Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: ECA HG MMA and all that

The Highland Brawler Geometheus's Avatar
    2/15/2010

Up early and working out at 24 hr gym with a friend...the plan was bench press and some shoulder work and than work in with my buddy for his normal tuesday morning workout. It was still not easy to get up super early and I am finding it tough to get in everything I want with sharing equipment and talking, but I will take the good with the bad, just been a while since I worked out with someone else.

Workout:

Warmup- tried to keep it more normal but didnt get it all in

SMR- skip

DM- Jumping Jacks to Y-Jacks to X-Jacks to Crossovers 15
    T-Circles to I-Circles 25

MA- T-Roll Pushups 12, Reverse Burpees 12, LYTPU w/5lb DBs 10 each,
    Inside Crescent to Outside Crescent to Roundhouse Kick- skip

CNS- Plyo Pushups-replace with speed pushups 25, 25

Bench Press - yeah not with a machine but a real bar and bench!!!
    135*10, 185*8, 275*6, 275*3, 295*2, 315*1 - last rep was ugly so I didnt go for 320 or 345 which was my plan
    225*10 - burned it out and last few were ugly, I feel like since my last time on the "real" bench and getting down so much in weight that I have also lost a bit of strength... it also might be the 5am versus afternoon workout time

Incline Bench Press - I can not remember the last time I did this and the movement took a bit to find again
    135*10, 155*10, 185*8, 205*6

Military Press to Front Lat Raises to Side Lat Raises than a break 4 times:
    DB Seated Military Press 40*10, 60*8, 75*6, 85*5 - slow on last ones

Front Lat Raises 20*10 for 2 sets, 25*10 for 2 sets

Side Lat Raises 20*10 for 2 sets, 25*10 for 2 sets

Rear Delt Machine - workout partner does it with an "open grip" pushing fron wrist bones on bars and I felt it much more in my delt this way, so I learned something new today
    100*10, 120*10, 120*9

French Press to DB Curls than a break 3 times:
    French Press 65*10 for 3 sets - felt this a bit in my elbow but I think that is bc I normally only have the 50s to use

DB Curls 35*10 for 3 sets

Cool Down - light jog and stretching

LATER ON......

Cardio:

60 min fast walk - I wanted to join in one of the pickup soccer games but the fields were still real wet and no one was playing so I still made the best of the first sunny day in a few weeks.

Chin-ups 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

ALSO......

Cardio: ..... for 2/15/2010

I forgot to mention it until just now but yesterday I also did a cardio session late in the day after the morning workout at the 24hr gym. I went back to that rockwall I previous have mentioned and owned that thing, with a now mostly healed up callus, and did about an hour session. Great sweat!
    Last edited by Geometheus; 02-16-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    ~G~
    Best Raw Lifts Former/Current: 445/505 SQ, 425/345 BP, 530/425 DL
    My training log.... on the way back up with new focus
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130681

Props on the way you've been going at it guy.

2/17/2010

Coke: Thank you for your continued support

Huskybear: I thought about it some more and read over your journal last night looking at what is happening with your bench. IMHO I would say to add in some decline bench work and another tricep movement. I am not sure what all you have at your disposal, equipment wise, but I think those movements are a good place to start. I would focus on recruitment and do lighter weight for 4 sets with reps in the 10-12 range. I am an old Marine so I also would say do pushups and lots of them. They arent fancy but they are easy to work in outside of the gym and just try to hit tight sets of 25-50 a few times during the day. No matter the job and I have had many I do them on the floor beside my desk at work or in a conference room out of the way and try to get a good 200 in throughout the course of the day. We are about the same weight and from the look of your deadlifts and squats close in strength so I am just telling you what worked for me to help my bench since you asked. I am sure other people who read your journal will also have ideas so I will also post this in yours for them to read. Another thing I noticed but am not sure about is what grip you are using I see a few times you mention your finger placement in different spots, you might want to drop down in weight and see what feels best -same for foot and back placements.

Up early and working out at 24 hr gym with my friend again. The 4:45 AM wake up call is getting easier and easier. I still feel like I am rushed to get everything done in an hour but that is my gym partners schedule.

Workout:

Warmup- not as formulamatic as normal but did some good stretching and DM

SMR- skip

DM- Jumping Jacks to Y-Jacks to X-Jacks to Crossovers 15
    T-Circles to I-Circles 25

MA- skip
    CNS- Plyo Pushups-skip

Squats- my workout partner was a bodybuilder for about 5 years and he has some different ways of doing things. I am up for learning and watching most of the time but he was persistent that I try this with him... he called it the 100 Squat Challange. I googled it when I got home before typing this up and havent found anything that looks close to what we did but here is the description for your reading pleasure

95*10 -he said start light
    135*10 - normal warmup weight for me
    185*10 - I notice he doesnt move to this weight...?
    205*10 - at this point he tells me I can do as many reps per set as I want not just 10, oops my bad and after the set I ask him why he is going up in weight so slowly.
    225*10 - at this point he tells me I am also required to add a minimum of 10lbs to a side after each rest and rests should be kept in the 60-90 sec range. His true sadistic nature is revealed.
    245*15 - I hope to catch up on rep count before weight gets up much higher
    265*20 - this is where I realized I should have heard all the rules before I started the 100 Squat Challange
    285*8 - grind it out
    305*5 - started to catch a second wind
    325*2 - finished out the 100 and in fairness could have kept going due to the weird second wind hitting once I got over 300 but I thought better of it and wanted to be able to walk tomorrow

Leg Curls to Leg Ext to Tri Ext to Bicep Curls than a break for 3 times:
    Leg Curls 60*20, 80*15, 100*10 - I missed using this machine

Leg Ext 60*20, 100*15, 120*10 - kept it real light, probably to light but legs and ***** was starting to burn

Tricep Extension Machine 60*20, 60*15, 60*10

Bicep Curl Machine 60*20, 60*15, 60*10

300 crunches, no squats, 100 pushups

In and Out in an Hour.... I have to say that I need more time. Maybe if this becomes a regular thing, working out with a partner at this 24 gym, I will add a second session for cleanup in the afternoons or evenings.
    ~G~

Strong benching and squatting!!
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Quote Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
    Strong benching and squatting!!
    Thanks G! I think as I came down in my body weight I also ended up losing a bit of muscle, but I am sure to pick it back up without the fat over the next few months.
    ~G~

dude... awesome squatting man.. that 100 rep challenge looks BRUTAL.. i may have to give that shot one of these days..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

100 rep squat challenge - yikes - sounds fun lol

Thanks for the suggestions on bench... I'm moved my grip into pinkies on the ring and this seems to allow me to tuck my elbows more, so I'm trying to work this way for now... I will add the additional tricep movement and add in the decline bench also as I've never done this movement before... pushups will get added also - I will tell you that these are tough for me because of my wrist problems, but hey I think you're right about the boost they'll give as I was doing pushups when I was benching at my best - thanks very much for the new perspective, truly appreciated!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    dude... awesome squatting man.. that 100 rep challenge looks BRUTAL.. i may have to give that shot one of these days..
    JSully: Yeah I have to say that walking around today without looking funny has been more difficult than usual... if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by huskybear View Post
    ... pushups will get added also - I will tell you that these are tough for me because of my wrist problems, but hey I think you're right about the boost they'll give as I was doing pushups when I was benching at my best - thanks very much for the new perspective, truly appreciated!
    Huskybear: No problem buddy and remember its just one persons opinion. I would say if your wrists start messing with you try one of those contraptions they sell that keeps your wrists neutral. Do you know the ones I am talking about, the name escapes me but they turn when you push on them? Anyway I got a pair for Christmas a couple years ago and they are fun to play with and they do feel easier on my joints but I am not real sure if that would help the wrists, but definitly something worth trying if it comes to that. Good luck and I will be watching for bigger numbers in your journal soon
    ~G~

2/19/2010

Up early again and at the gym. My legs are still fried!!!

Workout:

Warmup- not as formulamatic as normal but did some good stretching and DM

Chin-ups to Dips to Pulldowns than a break 5 times:
    Chin-ups 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 -tried something different and wanted to get 8 before I moved on even if I had to start and stop

Dips 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 -not a big fan of how narrow this is by comparison to one I have been using

T-bar Tricep Pulldowns 100*10, 120*10, 140*10, 160*10, 180*10 -felt easier to go heavy than rope does

Farmers Walk (100 db in each hand equals) 200*165ft, 200*240ft, 200*175ft -I wish they had two EZ curl bars so I could go heavier

Skull to Tate to Curls than a break 3 times:
    Skull Crushers EZ curl bar w/Palms Up 65*8, 65*10, 65*13

Tate Press 35s*8, 35s*8, 35s*10

Seated Alt DB Curls 35s*8, 35s*8, 35s*14 -forearms were burning at the end and grip going, felt nice

300 crunches, no squats, 100 pushups
    ~G~

2/20/2010

Went for a long walk today to try and get the blood moving in my legs and in my brain. It felt good and I didnt push it for a faster pace and just walked and thought.

I have a HG events practice tomorrow and I am ready to use some of the stuff you told me about JSully, thank you.

Cardio:

12 miles, I didnt keep exact time but it was about 4 hours.
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by Geometheus View Post
    Went for a long walk today...12 miles, I didnt keep exact time but it was about 4 hours.
    Wow dude, that's ridiculous, lol.

Coke: Yeah it was a bit far but it helped my legs feel way better for HG practice the next day. I dont have time now but I will post how that went soon.
    ~G~

2/21/2010

Third events training for the Highland Games this year and it was in prep for a game next weekend so it was a bit modified for a lighter load and more focus on form.

HG Events Practice:
    Braemar Stone (PR 27' 6") - 25' 6" / 23' 1" / 24' 10" - I dont understand why these keep going down, grrrr

Open Stone (PR 34' 7.5") - 28' 7" / 28' 6" / 29' 7" - went back to slide from spin and arc was off on release

Heavy Weight for Distance (PR 25' 11.5") - 24' 10" / 25' 3" / 26' - this felt great and kept up with 2 spin !!!

Light Weight for Distance (PR 46' 10") - 49' 10" / 47' 10" / 50' - felt good but should be faster with 2 spin

Heavy Hammer (PR 59' 7") - handle still broken

Light Hammer (PR 79' 2") - 75' 5" / 75' / 83' 10" / 76' 6" - my elipse is still bad and I am not messing with it any more for the games

Caber (PR NA) - drop, 50, 80, 60 - had a bad pick on the 1st one and sill no turns on this heavy "A" caber but closer

Sheaf (PR 18' 0") - 5 tosses with a couple close to "eye ball" 20' without towers

Weight for Height (PR 11'-0") - 12' / 10' / 10' / 11' 6" - "eye ball" we didnt set up towers
    ~G~

2/22/2010

Plan is to keep it light this week because of my HG this weekend up in Dallas. I will be working more on form and getting in a few good Cardio sessions. Got up early again this morning to "make the donuts" and move the weights in the gym. Gym partner was a bit late and didnt get to all the movements I wanted to hit, will have to run clean up tomorrow.

Workout:

Warmup- not as regimented as normal but did some good stretching and DM

Lat Pulldowns to Seated Rows than a break 4 times: -not sure why these are not easier after all the chin-ups I have been doing ?
    Lat Pulldowns 80*10, 120*10, 160*10, 220*6

Seated Rows w/U grip 100*10, 140*12, 180*10, 220*8

Front Military Press 95*10, 115*10, 145*9, 165*6 - glad I had a spot for these

Rear Delt to Side Delt than a break 3 times:
    Rear Delt 80*10, 90*10, 90*10 - used open hands again

Side Delt 70*10, 80*10, 90*10 - never do these so felt weird I prefer DB raises

EZ Bar Curl Passes 65*10, 65*10, 65*9, 65*6 - passed it back and forth and felt weak

300 crunches, 100 squats, 100 pushups

Cardio: - later on in the day

2 mile jog
    ~G~

Keep hanging tough with it all, including the Highland Games training.

looks like a good training session.. keep your hips in front of you on the weight for distance.. if your upper body gets ahead, you'll lose torque.. if you keep your feet ahead of you you can unwind the hips and really get some distance..

how did everything feel? what class are you: a-b-c? a buddy of mine had a mock meet on saturday but it got rained out before he could get to the caber or the hammer..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Coke: Thank you for the support in here

JSully: Thank you for the pointers. I think the point you make about the hips placement is important because on many of my throws I dont feel like I have my upper and lower body working together and am only getting partial power. A big thing I need to work on is getting my strength behind the movement when my center of gravity is moving and my feet are not in a constant position. It is much different from the gym movements I normally have done and I am still learning.

HG Events Practice: - INTRO / REVIEW

I am currently throwing in the B class but would like to move up into A this year. Around here everyone starts in the Novice class and than moves up into C and so on thu A as marks improve and they win more contests. We have a few Pros in the area and the 2004 World Champion and 2005 Master World Champion are also Texans so I see them around at some events.

Since the Highland Games are thousands of years old and attempt to stay connected many of the implements are homemade and the rest come from nature. All Cabers are different, some tall and light, while others are shorter and heavy. Stones tend to be roundish but can vary in weight by as much as 5lbs because like the Caber it is from nature and rocks and trees are all different. WD (Weight for Distance) and WFH (Weight for Height/ Overbar) grips and chain lengths are also different with some using no chain others a foot of chain, some using rings and others triangles or D-grips. Hammers tend to stay the same but wood versus PVC pipe and pushing the length up to 50 inches in some cases can make things different. The Sheaf is normally made by the AD or purchased from a vendor and they also can go anywhere from 15 to 30lbs. I would not change any of the variety and challanges for the world, but I want peole who dont know the Highland Games to understand that in practice you are not going to be 1-to-1 with what you will be using on events day. I strongly encourage anyone interested to post in here or PM me so I can hook you up with someone to train with in your area.
    ~G~

HG Events Practice: - REVIEW

Here is something I could not find earlier that I thought might be helpful for all to see. I got it from an AD (Athletic Director) for one of the festivals/games I was at last year. It is a good Highland Games Ranking "Standard" (as well as such can be given for all the variations that are used) for where a Heavy Athlete should be at for entrance into a game at a given Class. AD's have the final say on if someone is allowed into a games and in what Class, but if someone meets at least half the throws below for a Class they are likely to get into the flight.

I will also note that at a few of the festivals I have been at (and/or heard about) other events have been added or taken out of this list to include: foot races, 70-100# heavy stone throws, farmers walk, caber overhead press, caber races, Tug o' war, backhold or cumberland wrestling, etc based on regional traditions and creativity (read that also as evil spirit in some cases) of the AD or sponsors. The list below however is a good starting point and will get someone a head start on where they stack up.

A Class
    22# Braemar Stone 31'
    16# Open Stone 34'
    56# WD 28'
    28# WD 56'
    22# Hammer 75'
    16# Hammer 92'
    56# WH 12'
    16# Sheaf 22'

B Class
    22# Braemar Stone 25'
    16# Open Stone 28'
    56# WFD 21'
    28# WFD 45'
    22# Hammer 62'
    16# Hammer 80'
    56# WH 11'
    16# Sheaf 18'

Caber, as it is always so different, is not rated on this outline

ENJOY
    ~G~

2/24/2010

Real hard time getting out of bed this morning but still made it to the gym on time.

Workout: - 5am

Deadlifts to Shrugs to Bench to French Press a break 4 times:
    Deadlifts 225*10, 278*8, 325*6, 365*4 - grip failed not muscles - maybe I pick up straps?

Shrugs 135*15, 225*12, 275*8, 318*8

Speed Bench 135*15, 185*10, 225*8, 250*8 - good rattle of the weights at the top

French Press 70*10, 80*10, 90*8, 95*8

Explosive Pull Throughs 30*10 for 3 sets

Leg Press to Calf Raises to DB Rows than a break 3 times:
    Leg Press 3 plates per side*10, 5 plates per side*10, 7 plates per side*10 - not sure on sled weight
    - also worth mentioning that the sled had a curved plate where I placed my feet and I didnt care for that design

Calf Raises 110*20, 155*20, 180*15 - had a hard time racking the last set

DB Rows -Chainsaw more upright form- L/R 65*10, 80*10, 100*10 - never do these so felt easier than bench db rows

Cool Down - fast walk and stretching

no crunches, no squats, no pushups
    ~G~

Major props on that effort bro.

pretty impressive numbers again G!!!!

totally interested watching your HG stuff... we have games up here that I managed to watch last year and found it very cool, so you're work has totally peaked my interest...

Love checking out this log of yours, always something to take away... good good stuff bro!

I'm wondering if your grip is just suffering from a little overtraining? from all the super setting and quick change over to different movements, your forearms are getting constant work and maybe just need a break to catch up... just thinking out loud here...

Check this link... http://www.dieselcrew.com/forums/sho...highlight=grip

has some good grip training ideas that might help get the grip blowing up... work this type of routing in, then use some straps for your heavier work sets? again just food for thought...
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Coke: Thank you. I have to say I have been reading a ton of journals in here, and I think to do movements one to the next in a fast chain, like I have started to copy from others, is a great way to train. I enjoy it because it is different from what I have done before and it is keeping old movements fresh. I also sweat a tone doing it that way and even though the weights are lower I still feel a good pump afterwards with less time standing around.

Huskybear: I am glad you are getting more interested in Highland Games because of my journal !!! Also thank you for the link on grip work I will check it out later today. I had not thought that over training my grip could be an issue but I will look into it and think about it some more maybe you are on to something.

QUESTION? Any one else in here think that is right?
    ~G~

2/24/2010 - late yesterday

Cardio:

2 mile jog

100 crunches, 100 lunges, 100 pushups
    ~G~

2/25/2010

Out late last night and didnt end up sleeping well. Hit snooze botton gut motivational call from gym partner and still made it for a quick session.

Workout: - 5:15am

1/2 mile warmup fast walk
    .62 mile treadmill 3.7mph, 3 degree angle, 10 min - hip flexors were real tight but this helped

Chin-ups to Dips to Pushdowns than a break 5 times:
    Chin-up Work 8 for 5 sets - for some reason this felt easier today than it has in a LONG time

Dips 10 for 5 sets

Tricep Pushdowns -put back on pad vs my normal orientation facing the weights, also used the Y bar - remembering quickly why I hate that lil' thing cutting into my baby hands 70*10, 80*10, 90*8, 100*8, 70*16 -burn it out

Skulls to Press to Curls than a break 3 times (kind of):
    -in the interest of time I stared with skulls than straight to speed closegrip press than my partner/spot took bar did curls, I took bar back did curls, than passed back to him for skulls, etc in that order- very intense and fun
    Skull Crushers 75*10 for 3 sets -def could go heavier but buddy has bad elbow

EZ bar closegrip press 75*10 for 3 sets -def could go heavier

EZ bar Curls 75*10 for 3 sets, 75*8, 75*6, 75*8 - because of the passing back and forth this one is 6 sets

1/2 mile fast walk to jog

no crunches, no lunges/squats , no pushups

- plan is to make time for another Cardio session sometime tonight or first thing tommorow before I leave for the Games this weekend.
    Last edited by Geometheus; 02-25-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
    ~G~

Off to the games up in Dallas !!!!!! Wish me luck
    ~G~