Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Wannabebig Member
    Ahh thanks i get it now. Also why do you recommend SLDL (Strait Leg DL) over a regular deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    Tom,

I will be replacing squats/deadlifts with forward drag pulls using a car and harness along with pushing pushing a car for a period of 3 months. I am aiming for lowerbody strength and conditioning/endurance. What's the best way to warm up as far as stretching goes? Secondly, for starters should I track my progress by time, distance, or speed?
    Jtteg -

Is there any particular reason why you are completely cutting out free weight training? Will you not have access to a gym during that period?

With regard to a warmup I would recommend a mix of light cardiovascular work and some dynamic stretching. It may also be in your best interest to pick up some support equipment like compression shorts, neoprene knee sleeves, and a back brace to keep your muscles/joints warm.

Here is an example of what I would do for a warmup:
    - Light Jogging or Jump Rope, 2-5 Minutes
    - Static Stretching, 2-3 Minutes
    - Basic Movement Drills or Dynamic Stretching, 2 Minutes
    - Low Intensity Specific Warmup (Pushing Car, but not going all out), 1-3 sets

Car pushing and pulling is going to be very stressful on your calves, so you want to make sure that you are getting them warmed up properly. Having the right footwear is also important since traction will be a big factor with pulling/pushing. Rock Climbing shoes are hands-down the best option, but trail running, cross trainer, and other shoes will work.

In terms of tracking your progress I would alternate between weeks. One week can be a 'Power' week where you do shorter distances (50-75 ft.) for time/speed. The other week can be 'endurance' where you can do sets of 45-60 seconds for distance, or long range sets (100-250+ ft.) for time. Another thing that you can do is put the e-brake on slightly, or do some work on a slight incline for your power week (can go with shorter distances if it is very high intensity). Generally car pulling is only hard for the start and then the car starts rolling and has momemtum if you are on flat ground.

Hope this helps!
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by DavyRen View Post
    Hi Tom, apologies for jumping on lolbear post but i'm after something similar (comprehensive routine). I have bench, weights, squat stands and a weider power stack multigym.

I'm currently doing Bill Starr 5 x 5 and have been for 6 months or so and prefer compound movements but also like some volume as I think I personally respond better.

I'd like to combine a 5x5 and wbb1, what do you think of this?

Monday sets x reps
    Squat 3 x 8
    Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 x 8
    Incline Barbell Bench Press 2 x 8
    Flys 3 x 8
    Barbell Single Arm Row 3 x 8
    Cable Row 2 x 8
    Situps 2 x 25 Abs

Wednesday sets x reps
    Squat 3 x 8
    Military Press 3 x 8
    Lateral Raises 3 x 8
    Deadlift 3 x 8
    Barbell Shrugs 2 x 8
    Lat Pull Down 3 x 8
    Situps 2 x 25 Abs

Saturday sets x reps
    Military Press 3 x 8
    Pullovers 2 x 8
    Tricep Curl 3 x 8
    EZ bar curl 2 x 8 Hammer Curl 1 x 8
    Situps 2 x 25

DavyRen -

My initial thoughts on that program is that it may be a bit too much pressing, and you may run into some problems with your shoulders. I also noticed that you are squatting in consecutive workouts, so I would maybe keep the deadlifting on Wednesday and move the Squats to Friday (swap some 'Back' movements to Wednesday in place of them).

Here is what I would do...

Monday: (Heavy Squats, Light Bench Press, Chest)
    Squat 3 x 8
    Flys 3 x 8
    Abs 2 x 25

Wednesday: (Deadlift, Back, Biceps)
    Deadlift 3 x 8
    Barbell Shrugs 2 x 8
    Lat Pull Down / Chins 3 x 8
    Cable Row 2 x 8
    Hammer Curl 1 x 8
    Abs 2 x 25

Saturday: (Heavy Bench, Light Squats, Shoulders, Triceps)
    Squats 3 x 8
    Pullovers 2 x 8
    Military Press 3 x 8
    Lateral Raises 3 x 8
    Tricep Curl 3 x 8
    EZ bar curl 2 x 8
    Abs 2 x 25

I basically split up the workouts and grouped things a little differently so that you could work out with high intensity and not have to worry about overtraining.

What do you think of this program? Did you want to work 'Back' twice per week?

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Working hard to get big
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Eric,

Thank you for reaching out. There is some information that I would like to know before I go ahead and put something together for you:

- What exercises are you trying to focus on?
    - Is your primary goal strength, hypertrophy, or both?
    - What equipment do you have access to? And do you have any limitations due to injury, etc.?
    - Are you interested in performing any additional cardio outside of Ice Hockey?

Please reply to let me know and I will draft something up for you right away.
    Hey Tom -

Thanks for the reply.

- I'm a big believer in the compound lifts so I definitely like to focus on those. Though I really enjoyed the combination of iso exercises included in the deadlift day of the 3 day split you posted on the other site. I would like regular work on explosive lifts too (once per week maybe)

- My primary goal is to get big and strong so both. I understand that strength needs to built up before any real size gains come.

- I workout at home and have 500 lbs of oly weights, a tall bench that I squat out of, several dumbbells (up to 75 lbs each), EZ Bars, a dip chair, a pull up bar, and a heavy bag.

- I am interested in cardio outside of hockey. I'm considering purchasing a prowler, I like to run hills or stairs. I'm a little hampered right now due to a slow healing ankle that I broke in July but still do it regularly. I also like to distance run for LISS cardio. I also really like that plyo routine that is in p90x. I don't do p90x but the plyo routine is a good workout.

Other useful info: I think my body type is ecto because I'm fairly lean but I spent a handful of years in my early 20s like 60lbs over weight so maybe I'm a little endo as well? I eat fairly clean and on regular frequency (oats, milk, eggs, sweet potatoes, whole wheat breads, natty salt free pb, lean meats (chicken, beef, turkey). I use some basic supplements (creatine, multi-v, fish oil, various proteins (slow and fast)).

Thanks again Tom. I really appreciate the advice.

Eric

thanks tom i tried grouping it as best as i could but your review and change makes absolute sense especially moving squats as i also play football on thursday. Im really happy with the program and with working my back as you have said it really is appreciated. Do u think i need more back in my program?
    Last edited by DavyRen; 12-09-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

This is why some people who are 'cutting' make the mistake of only counting calories and end up losing lean mass along with bodyfat. Along the same lines, some individuals who are 'bulking' only look at calories and end up gaining a lot of excess bodyfat.
    So you're saying that the macronutrients are just as important as calories, right? Couldn't lowering calories still be used as an important tool in losing body fat, providing that you are eating quality food?
    Last edited by snikez; 12-09-2009 at 05:27 PM.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Set the mood right
    Hey Tom

What would increase my DLs more, straps or chalk? I'm only looking for a weight increase.

Also, can you tell me how to use straps? lol, I got some from an order online from bb.com and I can't figure out how to use them if I was going to deadlift under and over. Thanks bro.
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

Quote Originally Posted by lolbear View Post
    Ahh thanks i get it now. Also why do you recommend SLDL (Strait Leg DL) over a regular deadlift?
    The reason for including SLDL's is that focusing on squatting will give you better carryover to your vertical jump and provide you with more general leg strength. You should focus your energy on squatting and then SLDL's will provide additional hamstring work and lunges will provide additional quad/glute/hip work.

Since this program already includes a good amount of upper and mid-back work I left out deadlifts since many people have poor technique and performing deadlifts & squats on the same day could lead to recovery problems.

Deadlifts are beneficial, but for your program I think that the SLDL's provided a better solution.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by ericpad View Post
    - I'm a big believer in the compound lifts so I definitely like to focus on those. Though I really enjoyed the combination of iso exercises included in the deadlift day of the 3 day split you posted on the other site. I would like regular work on explosive lifts too (once per week maybe)
    I have most of your program written up but wanted to clarify one point before finalizing things.

When you say 'explosive lifts' are you referring to olympic lifting? (cleans/snatch/pulls)

Please let me know and I will post up the program later today.

Wannabebig Member
    I see. I might have to change a little around on Wednesday's because i tried to squat and the bench is way too narrow. So then i tried hanging it half off the bar and the other half onto my bed boosted with books, but the bench would tip over. Pretty much looked liked this.
    img691.imageshack.us/img691/9546/lolbench.jpg
    Also uploaded a video of my bench form
    youtube.com/watch?v=FtvjF2DtvTQ
    Last edited by lolbear; 12-10-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Working hard to get big
    I have most of your program written up but wanted to clarify one point before finalizing things.

When you say 'explosive lifts' are you referring to olympic lifting? (cleans/snatch/pulls)

Please let me know and I will post up the program later today.
    Hi Tom -

Yes, those are exactly the types of lifts I'm referring to. (power cleans, hang cleans, high pulls, one arm db snatch).

Thanks again!

Eric
    Last edited by ericpad; 12-10-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavyRen View Post
    thanks tom i tried grouping it as best as i could but your review and change makes absolute sense especially moving squats as i also play football on thursday. Im really happy with the program and with working my back as you have said it really is appreciated. Do u think i need more back in my program?
    One day of back training is sufficient since you have a comprehensive workout for that muscle group, but if you wanted to do some additional work you could throw in a few sets of rows or chins on Sunday. There was an article posted here recently that had a good program if you are looking for ideas for that workout: "Leave Lat Pull-Down Land and Build A Bigger Back!".

Hope this helps, let me know if there is anything else that you might want to tweak with your diet / training / supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by lolbear View Post
    I see. I might have to change a little around on Wednesday's because i tried to squat and the bench is way too narrow. So then i tried hanging it half off the bar and the other half onto my bed boosted with books, but the bench would tip over. Pretty much looked liked this.
    img691.imageshack.us/img691/9546/lolbench.jpg
    Also uploaded a video of my bench form
    youtube.com/watch?v=FtvjF2DtvTQ
    The bench/bed idea sounds a bit dangerous.

I am not sure how much space you have where you are training (or if you have space in your garage) but you can always stack wooden pallets to make a squat rack. You basically make two stacks of pallets about 3 feet apart and then rack the bar on the pallets and pick it up then step back to perform your squats.

Another option might be to train at your school if they have a weight room.

Quote Originally Posted by snikez View Post
    So you're saying that the macronutrients are just as important as calories, right? Couldn't lowering calories still be used as an important tool in losing body fat, providing that you are eating quality food?
    Calories still need to be a consideration, but I would consider calorie source to be more important.

If you are trying to build muscle then obviously being in a calorie surplus is going to be helpful, just as if you are trying to lose fat then being in a calorie deficit is helpful. For those who are looking for a combination of the two (recomposition) then I recommend staying at maintenance calorie level and improving the quality of what they are eating; this ensures that you hold onto as much muscle mass as possible but will still allow you to reduce bodyfat with the right training program.

Simply lowering calories would be used as a tool for weight loss, but to ensure that the weight that is lost is mostly bodyfat then you would want to pay attention to your food choices / macronutrient ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by starfox View Post
    Hey Tom

What would increase my DLs more, straps or chalk? I'm only looking for a weight increase.

Also, can you tell me how to use straps? lol, I got some from an order online from bb.com and I can't figure out how to use them if I was going to deadlift under and over. Thanks bro.
    Starfox,

If you are going to use a mixed grip then I would train with chalk. If you are looking to handle the highest amount of weight possible in the safest possible manner then I would say to go double-overhand with straps.

I do not have access to Youtube from my work computer but I will find a video and post it here later today; I know that there are a few of them online that demonstrate how to properly use wrist straps.

Are you training for powerlifting or bodybuilding/athletics? If you are training for sports performance and general size/strength I would use the straps for your heaviest sets and not worry about mixed grip since it puts a lot of strain on your biceps. For powerlifting it would be beneficial to use mixed grip since straps are not allowed in competition.

Hey Tom I've been working out seriously for almost a year now and would like to know if you knew a reason for my right arm feeling more sore after a workout than my left. My right arm is also bigger than my left slightly noticable. I'm currently on a bulk and eating about 3.5k cals a day just started the bulk. I currently just started starting strength Thanks in advance
    Last edited by pigout789; 12-13-2009 at 01:07 AM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Bench Press question for you Tom.

I'm stuck at 275x1 and 280x1. I can not hit a double of 275. I'm currently on West side for skinny bastards v3. I have no problem with locking out weight and I have a good floor press. I'm slow off the chest, however. I'm still progressing with DB bench but I've been stuck for 3 weeks with the barbell. Any tips for an ME upper body exercise or accessory work?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

One day of back training is sufficient since you have a comprehensive workout for that muscle group, but if you wanted to do some additional work you could throw in a few sets of rows or chins on Sunday. There was an article posted here recently that had a good program if you are looking for ideas for that workout: "Leave Lat Pull-Down Land and Build A Bigger Back!". Hope this helps, let me know if there is anything else that you might want to tweak with your diet / training / supplements.
    thanks again tom
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

Set the mood right
    Starfox,

If you are going to use a mixed grip then I would train with chalk. If you are looking to handle the highest amount of weight possible in the safest possible manner then I would say to go double-overhand with straps.

I do not have access to Youtube from my work computer but I will find a video and post it here later today; I know that there are a few of them online that demonstrate how to properly use wrist straps.

Are you training for powerlifting or bodybuilding/athletics? If you are training for sports performance and general size/strength I would use the straps for your heaviest sets and not worry about mixed grip since it puts a lot of strain on your biceps. For powerlifting it would be beneficial to use mixed grip since straps are not allowed in competition.
    I actually found a youtube vid on this made by Chris himself which was very useful. I train for athletics, so I will go with the overhand strap route. I heard about the bicep strain but I thought it wasn't a big deal unless your form was off? And ps, thanks tom.
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

- My primary goal is to get big and strong so both. I understand that strength needs to built up before any real size gains come.
    - I workout at home and have 500 lbs of oly weights, a tall bench that I squat out of, several dumbbells (up to 75 lbs each), EZ Bars, a dip chair, a pull up bar, and a heavy bag.
    - I am interested in cardio outside of hockey. I'm considering purchasing a prowler, I like to run hills or stairs. I'm a little hampered right now due to a slow healing ankle that I broke in July but still do it regularly. I also like to distance run for LISS cardio. I also really like that plyo routine that is in p90x. I don't do p90x but the plyo routine is a good workout.
    **Other useful info: I think my body type is ecto because I'm fairly lean but I spent a handful of years in my early 20s like 60lbs over weight so maybe I'm a little endo as well? I eat fairly clean and on regular frequency (oats, milk, eggs, sweet potatoes, whole wheat breads, natty salt free pb, lean meats (chicken, beef, turkey). I use some basic supplements (creatine, multi-v, fish oil, various proteins (slow and fast)).

Thanks again Tom. I really appreciate the advice. - Eric

Eric,

I think that a four day training program would match up well with your goals since it looks like you are interested in a balance of strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning. We can accomplish this by incorporating some of the principals from programs that you have used in the past (5x5, 5/3/1) along with some additional volume, bodybuilding protocols, and GPP work.

Eric's Hybrid 4-Day Program:

Monday: Pulling
    - Chins (Weller Principal / BW x 25 singles, 10-15 seconds rest between sets)
    - Power Clean (or) Hang Clean / 3 sets of 3
    - BB Row Underhand-Overhand [Superset] / 2 sets of 5 & 5
    - Medium Grip High Pulls / 2 sets of 10-15 (with straps)
    - One-Arm DB Row / 2 Sets of 10-15 per arm.
    - Power Snatch / 5 sets of 1
    - Conditioning: Power Cleans / 95 lbs x max reps in 2 minutes (stop at 50)

Tuesday: Pressing
    - Incline Bench Press / 5-3-1 Protocol
    - Flat DB Press / 3 Sets of 8-10 reps
    - Dips / 3 Sets total (2 sets of 3-5 reps, BW x max reps)
    - Decline DB Flyes / 3 Sets of 10-12 reps
    - Conditioning: Pushups (or) Plyo Pushups / 2 sets of max reps in 30-45 seconds

Thursday: Lower Body
    - Squats / 5-3-1 Protocol
    - Rack Pulls (or) Deadlift / 2 sets of 5
    - Standing Lunges / 2 sets of 5 reps (per leg)
    - Front Squat & SLDL [Superset] / 2 sets of 10 reps each
    - Conditioning: Box Jumps (Stairs, Bench, Etc.) / 3 sets of 5-20 reps

Friday: Arms / Shoulders
    - Seated Military Press / 3 sets of 3-8 reps
    - Alternating DB Curls / 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    - Close Grip Bench Press / 2 sets of 5-8 reps
    - Side Raise [Drop Set] / 3 sets of 5, 10 [drop]
    - Hammer Curl & Preacher Curl [Superset] / 3 sets of 10 each
    - DB Overhead Extension / Skull Crusher [Superset] / 3 sets of 10 each
    - Face Pulls / 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    - Conditioning: Tire Sled / 5 sets of 50 ft. sprints or one marathon set (around the block)
    [or] Jump Rope Interval Training / 25 double underís, rest 1 minute, repeat x 5

I would recommend a tire sled over a prowler. The prowler is good but they are expensive and personally I prefer the sled. You can make a tire sled with limited materials for less than $20 and it is a great tool for building conditioning and leg power. There is information about the tire sled earlier in this thread I believe.

As you will see from the program I have incorporated compound lifts, bodybuilding principals, conditioning work, and a good amount of variation to keep things interesting. This program should give you a good balance of strength, lean muscle, and athleticism. It sounds like you already know what you are doing with your diet, and I would just recommend keeping an eye on your pre/post-workout nutrition if you start to run into any recovery or energy problems.

Let me know what you think and we can tweak things from there if you have certain exercises that you prefer. Hopefully this is in line with what you are looking for!
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 12-14-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Format

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Hey Tom I've been working out seriously for almost a year now and would like to know if you knew a reason for my right arm feeling more sore after a workout than my left. My right arm is also bigger than my left slightly noticable. I'm currently on a bulk and eating about 3.5k cals a day just started the bulk. I currently just started starting strength Thanks in advance
    Strength/Size imbalances are common, especially when first starting out. Did you play any sports when you were younger that may have favored one arm? Or sustain any injuries such as a broken bone?

Usually an imbalance will correct itself over time as long as it is not due to an injury or physical limitation (postural problem, etc.).

Working hard to get big
    Eric,

I think that a four day training program would match up well with your goals since it looks like you are interested in a balance of strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning. We can accomplish this by incorporating some of the principals from programs that you have used in the past (5x5, 5/3/1) along with some additional volume, bodybuilding protocols, and GPP work.

Eric's Hybrid 4-Day Program:

Monday: Pulling
    - Chins (Weller Principal / BW x 25 singles, 10-15 seconds rest between sets)
    - Power Clean (or) Hang Clean / 3 sets of 3
    - BB Row Underhand-Overhand [Superset] / 2 sets of 5 & 5
    - Medium Grip High Pulls / 2 sets of 10-15 (with straps)
    - One-Arm DB Row / 2 Sets of 10-15 per arm.
    - Power Snatch / 5 sets of 1
    - Conditioning: Power Cleans / 95 lbs x max reps in 2 minutes (stop at 50)

Tuesday: Pressing
    - Incline Bench Press / 5-3-1 Protocol
    - Flat DB Press / 3 Sets of 8-10 reps
    - Dips / 3 Sets total (2 sets of 3-5 reps, BW x max reps)
    - Decline DB Flyes / 3 Sets of 10-12 reps
    - Conditioning: Pushups (or) Plyo Pushups / 2 sets of max reps in 30-45 seconds

Thursday: Lower Body
    - Squats / 5-3-1 Protocol
    - Rack Pulls (or) Deadlift / 2 sets of 5
    - Standing Lunges / 2 sets of 5 reps (per leg)
    - Front Squat & SLDL [Superset] / 2 sets of 10 reps each
    - Conditioning: Box Jumps (Stairs, Bench, Etc.) / 3 sets of 5-20 reps

Friday: Arms / Shoulders
    - Seated Military Press / 3 sets of 3-8 reps
    - Alternating DB Curls / 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    - Close Grip Bench Press / 2 sets of 5-8 reps
    - Side Raise [Drop Set] / 3 sets of 5, 10 [drop]
    - Hammer Curl & Preacher Curl [Superset] / 3 sets of 10 each
    - DB Overhead Extension / Skull Crusher [Superset] / 3 sets of 10 each
    - Face Pulls / 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    - Conditioning: Tire Sled / 5 sets of 50 ft. sprints or one marathon set (around the block)
    [or] Jump Rope Interval Training / 25 double underís, rest 1 minute, repeat x 5

I would recommend a tire sled over a prowler. The prowler is good but they are expensive and personally I prefer the sled. You can make a tire sled with limited materials for less than $20 and it is a great tool for building conditioning and leg power. There is information about the tire sled earlier in this thread I believe.

As you will see from the program I have incorporated compound lifts, bodybuilding principals, conditioning work, and a good amount of variation to keep things interesting. This program should give you a good balance of strength, lean muscle, and athleticism. It sounds like you already know what you are doing with your diet, and I would just recommend keeping an eye on your pre/post-workout nutrition if you start to run into any recovery or energy problems.

Let me know what you think and we can tweak things from there if you have certain exercises that you prefer. Hopefully this is in line with what you are looking for!
    Tom,

Wow . .this program is awesome! Thank you very much for putting it together for me. I'm going to start right away! It literally incorporates everything I love about training into an excellent 4 day split.

The only thing I may need to tweak is the face pulls . . .I only have bands I could do those with at this point . .or close grip inverted rows? Either way I'll find a way to get that movement in.

I'm going to look for that post on how to build a tire sled as $20 is much easier to afford than a $300+ prowler.

I'll keep you posted on my progress . . .I will start a workout journal in the section on these forums.

Thanks very much Tom,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Bench Press question for you Tom.

I'm stuck at 275x1 and 280x1. I can not hit a double of 275. I'm currently on West side for skinny bastards v3. I have no problem with locking out weight and I have a good floor press. I'm slow off the chest, however. I'm still progressing with DB bench but I've been stuck for 3 weeks with the barbell. Any tips for an ME upper body exercise or accessory work?
    I am by no means a powerlifting expert, but here is what I would do if I were having trouble with the bottom end of my bench press.
    • Include more pause work on rep sets. Get used to exploding the bar off of your chest.
    • Possibly change the width of your grip to incorporate strong triceps / push through sticking point.
    • Make sure that your setup / bar path / elbow angle / breathing are all in order.
    • Strengthen chest muscles with dips and decline pressing.

Tom,
    Wow . .this program is awesome! Thank you very much for putting it together for me. I'm going to start right away! It literally incorporates everything I love about training into an excellent 4 day split.

The only thing I may need to tweak is the face pulls . . .I only have bands I could do those with at this point . .or close grip inverted rows? Either way I'll find a way to get that movement in.

I'm going to look for that post on how to build a tire sled as $20 is much easier to afford than a $300+ prowler.

I'll keep you posted on my progress . . .I will start a workout journal in the section on these forums.

Thanks very much Tom,

Eric
    I am glad that you like the routine; looking forward to following your training journal here as well.

Here are the tire sled instructions:

To make a tire sled you basically just find a car/truck tire in decent condition and then fasten some wood to the top of the tire. Purchase a u-bolt and drill through the tread then use big washers or a piece of wood to fasten the u-bolt. Puling can be done with a chain, rope, or tow straps.

Basic Instructions: Take an old tire, put an eye-bolt on the side with a couple large washers. Take two pieces of scrap 2x4, put them in the tire in an X shape, screw them together. Screw your pipe flange to the center of the 2x4 X, then screw your nipple in the flange as a loading pin. Use ropes, chain or whatever to attach to the eye-bolt for dragging. You can make a harness out of tow strap, as well."

Additional: "If you just want a sled for GPP then you donít need something that can hold massive weight. You can take a car tire, attach a U-bolt for the strap, take a piece of plywood and bolt it to the tire, then take a floor flange (plumbing section) & pipe and attach to ply wood. Done. Youíll have a small sled that you can put in the trunk of your car. But the tire creates enough friction/drag that if you put 4 or 5 plates on there it gets pretty heavy."

I have attached a picture as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the reply Tom. Thats what everyone else is telling me. It's just a constant bother to me when I work out and see it. I used to play football and i usually led with my right arm.