Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if i want to bench twice a week

Banned

if i want to bench twice a week

should i do a 5x5 both days? cant do max effort b/c i have no one to give me a spot. also, what days? i was thinking saturday and thursday

Just do a different exercise. Close grip, incline, db press, etc...

You can stick with the 5x5 for both or try 3x8 or 3x10 on the second day.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

You can still do 5x5 one day and have a DE day.

Don't bench twice a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior10 View Post
    Why?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

if you want to bench 2x per week, you will have to make adjustments to both workouts. one being a light day (DE) and the other heavy (ME). what is your goal for benching 2x per week? gain mass, strength, both?

thursday and saturday are too close to each other.

Wannabebig Member
    I recently went to twice a week for flat bench after doing it once a week for a year and a half. My flat bench was always progressing really slow. Now i seem to be able to increase the weight quicker every week.

On monday i do the whole normal flat, incline, and shoulder etc routine once a week but repeat just the flat bench only on Friday. I don't go light either.

Everyones different. Only you can find the best way.

Bench technique and propper form is everthing.

yea, why?
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Even with Creatine I am sore for several days after each bench workout, and that's with only 3 working sets!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bran Man View Post
    Even with Creatine I am sore for several days after each bench workout, and that's with only 3 working sets!
    Bet that would change if you started benching 2x a week.

failed, I thought you were benching twice per week already? If you do a me and de day, I believe the recommendation is the DE day 72 hours after the ME day, right guys?
    Last edited by joey54; 05-11-2008 at 08:44 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    failed, I thought you were benching twice per week already? If you do a me and de day, I believe the recommendation is the DE day 72 hours after the ME day, right guys?
    i was but i stopped because i wasnt so sure b/c i was doing heavy both days. instead of a DE and ME day im gonna do repeated effort+ME because theres no point in doing DE if im 140 pounds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Bet that would change if you started benching 2x a week.
    I always just associated the pain from lifting heavy amount of weight. I just figured my muscles would be sore from benching over 250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Why?
    I should have asked, but I am assuming he's lifting for mass. If he is, he's going heavy and his chest muscles would need about a week to grow without further tearing.

I agree that A chest workout does seem a bit unfinished if you don't have a spotter...maybe the OP can ask someone, or set his bench machine accordingly to hold the weights if he happens to drop it.

Banned
    I should have asked, but I am assuming he's lifting for mass. If he is, he's going heavy and his chest muscles would need about a week to grow without further tearing.

I agree that A chest workout does seem a bit unfinished if you don't have a spotter...maybe the OP can ask someone, or set his bench machine accordingly to hold the weights if he happens to drop it.
    dropping the weight isnt the problem, its getting the lift off. my bar rests on horizontal pins so its hard to unrack.

and im lifting for strength/mass

weighting 140 lbs isn't a reason that a DE day wouldn't benefit you, but experience could. you have no partners to lift with right now? are you lifting at a gym or at home?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I bench twice a week. One day heavy and one day light. I have pretty good size on me.

then why is it highly recommended to stimulate muscles twice a week for strength and mass training?

i am also pretty sure you are pulling "a week to grow without further tearing" out of your ass.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bran Man View Post
    What do you mean by "Even with Creatine [sic]...?" Since when does creatine help with recovery?

[btw: creatine is not a brand name, so no need to capitalize it.]
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    lets say i wanna be a bodybuilder? should i do a 3x8 or 4x8 both days? also waiting on some dumbbells or a squat rack so i can start squatting again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    What do you mean by "Even with Creatine [sic]...?" Since when does creatine help with recovery?

[btw: creatine is not a brand name, so no need to capitalize it.]
    I just always noticed I was not as sore when I took creatine

Quote Originally Posted by failed View Post
    lets say i wanna be a bodybuilder? should i do a 3x8 or 4x8 both days? also waiting on some dumbbells or a squat rack so i can start squatting again.
    failed, i think you would have no problem with doing an ME type day and an RE day, but you might want to alternate exercises to avoid burning out. you are pretty young. why not try the bill starr 5x5?

Just get under the bar!

I work all my muscles twice a week except legs. It all depends on how your body reacts to lifting. Some people I know only lift body parts once a week and some lift them twice a week. Try it out and see how your body responds. I have been working my chest/triceps out twice a week for almost 2 years and my bench has went from 160 to 290.
    Last edited by Fighter_15; 05-12-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...er%27s+journal

The link is my journal. I am a 21 year old bodybuilder. Currently dieting down for my first show.

I do some variation of bench 3x a week and am making some pretty good gains. Different rep ranges on each day.

you could also, although a sometimes a pain to work out if you don't want to bench 3x a week, include ME RE and DE. I have great success with having DE once a week every week and then the second time I target the movement either do RE or ME. this way you can let your muscles rest for a decent amount of time. i think for an intermediate lifter 3x a week may get excessive really quick and with the aforementioned style (only 2x a week) you have potential for solid improvement with sufficient rest time.

also, don't be afraid of variations of the movements. if you feel like incline bench rather than flat for ME or RE, then do it. If you have a sticking point work on it with the variations. make use of all of the tools you can to get to your goal. it will keep you sane and improve GPP which not only is healthy but can aid your overall goals if planned for correctly (in the sense of diet and rest.)
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-12-2008 at 08:39 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!