Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

This is the very first post for my Journal. A little bit about me: I grew up loving sports and began playing soccer at age 16. My first and only ever field position was goalkeeper, primarily because no one else volunteered to play that position. That appealed to me instantly. The fact that no one else wanted to play there made it appear like a frightening task and it became an immediate challenge for me. No one else wanted to do it so I thought I would show them how it was done! I loved it. I also used to compete in a local swimming competition until around age 14. Each year at school, I won the Swimming Age Champion trophy. My broad shoulders and back made this an ideal sport at the time, but short, explosive distances were my passion, or at least what I was best at.

I remember hitting the gym casually around about age 16 to lift some weights for fun and increase my fitness. These were my first experiences in the male dominated gym world, but I enjoyed it even though it was at times very intimidating. Studying the science of Human Movement was eventually what I decided I would love to do upon leaving school and off I went to University to complete an Exercise Science degree. 2 days after graduating, I ruptured discs in my lower back and after years of ongoing severe back pain, I needed an operation in 2002 to replace those ruptured discs with artificial ones. 3 ruptured discs were later discovered in my neck after chronic episodes of neck pain and one of those discs was also replaced with a titanium insert in 2004. Throw in a sudden ruptured brain aneurysm needing an emergency craniotomy in 2002 and then 2 children in the ensuing years and exercise and any job prospects took a back seat!

Anyway, here I am now, 6 months into my gym membership. I have lost 12kg (26lb), gained muscle and strength and am looking to continue my weight training. Am currently 73.6kg (162lb). I am slightly limited in which exercises I choose to do to avoid exacerbating my existing back and neck conditions.

Where do I want to be further down the track? I'm really not sure yet. I want to become more muscular, that's for sure. I like the look and feeling of being muscular. How big? Not grossly huge but athletically muscular and leaner. I would like to have visible abs for the first time in my life! And when I get them, you'll all be the first to see them! I still want to look feminine and not manly. I'm doing this naturally. I have already had some ignorant friends and others assume because I have made great gains in strength and muscle that I must be taking something. It's not possible for a girl to get big muscles they say. I don't judge those who do use steroids or other growth promoting substances, it's all a personal choice, but it's not something I am interested in at all.

Some people have massive misconceptions about girls and weights. I have already had one lady in the gym tell me “You need to stop!”. That's not going to make me stop. That just gives me more drive! Silly woman. A lot of people who do not exercise do not understand why girls would ever enjoy lifting weights. Most of them are in terrible shape, maybe it's just a jealousy thing? That's why I love the gym so much. The boys on the gym floor understand and can appreciate the hard work and dedication. Girls lifting decent weights also understand, but some of those that steer only towards cardio equipment, stare and appear to make superficial judgements. It's written all over their faces, sadly.

Anyhow, I plan on posting my workouts here, diet stuff, results, thoughts and questions and maybe photos too. I am already feeling more motivated by joining this forum. I'm going to see what is possible with my body and test my limits. So far, it's been immensely satisfying for mind and body. I have added some albums already to my profile. I will continue to add more as time progresses to show results. Thanks everyone in advance for reading my journal and for any future contributions and advice.

GG
    Last edited by GoodyGirl; 02-28-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

Good to have you here. Good luck with your goals.

And now a welcome to Journal land Geeze, I already like you from all of your thoughts on girls training + you have a degree in exercise science. Looking forward to tagging along! (PS. The guys here love things in lbs, lazy sods make me do the calculations for them!)

Thanks Guys! I'm looking forward to all of this too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    (PS. The guys here love things in lbs, lazy sods make me do the calculations for them!)
    Hahaha, yeah, I thought they might. I have already done conversions for them. Blah. I hope they appreciate it! Clap for GoodyGirl please
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Here's how I'm going to work things for people who use Kilograms (like me) and those who use Pounds. Kilo's will be listed first and pounds in brackets. If I get lazy and forget the pounds, you'll have to do your own calculations! Without a calculator!!

TRAINING: LEGS
    30th Oct 09
    VOLUME, VOLUME & MORE VOLUME
    BURN BABY, BURN!

All gym squats in smith.... no power rack/squat rack in my gym
    I realise the weights I mention will thus be inflated compared to free weight squats
    SQUATS
    5 sets
    40kg (88lb) x 10 reps
    60kg (132lb) x10 reps
    80kg (176lb) x 10 reps
    90kg (198lb) x 10 reps
    100kg (220lb) x 10 reps
    EDIT 01/03/2010: Looking back, these numbers are wayyyy inflated. I now realise I was doing pathetic squats which were not deep enough, hence the larger weight. No way I can do that weight going deeper.

SEATED CALVE RAISE
    5 sets
    25kg (55) x10 reps
    30kg (66) x10 reps
    35kg (77) x10 reps
    40kg (88) x10 reps
    40kg (88) x10 reps

LEG EXTENSIONS
    5 sets
    35kg (77) x10 reps
    40kg (88) x10 reps
    45kg (99) x10 reps
    50kg (110) x10 reps
    55kg (121) x10 reps and hold at end

STANDING CALVE RAISE
    5 sets
    40kg (88) x10 reps
    50kg (110) x10 reps
    60kg (132) x10 reps
    70kg (154) x10 reps
    70kg (154) x10 reps

HAMSTRING CURLS
    5 sets
    32.5lb x12 reps
    50lb x10 reps
    55lb x10 reps
    62.5lb x10 reps
    62.5lb x10 reps

STEP-UPS ONTO BOX (est. 17 inch box height)
    with Dumbells
    5 sets
    20lb DB's x 20 reps (10 reps each leg)
    30lb DB's x 20
    40lb DB's x 20
    45lb DB's x 20 (puffing, panting and cursing under my breath!)
    40lb DB's x 20

One last exercise just to hammer myself & for something different
    BOX JUMPS (est. 17 inch box height)
    with Dumbells
    5 sets
    Bodyweight (BW) x 15 reps
    10lb DB's x 15 reps
    15lb DB's x15reps
    20lb DB's x 15 reps
    20lb DB's x 20 reps

Note to self: Measure box next time and see how good (Or bad) my estimate was.

OUTCOME= OUCH!!!
    Last edited by GoodyGirl; 02-28-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

TRAINING: CHEST/TRI's
    SAT 31st OCTOBER 2009

All benching in smith.... no proper racks in my gym
    BENCH PRESS
    5 sets
    20kg (88lb) x 10 reps
    30kg (132lb) x10 reps
    40kg (176lb) x 10 reps
    45kg (198lb) x 8 reps
    50kg (110lb) x 5 reps
    (fatigue at 4th rep, racked bar, waited 10sec, then finished 5th rep)
    Thrilled! I've been waiting to hit 50kg (110lb) for a while. Today was one of those days. Everything went just right! Yay, I hit 110lb!!

INCLINE DUMBELL BENCH PRESS
    5 sets
    20lb DB's x10 reps
    30lb DB's x10 reps
    35lb DB's x10 reps
    40lb DB's x6 reps (someone walked past and said "Don't drop it" as I was about to go for 7th rep. Broke all concentration. Why do people do that?! ARGH, I hate that! )
    35lb DB's x10 reps (this set felt great, even easier than other sets with 35lb DB's!)

CABLE CROSSOVERS
    5 sets
    25lb x10 reps
    30lb x10 reps
    35lb x10 reps
    35lb x10 reps
    35lb x10 reps

TRICEP PUSHDOWNS
    5 sets
    30lb x10 reps
    32.5lb x 10 reps (horribly difficult but completed..... just)
    30lb x10 reps
    30lb x10 reps
    30lb x8 reps, then had to drop weight to 22.5lb for last 2 reps

CLOSE GRIP PUSH-UPS to isolate tricep
    (Hands on bench with fingers pointed inwards and facing. No knees on ground, no girly push-ups here!)
    5 sets x 10 reps

TRICEP KICK-BACKS

5 sets of 10 reps with 10lb Dumbell

DIPS
    to test myself.
    First attempt: 3
    Second attempt: 4
    Want to work on dips for sure! Next time I do triceps I will attempt dips first before I am fatigued. They were nasty!

EXTRA EXERCISE
    Abdominal Plank Holds

(Feet on bench, elbows on a lower aerobic step-up block)
    Held, also alternated 1 leg at a time in air and holding for 5 seconds.
    Also alternated knees marching.
    2 sets x 1 minute each.

My legs are completely SMASHED from yesterday's workout. I think adding the box jumps as extra torture was responsible. My traps are also extremely sore even though it's been almost a week since I worked them. Maybe it was from the Step-ups and holding the dumbells. I probably inadvertently shrugged them at the same time. May be from that and the weighted box jumps too? Oh, and my chest is gonna be extra sore tomorrow. I can feel the pain already! Lucky tomorrow is a rest day!
    Last edited by GoodyGirl; 12-27-2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

I think we may have someone here who does more volume than me!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    Clap for GoodyGirl please
    Welcome, great to see more girls in here..
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

(someone walked past and said "Don't drop it" as I was about to go for 7th rep. Broke all concentration. Why do people do that?! ARGH, I hate that! )

That has never happened to me and I hope it doesn't! I prob would throw the dumbell at them! Not joking.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Volume reigns supreme! Oh yeah! Oh the pain, the pain!

Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    Welcome, great to see more girls in here..
    Thanks. All we need now is another million girls to get off their backsides and start training.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    That has never happened to me and I hope it doesn't! I prob would throw the dumbell at them! Not joking.
    It's the second time now it's happened to me. Other time doing Seated Dumbell Shoulder Presses, someone spoke to me late in a difficult set and then it was all over. Very frustrating. They deserve a good kick up the backside! I never speak to anyone if they are performing their set.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Banned
    Wow. That's an interesting back story. What caused the various injuries if you don't mind me asking? The brain aneurysm sounds really really scary.

Congrats for pushing on anyway - you're like the bionic woman now with plastic and titanium holding you together!

Its good to hear your point of view on women lifting weights. There were a few girls who lifted proper free weights (squats, deads, bench, oly) in my last gym and they had total respect from all the other guys in there. I understand it must have been very intimidating. Girls often have to work harder on technique because of the obvious strength limitations on females, and I think there is something more impressive about watching a lean, mean, non-bulky girl do perfect full squats with a reasonable weight than seeing a massive dude repping out a massive weight with terrible form.

If you're interested in getting abs you should search for a member called "Built." She used to be a very active poster here a few years ago and even did a Q+A column for the main site for a while but then disappeared. I think she fell out with somebody or something. She went from over-weight to ridiculously lean through careful dieting and weight-lifting. She has a blog here http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/ You should check it out along with her old posts for some inspiration.

Excellent sessions! I feel my lactic acid building up just reading them :O

Where abouts in Aus are you?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Haha, that's what I was gonna say!

Great work in here!! Great attitude and great work ethic!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Wow. That's an interesting back story. What caused the various injuries if you don't mind me asking? The brain aneurysm sounds really really scary.
    To cut a long story short, years of repetitive bending, twisting, lifting and reaching under load in a retail setting gradually weakened the discs until they eventually ruptured. Back pain began 3 years before the discs ruptured. As for the aneurysm rupture, yes, very frightening. I will never forget the feeling of wanting to die to escape the pain and that's no exaggeration. It was horrendous. 50% of people that suffer one die immediately, of the 50% left, another 25% die on operating table, then the last 25% may or may not have ongoing loss of brain function. I was the lucky one! I will also search for "Built", thanks for the tip.

Excellent sessions! I feel my lactic acid building up just reading them :O

Where abouts in Aus are you?
    After those sessions, this is the most amount of DOMS I've had in a long time! I'm in N.S.W. ----> State of the Mighty Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Great work in here!! Great attitude and great work ethic!
    Thanks very much. I'm already highly impressed with all the encouragement.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Yesterday was the first day I have actually taken the time to calculate calories and the breakdown of protein, carbs and fat. Purely out of curiosity really. I'm not yet really obsessive about intake. I am certainly being very disciplined with my food intake though and whilst I am still seeing improvements, I will probably not calculate it regularly at this stage. It's too time consuming as well with a young family. I generally eat the same foods day to day, so it's likely it will be about the same on a daily basis anyway, give or take a protein shake or protein bar etc.

Yesterday I consumed 1660 calories (on chest/tri's day)
    210.0 Proteinn (about 1.3g/lb BW) is this too much???
    130.0 Carbs
    25.7 Fat

Today was a rest day. I went on a picnic and resisted all temptation again. Going out with family and friends changed nothing about the way I ate, so I was proud of myself for not hooking in to M&M's, crisps and other treats. Kicked a soccer ball around on the beach and ran a little in the sand. I felt happy being in the sun and on the beach. I must do it again! Hell, I'm close enough. I should take advantage of it more often.

Had some photos taken today for reference for the start of my journal. I will try and figure out how to add them. I'm a little uneasy about showing full body shots but I know by doing so, it will give me more motivation to improve it and show everyone I CAN DO IT!! I will get stronger, more muscular and leaner! And show that bimbo in the gym that told me I needed to stop weight training, that I will have abs one day! (She laughed at me when I told her that's what I wanted)
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

The difference between 2 months of weight training (left) vs 6 months (right)
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Here you go folks, fancy some titanium in your spine? This is what I live with every day.

Above: Lumbars

Above: Cervical Spine
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    Some people have massive misconceptions about girls and weights.
    After a phone call with my brother tonight, include him too
    Anyway, I need some sleep, it's been a big day and I'm up early in the morning to get to the gym when it opens. HIIT tomorrow morning for 30-35mins, weights tomorrow night.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Looking great Alli! Your quad seperation is crazy, nothing to be ashamed of in here.

Call me Mark
    Def subbing to this journal, keep up the great work goodygirl I'll be watching
    Last edited by mweav6387; 11-01-2009 at 03:26 PM.
    Started: 6'1 300lbs
    Current: 6'1 220lbs(met and exceded!)
    Goal: 225lbs(June '10)
    My journal:http://tinyurl.com/weightjournal
    --UPDATE-- MET MY GOAL!!
    Actually met and exceeded my goal! As of May '10 I am 220lbs.

Your lifts are outstanding. Keep up the good work, I'll be checking in!
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

START OF RANT
    I'm weight training! Whoop-dee-doo! So what? What's wrong with it? Nothing! I'm not doing anything illegal, immoral or fattening! Why is it some people have such huge misconceptions about women wanting to lift weights? And why do people feel like it's ok to have a dig at you when you work hard to make good gains? I fail to understand it. Why do I feel like I always have to justify myself? Men lifting weights don't feel like this! Do they? They generally only get positive feedback, women on the other hand have to deal with idiots who are not well educated or have silly ideas about women and weights and muscle growth. Weight training is not changing who I am. Why can't some people see that? I am enjoying it immensely! Some people (not ones on the forum, ones in real life) need to back off.
    END OF RANT

Quote Originally Posted by mweav6387 View Post
    Def subbing to this journal, keep up the great work goodygirl I'll be watching
    Thanks Mark, I've began keeping a close eye on your journal too

Looking great Alli! Your quad seperation is crazy, nothing to be ashamed of in here.
    Thanks Cliff! I'm very happy with the results showing in my quads so far. I have also built up my hammy's a fair bit, this was a MUST given my dodgy back, to build some more muscle and strengthen the hammy's will help my back in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Painzer View Post
    Your lifts are outstanding. Keep up the good work, I'll be checking in!
    Thanks to you too Painzer. I just checked out your deadlift and squat video's. WOW! I'm impressed! Nice work Is that gym set-up at your home?
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

At times we also have to deal with misconceptions about why we lift. A lot of people do not understand why someone, male or female, would invest so much effort into lifting. I've heard more than one snide comment hurled my way before. One of my favorites was someone telling me I would die before I'm 40 from steroid abuse. Funny thing is I've never used steroids and I'm already over 40. Ignorance is a common condition these days. Don't fret the small stuff - keep focused on your own goals and let people believe what they will. They tend to do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Ignorance is a common condition these days. Don't fret the small stuff - keep focused on your own goals and let people believe what they will. They tend to do that anyway.
    Ignorance is very common, you're right. And I'll try to not worry so much, but after you keep hearing it over and over, at some stage (like now) one more person insulting you sends you over the edge! ........ and causes you to rant!

Thanks for taking the time to write
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

My new scales arrived today! Hubby collected them at the front door. He then asked "How much did these set you back?" and I said "Ummmmm, well ......." <silence> hahaha. They were not cheap but his cricket fees cost more! lol Would he complain if I spent that much money on lingerie? Ha! Nah, he didn't really complain, he will get just as much use out of those scales as me. I know I don't really need scales to reinforce how I'm going. I can see changes in the mirror and with my clothes but I like to see numbers and like to chart progress, so the scales will be a great addition. Anyway, these are what the lovely new scales told me today about my current physical condition.

Weight 73.1kg (160.8lb)
    BF 15.8% (classed me as underfat, healthy range 22% up to about 32% i think for women)
    Water 57.3%
    Muscle Mass 59.3kg (130.46lb)
    Physical Condition 9 (Very Muscular- athlete)
    BMR 1799kcal (428cal)
    kJ 7526 (1791.9 cal) guessing this means the amount of calories I need a day?
    Metabolic Age 12 (ranges from 12 up, what does this mean having such a low met age? that i have a fast metabolism?)
    Bone Mass 3.1kg (6.82lb) average is 2.4kg so I have strong bones
    Viseral Fat 1 (The best result! it ranges from 1-59)
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!