Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To all the Strongman...

To all the Strongman...

I wanted to get a tire for GPP and do tire flips. However, seeing as how i have no experience with this I have a few questions...

I currently deadlift 315.
    I would like to do the tire flips for GPP and recovery. What kind of tire should I use? by that I mean how much should it weigh? also, what sort of program would I do with it? I really have no experience with this and I dont wanna go wrong before I buy a tire. Its hard to find tires out here because I live in NYC and there aren't too many farms out here if you know what I mean. I don't have a car. So, its impossible to go upstate or out of state for a tire. Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

I can help you to get a tire if you are willing to drive into Jersey?

Anything in the 500 lbs range would be good for your needs.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtron View Post
    I currently deadlift 315.
    I would like to do the tire flips for GPP and recovery. What kind of tire should I use? by that I mean how much should it weigh?
    I've been told that you should be able to flip a tire that weighs twice what you deadlift. I think that's about right, I was able to flip a 880 pound tire the first time I tried it, and that was back when my max deadlift was right at 495.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    I've been told that you should be able to flip a tire that weighs twice what you deadlift. I think that's about right, I was able to flip a 880 pound tire the first time I tried it, and that was back when my max deadlift was right at 495.
    That is a typical rule of thumb; but when you are looking for a conditioning tire you want one that you can one-motion flip and that you can perform for 10 consecutive repetitions without resting.

A 500 lbs tire makes an ideal conditioning tool for most intermediate athletes.

For an advaced athlete or one who is much taller / heavier (since those are factors with tire flip) then a 600-700 lbs tire may be used.

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post

I can drive into new jersey... but as far as the car necessary... I mean I would have to ask a friend to drive me period. You think a pick-up would be necessary?
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

Banned
    A typical 500 lb earth moving tire is in the range of 4-5' in diameter. Yes, you will need a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    A typical 500 lb earth moving tire is in the range of 4-5' in diameter. Yes, you will need a truck.
    In that case, I can have a friend rent a pick-up. If you're still willing let me know. Thanks.

Virton - I will ask around for you. Might even be able to find one in New York but chances are that you would still have to rent a truck to pick it up; though perhaps someone could deliver if you paid them for gas/etc.

If you don't hear back from me by next week just shoot me a PM.

Virton - I will ask around for you. Might even be able to find one in New York but chances are that you would still have to rent a truck to pick it up; though perhaps someone could deliver if you paid them for gas/etc.

If you don't hear back from me by next week just shoot me a PM.
    Yeah I'll figure out the truck thing. I definitely appreciate the search. Thanks.

Virton -

I spoke with a couple of the guys up there and they said that the tires came from a municipal yard in Long Island. He is trying to find their contact information and will get back to me.

In the meantime one of them said that he can get you a free week pass to this gym: http://www.coliseumgym.com/

The gym does have strongman equipment including at least two different tires, an axle, log, farmers, yoke, and some other implements. Let me know if you are interested in training there some time and I can put you in touch with him.

Virton -

I spoke with a couple of the guys up there and they said that the tires came from a municipal yard in Long Island. He is trying to find their contact information and will get back to me.

In the meantime one of them said that he can get you a free week pass to this gym: http://www.coliseumgym.com/

The gym does have strongman equipment including at least two different tires, an axle, log, farmers, yoke, and some other implements. Let me know if you are interested in training there some time and I can put you in touch with him.
    Oh man that sounds awesome! Thanks dude. I would definitely dig the free week pass. You think there are experienced lifters there that can criticize my form in the big three?

Oh man that sounds awesome! Thanks dude. I would definitely dig the free week pass. You think there are experienced lifters there that can criticize my form in the big three?
    There are a couple of strongman guys there, I am not sure about powerlifters though. If you are interested in training with some powerlifters I do know of at least one guy in Long Island and can find out where he trains.

PM me your email address and I will get you in touch with the guy at Coliseum for the week pass.

I know a place in Stratford, CT that gives these tires away. I got mine there. They even helped me load it into my truck. I can look it up if you are interested.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

There are a couple of strongman guys there, I am not sure about powerlifters though. If you are interested in training with some powerlifters I do know of at least one guy in Long Island and can find out where he trains.

PM me your email address and I will get you in touch with the guy at Coliseum for the week pass.
    There aren't very many powerlifters at Coliseum, and even fewer that compete consistantly. It is a subway and bus ride, plus a walk away and you could probably get there in an hour to an hour and a half from manhattan. There is a monolift, Forza bench, deadlift platform and a GHR, but the monolift is seldom used. There is a crew of strongman there, and they get together on Saturdays to do events. I just left there and have moved to long island. I train at World's Gym in West Babylon on Saturdays and in my garage during the week. There is an 800 and 900 lb bencher who train at World's (plus a lot of other guys coming up and a strongman crew). Coliseum on the other hand, (other than the brief time Vlad Alhazov was there) has had no one of that caliber train there consistantly. If you want help getting together with the guys at coliseum let me know and I will put you in touch with the right people. You may want to check out 19th Street Gym or Edge Gyms. They are not "hardcore" facilities, but at the very minimum they wont throw you out for deadlifting. Where in the city do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    There aren't very many powerlifters at Coliseum, and even fewer that compete consistantly. It is a subway and bus ride, plus a walk away and you could probably get there in an hour to an hour and a half from manhattan. There is a monolift, Forza bench, deadlift platform and a GHR, but the monolift is seldom used. There is a crew of strongman there, and they get together on Saturdays to do events. I just left there and have moved to long island. I train at World's Gym in West Babylon on Saturdays and in my garage during the week. There is an 800 and 900 lb bencher who train at World's (plus a lot of other guys coming up and a strongman crew). Coliseum on the other hand, (other than the brief time Vlad Alhazov was there) has had no one of that caliber train there consistantly. If you want help getting together with the guys at coliseum let me know and I will put you in touch with the right people. You may want to check out 19th Street Gym or Edge Gyms. They are not "hardcore" facilities, but at the very minimum they wont throw you out for deadlifting. Where in the city do you live?
    Thats just it. I live in brooklyn. I go to ballys. Pity me. I choose sunday mornings because I know that 85 percent of the people that go there will be hungover from saturday night. Enough about that. I would definitely like to try it out. I mean my goal is simple.... to get stronger. I figure being around more experienced lifters will help me. I don't mind asking people if I'm doing something wrong, but I would rather ask people that know what they're talking about.

Oh and I would probably ask someone to drive me there. From South Brooklyn to Forest hills by train will take forever. Its a 25 min drive.

Thats just it. I live in brooklyn. I go to ballys. Pity me. I choose sunday mornings because I know that 85 percent of the people that go there will be hungover from saturday night. Enough about that. I would definitely like to try it out. I mean my goal is simple.... to get stronger. I figure being around more experienced lifters will help me. I don't mind asking people if I'm doing something wrong, but I would rather ask people that know what they're talking about.

Oh and I would probably ask someone to drive me there. From South Brooklyn to Forest hills by train will take forever. Its a 25 min drive.
    If you can get to the M train that will drop you off about a mile away. Last stop is Metropolitan Avenue. PM me your contact info and I will forward to the guys I know.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I know a place in Stratford, CT that gives these tires away. I got mine there. They even helped me load it into my truck. I can look it up if you are interested.
    believe i would love to, but its too far... As i mentioned i would ask a friend to drive. Its easier getting into LI or NJ from here. CT is very far. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    If you can get to the M train that will drop you off about a mile away. Last stop is Metropolitan Avenue. PM me your contact info and I will forward to the guys I know.
    yeah i would rather ask a friend to drive me.... Itll take me an hour to get to the M.

You should have an email in your inbox from a gentleman named Tony. He is one of the strongmen who trains at Coliseum and can help to coordinate a time for you to train with them, and also may know of potential resources for obtaining your own tire.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help with.

You should have an email in your inbox from a gentleman named Tony. He is one of the strongmen who trains at Coliseum and can help to coordinate a time for you to train with them, and also may know of potential resources for obtaining your own tire.

Sorry I am late on this very busy couple of days. Just sent the email, feel free to private message me here as well if you have any questions.

- Tony

believe i would love to, but its too far... As i mentioned i would ask a friend to drive. Its easier getting into LI or NJ from here. CT is very far. Thanks though.
    Stratford isn't far from you. Just go over either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone and get on I95. It's like an hour.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by BodyByGamma View Post
    Sorry I am late on this very busy couple of days. Just sent the email, feel free to private message me here as well if you have any questions.

- Tony
    tony got your email.

tom thanks for your help. The sooner im around experienced lifters the better. I think i pulled something while deadlifting yesterday. Nothing disc related. Feels muscular. Doing the ice thing and such. Going to colosseum will be a good thing.

how do you check the weight of your tire my parents just bought some land and there was a big ole one out there

Local recycling center will have a scale! Scrap metal and the like! Also most trash dumps have a drive on scale,weigh your truck with the tire in the back and then without,then subtract! Also some feed stores have large grain scales! Just some ideas! Hope this helps!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Quote Originally Posted by endymion88 View Post
    how do you check the weight of your tire my parents just bought some land and there was a big ole one out there
    Check the link below:

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...ire_weight.pdf