MUCH older) but something wasn't working, either pics weren't there or the links were broke or something, I can't remember.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Jinkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by Ockhams_Razor View Post
    if you read both posts before yours me and superman both explained that you still need to work on your abs or they won't show anyway once you lose the fat.



    pretty much if you are below 10 percent you should be able to see your abs (pending they are there in the first place). if you want a complete 6 pack though, you would need to probably be around 6 % or so
    lol way to call me out bro but I was actually responding to a post that was made after both you and supermans, apparently you lacked the detail to express your point strongly enough.

    Sorry to squabble on your thread Sumorai
    Last edited by Jinkies; 10-24-2007 at 08:18 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    You probably weren't truly at 6%. I measured 8.7% on a 3 site a couple of years ago and I wasn't anywhere close.
    Agreed.

    And abs are all diet. LOL.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
    Sorry to squabble on your thread Sumorai
    It's okay man!

    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Agreed.
    The Quads have spoken. They are two in being, one in substance, with two wills that always agree.

  24. #24
    T.J.W. nhlfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumorai View Post
    btw, could someone post a link to pics of various bf percentages? I know there was this thread that had some, and I checked it out(it was like several weeks ago, although I think the thread was MUCH older) but something wasn't working, either pics weren't there or the links were broke or something, I can't remember.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=226
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    198
    Hey thanks nhl! I think that was what I saw before, but this time the pics worked. The 20% people look "cut" to me. lol....going by that....I am probably like 60% bodyfat.
    I don't even know how I move.

    edit: wow, I didn't know 5-7% can only be held for several days....very informative. I wonder how much longer I can survive holding my bf%, lol.
    Last edited by Sumorai; 10-24-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Building perfect abs (6 pack or even 8 pack)
    By grizantir in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
  2. Six pack - Please!
    By Proctor in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 12:01 PM
  3. Possible to get big again but with 6 pack this time?
    By SwoleCoon27 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 07:56 PM
  4. Six pack maintenance
    By abwowang in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 10:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •