Thread: First bench shirt (sizing)

First bench shirt (sizing)

So I talked to the guys at Detroit Barbell about getting a shirt and they recommended I get a double ply open back rage X. Pretty simple but I'm not sure exactly what size I need. I weigh about 240 and JJ told me I would need something between like a 52 and a 56.

I think the shirt they had me in last time was a 56 dbl open some kind of high end phenom shirt. I got 80lbs out of it but it fit "comfy" more than tight. I'm a weak baby and my best bench yet was 315 off a 2brd (should be able to hit it straight in 2-3 weeks though).

Took some measurements unflexed and got chest 46 (edit: remeasured and I got 48), shoulders 53 or 54, and arms 17.

I think that would put me somewhere like 53-55, but I have no idea whether I would be getting a shirt that would be impossible to touch since I suck so bad...

Any ideas?

Edit: I am also wondering if I would want stuff like scooped neck on the shirt, etc..? Don't want to spend the extra $$ on something that ain't gonna make much a difference, esp since it's a first shirt.
    Last edited by OGROK; 11-09-2009 at 11:13 PM.

with a 46 chest I would think you would want a smaller size like 50-52, but with 17 arms and those shoulders you might want the bigger size, and is the 315 with a shirt on or raw? Most people would probably tell you to get a single ply, but I don't have too much experience with it, I got a used double ply ragex size 52 and have a 48 inch chest, it fits pretty tight on me and hard to get it up against the shoulders, but my first time using it I got 385 for a double first rep down to 3 board second rep down to about 2 board but it tore the crap out of the back side of my triceps. Waiting till probably this weekend to get heavy in the shirt when I have a crew to bench with.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    with a 46 chest I would think you would want a smaller size like 50-52, but with 17 arms and those shoulders you might want the bigger size, and is the 315 with a shirt on or raw? Most people would probably tell you to get a single ply, but I don't have too much experience with it, I got a used double ply ragex size 52 and have a 48 inch chest, it fits pretty tight on me and hard to get it up against the shoulders, but my first time using it I got 385 for a double first rep down to 3 board second rep down to about 2 board but it tore the crap out of the back side of my triceps. Waiting till probably this weekend to get heavy in the shirt when I have a crew to bench with.
    The 315 is raw, in the shirt I did like 370 or 380 or something off a 1brd I think. I would have thought the same thing about single ply but I've already used a double, didn't have any probs with it + the guys at DBB said to get the DBL ply and that a single would just be more likely to blow out.

I re-measured my chest and it actually seems to be a 48.
    Last edited by OGROK; 11-09-2009 at 11:12 PM.

I am 5'9 255lbs, not sure on exact measurements but I know they are pretty similar to yours. I wear a sz50 2ply rage-x and it fits pretty good.

Are your arms 17 flexed or relaxed?

As far as mods to the shirt, I would suggest getting a scooped neck. Grid stitching is also nice, but may make the shirt harder to use for you.

To be honest this is a lot of shirt for your first shirt, but if you are training with a good group you should be fine. It takes me around 500lbs to touch in my rage-x.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

OGROK what is the most weight you have had in your hands eg: 440 5 board press?
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Well, if I hold my arm extended straight out so it's not curled at all out I'm getting 15 or 15.5" or so, is that the measurement I'm looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    OGROK what is the most weight you have had in your hands eg: 440 5 board press?
    The most was in that Super Phenom gym shirt at DBB (JJ told me later it was like a $300 shirt and it was my first time using a shirt LOL). I think it was like 370 or 380. I've never really done heavy high board presses.
    Last edited by OGROK; 11-09-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    Well, if I hold my arm extended straight out so it's not curled at all out I'm getting 15 or 15.5" or so, is that the measurement I'm looking for?

The most was in that Super Phenom gym shirt at DBB (JJ told me later it was like a $300 shirt and it was my first time using a shirt LOL). I think it was like 370 or 380. I've never done really done heavy high board presses.
    Ok I would get a single ply in the same type as you plan on getting 2 ply later.

You will do better this way IMO.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

IDK man I'd take your advice but at Detroit Barbell they said to get a double and not bother with single ply.... They said the single ply is the same thing but more likely to blow out. I did okay in a double before and that thing was a monster so I figured as long as the thing wasn't too tight/jacked up I would be okay. lol and I know if I show up with a single ply they are gonna wonder WTF I didn't listen to them for :P

Btw I appreciate all the help guys.
    Last edited by OGROK; 11-09-2009 at 11:39 PM.

IDK man I'd take your advice but at Detroit Barbell they said to get a double and not bother with single ply.... They said the single ply is the same thing but more likely to blow out. I did okay in a double before and that thing was a monster so I figured as long as the thing wasn't too tight/jacked up I would be okay. lol and I know if I show up with a single ply they are gonna wonder WTF I didn't listen to them for :P

Btw I appreciate all the help guys.
    Just make sure you don't get it tight, can always take it in later.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    I am 5'9 255lbs, not sure on exact measurements but I know they are pretty similar to yours. I wear a sz50 2ply rage-x and it fits pretty good.

Are your arms 17 flexed or relaxed?

As far as mods to the shirt, I would suggest getting a scooped neck. Grid stitching is also nice, but may make the shirt harder to use for you.

To be honest this is a lot of shirt for your first shirt, but if you are training with a good group you should be fine. It takes me around 500lbs to touch in my rage-x.
    I assumed 500 lbs would be the magic number and what I was going to aim for, nice to know I might not be far off my guess.

If I were you I would call Inzer and talk to someone, im sure they can hook you up.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    705SQ, 457BP, 749DL and 1912 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

The guy at Inzer said based on my chest measurement the standard size they would recommend is 52... But I'm not sure I would be able to touch in that, so should I go for the 54?
    Last edited by OGROK; 11-10-2009 at 12:13 PM.

The guy at Inzer said based on my chest measurement the standard size they would recommend is 52... But I'm not sure I would be able to touch in that, so should I go for the 54?
    I think a 54 is going to be huge on you. My arms and chest are a little bigger then yours and i weigh more and my 50 fits good. I am not sure about shoulder size, but mine are fairly big.

I would either go 52 or 50. I know a 52 would be far to big for me.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Yeah man but didn't you say you needed 500lbs to touch in the 50? 500lbs would crush me lol...

EDIT: Just heard back from Brent Mikesell, he said get the 52 and you guys are saying get the 52 so that's the plan..
    Last edited by OGROK; 11-10-2009 at 03:41 PM.