Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulk Duration?

Bulk Duration?

So rugby season is ending and I am gonna do an 8 or so week leg specialization. I want to gain both size and strength so I think it would be wise to bulk during it, but is it be advisable to bulk for only 8 weeks?
    Sarvamangalam!

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    So rugby season is ending and I am gonna do an 8 or so week leg specialization. I want to gain both size and strength so I think it would be wise to bulk during it, but is it be advisable to bulk for only 8 weeks?
    you can bulk for 8 weeks, that's fine but in all reality you oughta keep bulking untill you're satisisfied with the amount of mass you gain and then cut.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, I do not want to bulk for too long. I am fairly happy with my size (except in my legs-- they were neglected due to a muscle pull.) I am just wondering if this is going to work as well as I think it will. So I think I might need a more specific reply (no offense.)
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-09-2007 at 07:22 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

NOOOOOOOOOB
    don't really need experience to lay down the basic, longer you bulk, more you gain. you want to look good? or you looking for raw power?

squat your heart out, put it in your routine. up the weight every week. make those stumps as big as they can be the end of your 8 weeks.
    Last edited by andrewnp; 11-09-2007 at 07:23 PM.

well that was enthusiastic. 8 weeks just seems really short for a bulk. I just want to know if that duration is too short or if a sustained regular bulk is the best way to do it?
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    nothing wrong with an 8 week bulk

Why not bulk year round?
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Ohhh, I though I included in my first post that I am trying to stay under 210ish, and am 200 right now. i should include in this that 200-210 is my end goal with less bf than i have now. it is gonna be a pretty quick rollercoaster of an 8 week bulk(if that is long enough) and then a very precise cut to drop 3ish points in bf%, putting me at 205ish and 10% for the bulk hopefully a better than average portion of that will be leg size and strength. I guess it will take some dialed in cals and a good routine, but

is 8 weeks long enough for that much if I want it to be mostly LBM, hopefully most of the 10lbs. or is this a longer term goal than i think it is.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-09-2007 at 07:48 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

NOOOOOOOOOB
    just eat clean, get ona decent routine and count cals if you have to man. 1.25lbs a week of LBM doesn't seem hard at all.

eat clean, eat alot, put cardio into the routine too to burn some of that excess off? up your protein intake?

ahhh, you are probably right. i over analyze all the time.... (f-ing philosophy test on monday... got analyzing on the brain) .

Thank you wbb, I am here all night!!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-09-2007 at 07:52 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

if you're just looking to get your legs back then an 8 week may suffice, as legs tend to balloon completely disproportionate to any other body part.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

NOOOOOOOOOB
    ahhh, you are probably right. i over analyze all the time.... (f-ing philosophy test on monday... got analyzing on the brain) .

Thank you wbb, I am here all night!!
    i am getting out of the habit of overthinking, and into the mindset of "EAT EAT EAT SLEEP LIFT BIG"

start rippetoe's starting strength on monday. still wondering how to figure out my workin weights. guess i will just feel it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    if you're just looking to get your legs back then an 8 week may suffice, as legs tend to balloon completely disproportionate to any other body part.
    ahhhhh, yes! just the reply i was waiting for. jdeity to the rescue!! what happened to the atheist beaver? otter? gopher?.......??
    Sarvamangalam!

I'm not an atheist and, after the southpark episode was in the past, had to change it to avoid misrepresenting myself! Now it's all about ricky bobby, talladega nights FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnp View Post
    i am getting out of the habit of overthinking, and into the mindset of "EAT EAT EAT SLEEP LIFT BIG"

start rippetoe's starting strength on monday. still wondering how to figure out my workin weights. guess i will just feel it out.
    yeah, well i need to be as efficient as possible, so sometimes analyzing helps be the most efficient as possible, an while i appericiate your mantra it does not quite work for me at this point.
    Sarvamangalam!

I'm not an atheist and, after the southpark episode was in the past, had to change it to avoid misrepresenting myself! Now it's all about ricky bobby, talladega nights FTW!!!
    wiat... which member has the atheist small woodland creature on his avatar?
    Sarvamangalam!

yeah, well i need to be as efficient as possible, so sometimes analyzing helps be the most efficient as possible, an while i appericiate your mantra it does not quite work for me at this point.
    ya for your goals, legs specifically, just squat and dl like crazy and eat like a vacuum cleaner and you should be set. w/o knowing you and how big you want to get them, it's impossible to give a time period, but as always legs/thighs seem to grow like twice as fast as anything else.
    wiat... which member has the atheist small woodland creature on his avatar?
    ? Nobody I know! The <satanic> woodland christmas critters I haven't seen in anyone's, my otter was from 'go god go' I + II.. which critter are you thinking of?

(lol, on the topic of south park, it was so sick seeing imagination land with the woodland critters and the real manifestation of manbearpig!!)

AGREE

After my injury,i started training my legs again 3 months ago. They have really grew,my trousers are tight around my thighs now.
    I think you will gain a fair bit in 8 weeks....

As others have said,Squat heavy and keep stacking up more plates.You may be amazed how quickly you progress.
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

Really to be honest, 8 weeks is fine but you really have to make those 8 weeks count. Count your calories, dont mess up too often (i.e dirnking), make every workout count... Its not with it IMO. Just bulk until your satisfied, the second you put a time line on you feel obligated for that timeline.

Ive been bulking for 10 weeks now and only in the last 4-5 did I really see my lifts sky rocket.

thanks guys, for setting my mind at ease
    Sarvamangalam!

have fun man! I recently moved across country (drove) and it made no sense to bring my gym so I just sold it/gave it away. I finally just got a new setup (olymp. bar, plates, bench) earlier this week, I'm trying to find my damn tape measure - I can't tell what I like monitoring more, my maxes/PR's or my thighs ballooning lol!

<<hmm, yeah I think I like the maxes more, but the leg size is still fun as hell!>>

ahhhhh, yes! just the reply i was waiting for. jdeity to the rescue!! what happened to the atheist beaver? otter? gopher?.......??
    The advice he gave you doesn't hold true for everyone. My legs are stubborn as hell and disproportianately small and weak compared to the rest of my body. I work them harder than anything.

My advice would be to start tracking your calories now (like, today), then take a whole week off before you start your bulk (to avoid overtraining during bulk). Decide how much you want to eat over maintenance and train the **** out of your legs for 8 weeks. I think your goal of staying under 210 is pretty unrealistic if you want to gain any appreciable amount of mass.

I recommend you consider doubling the bulk duration.

What you do in 8 weeks is entirely up to you. You could put on a fair about of size in 8 weeks or you could put virtually nothing on in 8 months. Eat heavy, Lift heavy and you'll see the results you want.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnp View Post
    1.25lbs a week of LBM doesn't seem hard at all.
    For the trained, unassisted lifter....highly doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    The advice he gave you doesn't hold true for everyone. My legs are stubborn as hell and disproportianately small and weak compared to the rest of my body. I work them harder than anything.

My advice would be to start tracking your calories now (like, today), then take a whole week off before you start your bulk (to avoid overtraining during bulk). Decide how much you want to eat over maintenance and train the **** out of your legs for 8 weeks. I think your goal of staying under 210 is pretty unrealistic if you want to gain any appreciable amount of mass.

I recommend you consider doubling the bulk duration.
    Interesting. You are probably right. I will seriously consider this. I am willing to go up to 220 then cut to 10%- so hopefully after that I will be between 205-215

As you can see I am flexible with my BW, just do not want to get much bigger.
    Sarvamangalam!