Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by endymion88 View Post
    a little teaser video of whats to come
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfTmznZjuDA

Video
    Nice! Good Work.

endymion88: impressive pulling, I shouldnt have let you entered lol

jthomas: yep too late I"ll let you know when the next one goes down

As for prizes and what determines winner; had it been my choice only I would have set up 2 or at most 3 weight classes, no formula as I dont care too much for it. Now I understand light guys prefer it and that's why we choose it for this one but if Im the one to organize the next contest around here I won't set it up the same way.
    Now you've got to understand it all started as a challenge between me and a couple of lads, and I just created a thread to see if a couple more lifters felt like joining I never thought it would be bring that much people.
    Anyway thanks again to ALN for stepping up big time and I have no doubt it's going to be fun seeing people break PRs left and right. Also thanks to Travis and Vinny for getting involved in this.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Powerlifting is a sport that rewards lifters in lighter classes, but generally the big contests are all about size / strength.

Has anyone here heard of Hideaki Inaba?

Most probably have not, but he is one of the most dominant powerlifters of all time winning 17 strait IPF world titles (the only large federation at the time). His lifts were 535/265/525... RAW at 114 lbs. The reason that people don't know about him is because those lifts are not very uncommon in the general public so he does not get much credit, despite being the first man to squat 4X bodyweight and the first man to total 10X bodyweight.

I have competed in more than 25 strength contests and in many cases am giving up anywhere from 20 to 100+ lbs to the other competitors. It is about having fun and challenging yourself; there are plenty of instances where I have beat out some of these monsters and also times where I did not. The thing is that I keep coming back for more, determined to get bigger/stronger/more athletic.

This is an online contest that is meant to be a fun challenge to motivate some guys. I know that people on here are competitive and want to win, and I hate to say it but powerlifting is a sport where you can always win with the number of federations, weight classes, age categories, gear classes, and tested/non-tested. This contest is for bragging rights on an online forum, and a company decided to chip in prizes which is very grateful.

One of the best ways to get stronger is to train/compete with guys who are bigger than you. I have done this for years and it works very well. So for anyone who is a big light and concerned that things are not fair, just look at this as an opportunity to improve yourself!

Sorry for the rambling, I just think this contest is a great idea. I am sure that future contests will involve different disciplines where other types of athletes can excel (conditioning, etc.).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

future contests it could be simple say these contests are when there is an entry fee then there could be three classes

lightweight

middle

heavy

simple enough i think
    agreed

I think its pretty cool we are already talking about the next contest. I think April would be a good date for the next lifts. Give everyone time to muddle through the holidays and schedule their workouts to peak at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyWay2TheTop View Post
    endymion88: impressive pulling, I shouldnt have let you entered lol
    i'm glad you did let me in though this has been great fun and i've been staying up at night for the stupidest reasons (thinking about what numbers to pick, what stances to use, etc) i still do only have 3 years of lifting experience under my belt and still feel weak though.
    Last edited by endymion88; 11-01-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monk2in1 View Post
    I am not complaining because everything that is being offered is a gift. I just want to make that clear. I am just a little disappointed that the heavier guys competing obviously have a crazy advantage. And there is really nothing a smaller guy can win except formula. I love competing, I just hate it when you stand no chance at winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I'm right there with ya - as far as being a little guy with no chance of winning. But honestly, that isn't why I'm competing. For me, this is a fun competition to throw some numbers up. My goal is to total more than 1050 lbs. That will be about 90 lbs more than my last meet, which took place back in 1986.

This competition was started for fun. AtLargNutrition stepped up big time with a stunning prize package - but don't let that blind to what the original intent of this meet is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Maybe a future contest can be based on ratio to bodyweight (wilks per lift), in that most of the lighter guys would have a distinct advantage.

The spirit of this competition is to push people to shoot for PR's and to motivate through online competition. Just like with everything in life, if you take something too seriously then it is no longer fun.
    Tom, I agree that this competition pushes people to hit PRs which is awesome. I just kind of think it sucks that the competition is called "the strongest of the weak ones" and there are so many great prizes, yet we're letting Pros compete in it...

Just seems a little unfair, especially when the original contest was just between a few friends, and offered to open it up to others with similar stats...

I'm not complaining for myself, I have no chance. I just love the motivation. But motivation comes with competition, and the competition is only really among a few guys.

I know for me personally, the motivation and desire to compete in this competition dropped significantly when I saw some of the names on the list that I would be "competing" against. I wouldn't even call it a competition.
    Last edited by Painzer; 11-01-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

I don't care about the rules. The next contest that comes by I'm going to kick everyone's ass. You will all be able to say then how fun it was to get your ass kicked by me. I will live off AtLarge Nutrition products and then win the next contest! Enjoy this while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Painzer View Post
    Tom, I agree that this competition pushes people to hit PRs which is awesome. I just kind of think it sucks that the competition is called "the strongest of the weak ones" and there are so many great prizes, yet we're letting Pros compete in it...

Just seems a little unfair, especially when the original contest was just between a few friends, and offered to open it up to others with similar stats...

I'm not complaining for myself, I have no chance. I just love the motivation. But motivation comes with competition, and the competition is only really among a few guys.

I know for me personally, the motivation and desire to compete in this competition dropped significantly when I saw some of the names on the list that I would be "competing" against. I wouldn't even call it a competition.

I hear what you are saying.

Don't worry, we'll be running competitions in the future and we'll make sure to take into account everyones level/experience with them.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Painzer,

I know exactly what you mean - which is why I keep coming back to what the original competition was about - just a bunch of guys throwing up videos of their best lifts. I have no chance to compete against the heavier, stronger guys with years of experience. But I do have the chance to set my own PRs.

It is almost as if the competition is divided within itself - those guys with a shot at the prizes, and the rest of us for whom the competition was originally designed. I'm fine with that too.

There are a couple guys here that I really feel are my competition. Here is a rundown of where I'm currently at:
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 177
    Bench - 265
    Squat - 405
    Dead - 385

That puts me real close with a few of you guys and that is where I'm hoping to make my showing. The strong guys... let them run for the glory and the prizes. The rest of us, the 'Strongest of the Weak' will continue on in the original intent of the competition.

In a couple years, we'll be the ones that the new guys are complaining about.

In a couple years, we'll be the ones that the new guys are complaining about.
    EXACTLY! nicely said!

This is the point i was tring to make, it started as 1200 or what ever total it was, then it got where guys with close to elite totals were in it, those guys have plenty of places to compete,let the little guys have a chance at something.I am not bitching about it,just saying i agree with your point.

there is one pro in the competition and his raw lifts are not great, nobody in this is superhuman i don't see what all this complaining is about it is ruining the spirit of the competition and i'm sure it's leaving a bad taste in at large nutritions mouth, they put up 1000 dollars worth of prizes expecting nothing and they get people complaining. this is for fun. you do not go into a real life competition knowing who you are lifting against do you? so what if you don't win money the whole purpose of this is to make new personal bests. i can guarantee nobody would have anything negative to say about this if aln didn't give prizes. like was said earlier this is the first competition there will be more competitions later and i'm sure there will be more equalizers next time like more weightclasses this is a testrun. all anybody can really do is train to get stronger, kill some weights in the gym, set some bitchin pr's at the end of this month, and kill some more weights to beat your opponents next time!

'nuff said about all that. Now back to posting some vids, numbers, stats, trash talking, etc. This comp is going to be fun... for me, the hardest about it will be trying to figure out how to get my videos online! I am not technically astute!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    'nuff said about all that. Now back to posting some vids, numbers, stats, trash talking, etc. This comp is going to be fun... for me, the hardest about it will be trying to figure out how to get my videos online! I am not technically astute!
    lol i had my girlfriend make me a youtube so she can do it. maybe i could post a vid of my weak benching that i do tonight...i may be able to deadlift but that sure doesn't help my benching >.<# i'm so close to that 700 raw conventional deadlift @198 drug free i wish i could do it in this competition but unless i magically gain a bunch on my pulling in the next week and a half (when i'm taking vids) then it's outta the cards...maybe if i eat like 30 bull testicles a day it'll give it a boost...hmmmmmmmmm

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    This is the point i was tring to make, it started as 1200 or what ever total it was, then it got where guys with close to elite totals were in it, those guys have plenty of places to compete,let the little guys have a chance at something.I am not bitching about it,just saying i agree with your point.

This is what I saw when it started:

"We're having a little challenge with some of the guys keeping a log here; namely Flynn, Mattburns, Brihead and anyone that feels like entering it. We're all pretty much in the same ballpark strength wise, I'd say somewhere around 1200-1350 raw. We'll go for it the last week of November and lifts must preferably be recorded on video."

I don't think anyone joining is looking at a total much higher than that. Like others have said, this is supposed to be a fun and motivating way to hit PR's and improve YOUR total. I love competing, I love sports, I love winning....but that isn't always what is important. I'd say if you did this comp and put 30 lbs on your total, then you already did win. With 20+ people lifting, you can't expect to have high odds of winning.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    This is what I saw when it started:

"We're having a little challenge with some of the guys keeping a log here; namely Flynn, Mattburns, Brihead and anyone that feels like entering it. We're all pretty much in the same ballpark strength wise, I'd say somewhere around 1200-1350 raw. We'll go for it the last week of November and lifts must preferably be recorded on video."

I don't think anyone joining is looking at a total much higher than that. Like others have said, this is supposed to be a fun and motivating way to hit PR's and improve YOUR total. I love competing, I love sports, I love winning....but that isn't always what is important. I'd say if you did this comp and put 30 lbs on your total, then you already did win. With 20+ people lifting, you can't expect to have high odds of winning.

I think i was lookat at peoples geared lifts, so i was wrong, and everyone is ok with how this is set up, so thats cool with me. I think these things are great and hope i can get into one sometime, if my old skinny body doesnt fall apart.

there is one pro in the competition and his raw lifts are not great, nobody in this is superhuman i don't see what all this complaining is about it is ruining the spirit of the competition and i'm sure it's leaving a bad taste in at large nutritions mouth, they put up 1000 dollars worth of prizes expecting nothing and they get people complaining. this is for fun. you do not go into a real life competition knowing who you are lifting against do you? so what if you don't win money the whole purpose of this is to make new personal bests. i can guarantee nobody would have anything negative to say about this if aln didn't give prizes. like was said earlier this is the first competition there will be more competitions later and i'm sure there will be more equalizers next time like more weightclasses this is a testrun. all anybody can really do is train to get stronger, kill some weights in the gym, set some bitchin pr's at the end of this month, and kill some more weights to beat your opponents next time!

I hope it doesnt leave a bad taste in anyones mouth.everyone has an oppion,if no one ever asked questions it would not be a good world.

Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    I hope it doesnt leave a bad taste in anyones mouth.everyone has an oppion,if no one ever asked questions it would not be a good world.
    Its all good. No worries!

yeah i like what timk is doing by trying to get this back in the direction of being fun.

stupid bench training day. bench seems to be slightly going down very slowly though which i'm guessing because i just keep losing too much weight..i'm not trying to lose this much i'm having serious trouble eating and i think i might be fighting off the swine flu i got minor symptoms but it seems my body is trying to keep it at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatone View Post
    Nice! Good Work.
    Endymion88, I watched your video of your deadlift, nice strong set.
    Last edited by powerm64; 11-03-2009 at 04:38 AM.

My teaser Squat video

This is my teaser squat video, more to come at the end of the month. Please critique my form and depth.

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerm64.../0/7m7GSgfRoP0

It looked a tad high to me. I think you could nail it if you went deeper because it looked easy for you once you got set.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    It looked a tad high to me. I think you could nail it if you went deeper because it looked easy for you once you got set.
    I will make sure I go deeper next time. Thanks for your critique.