Thread: Bench PR tips

Wannabebig Member

Bench PR tips

Hey guys,

Does anybody have advice for me on going for a 2RM bench PR?

I'm not looking for a new routine, just advice for the day of my attempt, and possibly the week leading up to it.

I was thinking I'd 6 or 7 days off before to make sure my muscles are fully recovered. I was also thinking that for a warmup on the day of I would do 8 reps at 50%, 4 reps at 70%, 2 at 90% then 2 at 100%.

I've never taken any supplements other than glutamine, creatine and protein, but I was thinking that maybe on the day of I should load up on caffeine or ephedra or something?

Thanks!

Wannabebig Member
    I might as well answer this question before you ask it: Why a 2 rep max and not a one rep max?

Because I have a bet with somebody about how much weight I'll be able to bench for 2 reps. I'll win $100 if I hit 225lbs, and an extra $3 for every pound over. I don't plan to lose, so you don't need to know about what that would cost me. 8-)

Looks good to me. I would recommend taking a wide stance and make sure that your feet are firmly planted on the floor. Retract your shoulder blades, and make sure you maintain tightness throughout the lift. Squeeze the bar tight the entire time.

That is what works for me.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Retract your shoulder blades, and make sure you maintain tightness throughout the lift. Squeeze the bar tight the entire time.
    Thanks for the advice. I never used to retract my shoulder blades or try to strangle the bar and it does make a big difference. It hasn't become habit yet, so I have to constantly remind myself.

Banned
    get allot more sleep the week of, it will help you allot

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    get allot more sleep the week of, it will help you allot
    I'll let my girlfriend know that I need BJ's nightly at 8. That should do it.

Wannabebig Member
    Make sure and spread your legs as wide as you can and really concentrate on getting extra power from your feet. Sounds weird, but it works.

Find a good benching article. I recommend that you practice a new style/form before you go and attempt to hit a PR in front of you're buddy's.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

What is your 2RM right now and how long do you have until you need to hit 225?
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Eat a lot the day before and the day of, up to a couple hours before you lift.

Make sure you're body's fueled and ready to go. Don't go in on an empty stomach.
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 03-11-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    What is your 2RM right now and how long do you have until you need to hit 225?
    I'm at 205lbs right now and I have a month to get up to 200lbs. Not easy, but I'm pushing hard for it.

Wannabebig Member
    Like others have said, get plenty of sleep and eat plenty throughout the day and before the workout. I definitely loose bench strength if my stomach feels empty.

225lb, am I safe to assume you're trying to do 2x45 per side?
    Last edited by mrMonkey; 03-12-2008 at 01:41 PM.

3 things:
    1. Diet - make sure you get very hydrated and carb-load before (eat a lot of good starches the night before/ morning of with a lot of water)
    2. Form - Go with a powerlifting form if you can. Big arch, tight everything, shoulder blades back, etc.
    3. Warmups - DO NOT do high rep warmups. You will eat all your energy and bench weak. Do 45x3, 95x3, 135x1, 185x1, then rest 3-5 minutes. Get an adrenaline rush going, and go for your attempt. Make sure you keep big air in your stomach and keep it tight.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Arch Arch Arch Arch. You'd be amazed at how much more you can bench by simply using the correct form.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

i'm surprised no one posted it, but here's a link to a really good t-nation article on proper bench technique:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Wannabebig Member
    wow, thanks for that link lakeripple. There's a few things in there I'm not doing, so hopefully it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    3 things:
    1. Diet - make sure you get very hydrated and carb-load before (eat a lot of good starches the night before/ morning of with a lot of water)
    2. Form - Go with a powerlifting form if you can. Big arch, tight everything, shoulder blades back, etc.
    3. Warmups - DO NOT do high rep warmups. You will eat all your energy and bench weak. Do 45x3, 95x3, 135x1, 185x1, then rest 3-5 minutes. Get an adrenaline rush going, and go for your attempt. Make sure you keep big air in your stomach and keep it tight.
    I've never found high rep warmups (like, less than 50% max) to negatively affect my max effort. I feel as though I do better with the high reps.