Thread: Wrist Wraps and/or Wrist Straps?

Wrist Wraps and/or Wrist Straps?

I know most of you here are macho and lift heavy with bare hands (use chalk), but I'm not up to that point yet. After reading a few threads, for the fear of getting flamed, I'm going to toss away my harbinger gloves that I've been using for all these years - before you all tell me to go buy a matching purse I'll admit they did somewhat help me with callices and with dumbell exercises... especially with dumbells from slipping out of my hands.

Biggest issue I have is with grip (like during hammer curls, deadlifts, pullups etc.). Other issue I have is with my wrists. During incline dumbell presses, my wrist sometimes bends outwards and that ruins what should've been a perfectly good set.

I am not sure if what I need are wrist wraps (for dumbell presses, benchpressing) or wrist straps (for deadlifts, pullups, hammer curls). Do you recommend that I buy both and use them accordingly? Would it be weird and counter-productive if I use them both at the same time?

It's good to have both and I'd recommend wrist wraps if your wrists are bothering you. However, don't rely on straps all the time. I use straps for heavy shrugs and stiff leg deadlift sometimes but if your grip becomes an issue while doing hammer curls, then you obviously need to build your grip strength first.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rag15 View Post
    I know most of you here are macho and lift heavy with bare hands (use chalk), but I'm not up to that point yet. After reading a few threads, for the fear of getting flamed, I'm going to toss away my harbinger gloves that I've been using for all these years - before you all tell me to go buy a matching purse I'll admit they did somewhat help me with callices and with dumbell exercises... especially with dumbells from slipping out of my hands.

Biggest issue I have is with grip (like during hammer curls, deadlifts, pullups etc.). Other issue I have is with my wrists. During incline dumbell presses, my wrist sometimes bends outwards and that ruins what should've been a perfectly good set.

I am not sure if what I need are wrist wraps (for dumbell presses, benchpressing) or wrist straps (for deadlifts, pullups, hammer curls). Do you recommend that I buy both and use them accordingly? Would it be weird and counter-productive if I use them both at the same time?
    i would say that you buy both of them. using straps isn't as bad as you think they are. if it helps you develop a really solid, strong back, then why does it matter that some people would say "oh, that guy uses straps". use them as a tool for when you get to your heavier sets. for example, i go no straps for my first few warmup sets of deadlifts but as it starts to get heavier, like 315 and above, i put the straps on so that i don't wear out my grip. also, a lot of places don't allow chalk for the mess and other stuff so straps are a good alternative to this.

Gloves are nothing bad, they definitely help with callus (or callices) so why not use them..plus, learn to do what you want in life and not ask for approval of others... don't fear being flamed by some guys on internet forum you don't even know...

Quote Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
    Gloves are nothing bad, they definitely help with callus (or callices) so why not use them..plus, learn to do what you want in life and not ask for approval of others... don't fear being flamed by some guys on internet forum you don't even know...
    i think if you're just starting out, gloves might be ok. but after a while they become a nuisance. i remember having great difficulty with deadlifts and other pulling exercises when i wore gloves. the gloves will make the bar thicker, which will be harder to grip, plus my grip sucked in general because my hand were too soft. nothing wrong with calluses. if anything i like them, they improve my grip.

i think wraps and straps are the way to go if you don't use chalk.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    i think if you're just starting out, gloves might be ok. but after a while they become a nuisance. i remember having great difficulty with deadlifts and other pulling exercises when i wore gloves. the gloves will make the bar thicker, which will be harder to grip, plus my grip sucked in general because my hand were too soft. nothing wrong with calluses. if anything i like them, they improve my grip.

Can't really agree that gloves worsen the grip.... they worked good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    It's good to have both and I'd recommend wrist wraps if your wrists are bothering you. However, don't rely on straps all the time. I use straps for heavy shrugs and stiff leg deadlift sometimes but if your grip becomes an issue while doing hammer curls, then you obviously need to build your grip strength first.
    Its not that I can't lift the dumbells when doing hammers. I have the strength to lift the weight but while in the vertical position, the dumbell starts to slip... but when I use gloves, leather on it does help me hold on to them tight.

I should also mention that my grip has been falling steadily in the last 2-3 years. Arthritis (rheumatoid) runs pretty strong in my family and I think I'm seeing a few syptoms already (I'm 29 now). Just started Glucosamine Chondroitin supplementation ...

Quote Originally Posted by dropshot001 View Post
    i would say that you buy both of them.

Do straps in any way at all help me avoid callouses? I mean, can I stretigically place them to cover the areas where they're formed ..

Quote Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
    Actually, I posted this thread looking for a way to improve my grip and help me with my last sets (that are the heaviest). Like I said, gloves help with me stuff like hammers, but they are pretty uselss for deadlifts and benchpress.

Not only that, I think it makes sense that when you use gloves you are actually increasing the circumference of the bar/dumbbell you're holding.
    Last edited by rag15; 05-30-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Do straps in any way at all help me avoid callouses? I mean, can I stretigically place them to cover the areas where they're formed ..
    Yes, you can wrap the straps around the bar in the area you grip it. so essentially you are making the bar's circumference slightly bigger, but the grip will be much better. calluses will stop forming when your grip stops slipping.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Thanks! Now I need some product suggestions.

How about APT Pro Wrist wraps...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WOZp8YVFJ8

For the straps, I think I'm going to go with Black Mamba
    http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/118023

Before I buy these two, I just want to make sure that I can use them both at the same time? I mean if my wrist is wrapped with wraps, wouldn't that come in the way of tying the straps around my wrists?

If you think these are an overkill for an intermediate lifter, how about an alternative like newgrips that seem to be a combo of wrist wrap and hand cover. Only thing I don't understand is the cover is attached to the wrap on a velcro. Wouldn't that just peel off during heavier lifts?
    http://www.newgrip.com/

Last edited by rag15; 05-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.

I have both, I have a set of Inzer wrist wraps I have used for years benching because I fractured my wrist years ago and they work great!

I only use wrist straps when doing my back accessory work and only after I have done deads, I never wear them doing dead lifts. Chalk only.

Just remeber never to rely on straps.

Now I need some product suggestions.

How about APT Pro Wrist wraps...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WOZp8YVFJ8

For the straps, I think I'm going to go with Black Mamba

Before I buy these two, I just want to make sure that I can use them both at the same time? I mean if my wrist is wrapped with wraps, wouldn't that come in the way of tying the straps around my wrists?

If you think these are an overkill for an intermediate lifter, how about an alternative like newgrips that seem to be a combo of wrist wrap and hand cover. Only thing I don't understand is the cover is attached to the wrap on a velcro. Wouldn't that just peel off during heavier lifts?
    http://www.newgrip.com/

APT wraps are great, I have a set for my really heavy sets. But I like my 10 year old Inzer 12in wraps much better as they dont pinch my skin like the APT's do. But thats just do to being broken in I'm sure.

I would get a 12in wraps, no need for longer ones unless you are serious into powerlifting.

You do not need to wear wrist straps the same time you do the wraps, there is no need.

Here is the Inzer's I have. Either one in a 12in will do fine.
    http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?p...PS_IRON_WRISTZ

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    ...calluses will stop forming when your grip stops slipping.
    This is a key point in regards to calluses. Try grabbing the bar in your hand where it's going to end up being anyways. Like at the base of your fingers on pulls. With the hammer curls you could grip it just under the side of the 'bell that comes upward, then it wouldn't have anywhere to go cuz it's already there.

And, to some extent, you want to develop a good base layer of calluses. Think of them as natures gloves.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Thanks for the tip on buying shorter wraps. I don't have meaty wrists so short (12") will do. How about the wrist straps. What width would you recommend? 1-1/2" or 2" ?

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    As far as wraps and straps are concerned, if you're not competing then there aren't any rules that apply to their use. The powerlifters are gonna use wraps but not straps. I've seen the stongman competitors use straps. The people that compete in these sports tend to have their opinions in these matters influenced by the rules of their sport, which of course is perfectly natural.

As a recreational trainee, myself, I feel that as long as a person doesn't abuse lifting aides then do what you need to. If your wrists bother you then use wraps on your heaviest sets if your so inclined. I use chalk as a grip aide when pulling. I also train my grip using a fat bar and gripping devices. But when I get to the point of needing to use a mixed grip on pulls (not there yet) I'm gonna get me some straps and use those instead. I think it's a matter of personal preference, and don't see one as being better than the other.

I think because of the type of physical work I do for employment that my grip is probably proportionally stronger than the rest of my body still. Can't wait till I'm lifting enough that my grip fails!
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/hedust.html

These are the shiznit. Absolutely bombproof.
    Sarvamangalam!

Its not that I can't lift the dumbells when doing hammers. I have the strength to lift the weight but while in the vertical position, the dumbell starts to slip... but when I use gloves, leather on it does help me hold on to them tight.

I should also mention that my grip has been falling steadily in the last 2-3 years. Arthritis (rheumatoid) runs pretty strong in my family and I think I'm seeing a few syptoms already (I'm 29 now). Just started Glucosamine Chondroitin supplementation ...

Actually, I posted this thread looking for a way to improve my grip and help me with my last sets (that are the heaviest). Like I said, gloves help with me stuff like hammers, but they are pretty uselss for deadlifts and benchpress.

Not only that, I think it makes sense that when you use gloves you are actually increasing the circumference of the bar/dumbbell you're holding.
    I had better grip with gloves on bench press.. haven't done deads with it so I can't say about that.. maybe your gloves were bad.