Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arm shrunk after removing direct arm exercises??

Arm shrunk after removing direct arm exercises??

So I took everyones advice and ignored direct arm work and well it didn't work. Don't say eat more because I am on a bulk right now and am eating 5 meals a day and about 3000 calories which helped me gain weight before. I just measured my arms, I used to be 12.75 left and 13.25 right. Now both are 13. How can I lose mass while gaining weight. So I guess its time to add direct arm work back in. But the question is do I really need to have a whole day for it. I was thinking of adding some preacher curls at the end of my back day and some heavy tri exercise after chest day. Is this enough should I dedicate a whole day?
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Banned
    Everyone is different. if you respond well to direct work, go for it. Make sure you're doing chins/pulls though.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but with 13" guns, you need to stick to your compound lifts and build everything up. Trust me, if you bench 500 pounds, your arms are going to be a hell of a lot bigger. If you use heavy weight and explosive strength in your lifts like bench and rows, your arms will be taking a beating as well as your chest/back. They will have to adapt to the heavy weight by growing.

If you had 20" guns and weighed 240lb at 8% bodyfat, then you could say they are maxed out and need some isolation work. But at your size, no way. If it makes you happy, add some semi-compound moves like standing curls and skullcrushers, but don't start doing preacher curls and one arm dumbell tri extensions. Just wasting your time. The only reason I'm allowing the semi-compound moves is because they allow you to go pretty heavy and can help you improve your fundamental compound lifts (like bench and row).

My arms have grown quite a bit recently from incorporating explosive heavy weight standing curls. The only risk is that you could injure your joints (elbows specifically) doing heavy explosive reps with standing curls and skullcrushers.
    Last edited by dxiw; 02-12-2008 at 06:34 PM.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

There is no reason your arms should ever shrink if you are on a bulk... are you sure you measured right the first time?

What was your before/after weight?

thats a quarter inch. that doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad263 View Post
    So I took everyones advice and ignored direct arm work and well it didn't work. Don't say eat more because I am on a bulk right now and am eating 5 meals a day and about 3000 calories which helped me gain weight before.
    How much weight did you gain? Everyone is different but generally speaking you should count on gaining 20-30 lbs of bodyweight for every inch on the arm

I just measured my arms, I used to be 12.75 left and 13.25 right. Now both are 13. How can I lose mass while gaining weight.

So one of your arms DID gain size? Anyway there are several explainations: (a) Were you underworking the left arm? (b) Did you measure correctly? (c) Were you training hard enough? (d) Were you doing the correct exercises? (e) Did you gain enough overall body mass?(f) Were you were training on a one bodypart per week split?

So I guess its time to add direct arm work back in. But the question is do I really need to have a whole day for it.

No. There's nothing wrong with direct arm work, but a whole day is overkill/waste of time.

I was thinking of adding some preacher curls at the end of my back day and some heavy tri exercise after chest day. Is this enough should I dedicate a whole day?
    Why do you have a chest day and a back day? Think exercises, not bodyparts.
    Squat, lunge, calf press.
    Bench press, Row, OH press/DB Press.
    Deadlift, Dip, Chin.

There's a three day split right there which works the legs, chest, back and arms twice a week.

Or you could do an upper/lower/upper\lower...

It seems like you are eating enough, so let's have a look at your routine (sets,reps,days,exercises) and see if there isn't something wrong with it first.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-12-2008 at 07:29 PM.

I do a 2 day split, it matters how much I can get to the gym by how often I do them. I can get to the gym anywhere from 2-4 days.

Day 1 is Squats, BB flat bench, DB incline bench, OH press.

Day 2 is deadlifts, chins, bent over DB rows, weighted abs, shruggs

Everything is of 3 sets of 6

I know I don't have much leg work in there but my legs are coming along nicely.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

did you take your measurements under the same conditions....meaning first time after working out and second time after waking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    There is no reason your arms should ever shrink if you are on a bulk... are you sure you measured right the first time?

What was your before/after weight?
    I didn't shrink after the bulk I am in the process of a bulk, last time I finished a bulk a gained a good half inch.

Could I really just be not eating enough. I mean I am doing the same thing as I did last time and it worked great. This time its just not making results. I do 15 minutes of cardio after my workout now. Could that really be burning so many calories its negating my gains completely?
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

schmitty199
    I didn't shrink after the bulk I am in the process of a bulk, last time I finished a bulk a gained a good half inch.

Could I really just be not eating enough. I mean I am doing the same thing as I did last time and it worked great. This time its just not making results. I do 15 minutes of cardio after my workout now. Could that really be burning so many calories its negating my gains completely?

Id predict you either measured a little differently, or it's all in your head. Maybe a little of both. Just keep on the bulk and lifting heavy and see what happens long term. I highly doubt your arms are shrinking.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Umm.. isn't 12.75+13.25 = 13+13 ?? My first guess would be it's mostly mental and you may have measured wrong, but basically they just evened out on your bulk. Isn't that the idea? Proportional arms?
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Eh... people on here get a little too 'SQUATS FOR BICEPS!!!!!'

No point doing that, its a whole T-nation influenced mentality which gets people little arms and disprortionate
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

No one said that.
    No point doing that, its a whole T-nation influenced mentality which gets people little arms and disprortionate
    Once again no one said that. What they are telling him is that heavy pulling and pushing compounds will build bigger arms than isolation bicep movements. And that is correct. People have little arms because they overly focus on them. When was the last time you saw an Olympic lifter with little arms? And how much time do they spend on their biceps?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-13-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I do a 2 day split, it matters how much I can get to the gym by how often I do them. I can get to the gym anywhere from 2-4 days.

Day 1 is Squats, BB flat bench, DB incline bench, OH press.

Day 2 is deadlifts, chins, bent over DB rows, weighted abs, shruggs

Everything is of 3 sets of 6

I know I don't have much leg work in there but my legs are coming along nicely.

Okay it looks like your issues are frequency and consistency. You need to do more than 2 times a week EVERY week. And you need to follow a gym schedule religiously. In your case I'd go to the gym 4 days a week. I'd drop the abs and shrugs for now (besides you can do abs on your off days) I'd train two days on then one day off, then two days on then two days off. I'd alternate between each workout. And every 4-6 months or whenever I started to feel overly tired, I'd take 7-10 days off (but still watch the diet) and then get back in the gym.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-13-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Banned
    obviously when you said you listened to everyone here, you didnt listen to me cause i dont believe in that dogma of no direct arm work, dedicate one day a week to arms, do them hard and heavy and they will grow.

Maybe not squats for biceps (triceps maybe, but not biceps).

But seriously, I cut out all isolations as of 9 months ago after reading NROL. Since then I haven't noticed any problems in my arm size. Actually, since the addition of squats and deads (Thank you NROL), my whole body, especially my arms, are bigger then ever.

Yes heavy pulling and pushing does work the s*** out of your arms. I think chin-ups (palms facing you) are the best biceps exercise there is.

I'm not bashing isolations, but I just don't think that they're really necessary, at least not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Once again no one said that. What they are telling him is that heavy pulling and pushing compounds will build bigger arms than isolation bicep movements. And that is correct. People have little arms because they overly focus on them. When was the last time you saw an Olympic lifter with little arms? And how much time do they spend on their biceps?
    Yes, we all know that, but it almost seems like a sin to do some curls or extenstions.

Obviously dedicating a whole day to arms is dumb but after your pushing and pulling is done it wont kill anyone to do some curls just for the **** of it.

I train everyday pretty much and I cycle through speicific body parts, ie bodybuilding style back shoulder and arm work after my big lifting.

yes Im an Olympic lifter but so what? No point being soo extreme, its almost asif your hardcore for not doing isos.

Just my opinion.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Okay it looks like your issues are frequency and consistency. You need to do more than 2 times a week EVERY week. And you need to follow a gym schedule religiously. In your case I'd go to the gym 4 days a week. I'd drop the abs and shrugs for now (besides you can do abs on your off days) I'd train two days on then one day off, then two days on then two days off. I'd alternate between each workout. And every 4-6 months or whenever I started to feel overly tired, I'd take 7-10 days off (but still watch the diet) and then get back in the gym.
    3-4 days a week is already the plan. I just know I work 40 hours a week and am taking 3 night classes at a time right now. That only leaves me a little time during the week. Thats why instead of doing a 3 day split and maybe getting busy and only being able to do 2 exercises I went with a 2 day split to make sure I at least did every exercise once a week, and if everything goes as planned I can double it up and get in 4 exercises a week. But my gym is not open after class so I am kinda limited on when I can go.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

Banned
    Obviously dedicating a whole day to arms is dumb but after your pushing and pulling is done it wont kill anyone to do some curls just for the **** of it.
    how is dedicating a day to arms dumb?
    my three day split is divided up on torso, legs and arms, if i didnt have a day focused on arms there would be an imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    how is dedicating a day to arms dumb?
    my three day split is divided up on torso, legs and arms, if i didnt have a day focused on arms there would be an imbalance.
    There's a better chance of there being an imbalance by having a day dedicated to arms. Not that there's anything wrong with having an arm day, but working out with just basic compound lifts uses all the necessary muscles to get the job done. Everything will grow the way it's supposed to.

This particular forum seems to have adopted the belief that iso arm exercises are a cardinal sin. It's preached on an almost daily basis, and many of the forum members seem to have been swayed to this way of thinking, following the crowd, rather like sheep...

Now relatively new members (having obviously spent some time reading here) are spewing out well rehearsed lines such as the infamous:

Gain 50 pounds, squat for biceps...

Not all queries can be answered with these lines.

Anyway... I say if you want big arms, train them directly, and heavy.
    Last edited by Beno79; 02-13-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    Cobra, Curry and the Gibson Flying V.

Quote Originally Posted by Beno79 View Post
    This particular forum seems to have adopted the belief that iso arm exercises are a cardinal sin. It's preached on an almost daily basis, and many of the forum members seem to have been swayed to this way of thinking, following the crowd, rather like sheep...

Now relatively new members (having obviously spent some time reading here) are spewing out well rehearsed lines such as the infamous:

Gain 50 pounds, squat for biceps...

Not all queries can be answered with these lines.

Anyway... I say if you want big arms, train them directly, and heavy.

I went from 164lbs on April 1, 2007 to just about 220lbs. My weight is now 215lbs. I went from having 14.5" inch arms to 16.5" arms in that time. This was done with VERY LITTLE direct bicep work. 3 sets a week in general just to keep the elbows healthy.

Oh, I also train with a guy who has over 19" arms and he trains bis just like I do. Once a week, only a couple of sets.

But you're right, if you want big arms... Just do a bunch of curls.

The problem with this particular guy is that he's doing very little work in general. 2 days a week? Of course you're not going to put on any quality muscle.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Nah, I don't think anyone really believes that the answer for bigger biceps is squatting. But most people on here, including myself, believe in doing mostly heavy compond lifts. Heavy pulls definately will make your biceps grow like crazy as long as you eat enough.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Nah, I don't think anyone really believes that the answer for bigger biceps is squatting. But most people on here, including myself, believe in doing mostly heavy compond lifts. Heavy pulls definately will make your biceps grow like crazy as long as you eat enough.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Just for the record when I look at my workout journal I take to the gym with me every time. It shows 3 workouts 8 out of the last 10 weeks. The other 2 weeks I only got there two days. I used to do a leg, chest, back split. My legs respond very well to just squats and deadlifts and all the other leg stuff is kinda overkill so I decided to help my arms and upper body to catch up I would throw squats in with my chest day that way I am doing upper body more then once a week. So the whole idea of a 2 days split was to make it possible for myself to hit the gym 4 days a week. So I added a day didn't take one out.
    Last edited by Brad263; 02-13-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300