Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather-Pacquiao

Mayweather-Pacquiao

Arguably the greatest fight of our lifetime, and I fear after it if they either or both retire it may continue the decline of boxing...a sport that I love and that really needs new big blood.

Anyways.

This fight has the potential to be incredible. Ive had the fortune to sit ringside at many of these guys fights, and desperately wish I was going to this one. Talked to a close friend who is a Commissioner regarding tickets and he chuckled that "presale" tickets are in the realm of $10,ooo+ a ticket right now.

Im praying that the fight happens in Vegas, even though I wont be able to make it out there for it. I dont know why, but theres something wrong in my mind with having it at that new Dallas joint. No disrespect to Jerry Jones...its just not the right venue IMO.

Really looking forward to this one though. A true movie-like battle. The true blood, takes care of his own "superhero" PacMan, and the villian you love to hate and hate to love Mayweather (although if you met him you would note that his fighter ego is a show and that he is a solid guy.)

Anyone else excited for this one?
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

I don't think i've ever ordered a PPV boxing match, but this is a fight that I would probably order. Should be an amazing fight.

...and I have no idea how this got in the Pics & Vids forum lol. Need a little movement love from a mod...

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    If the boxing promoter and the fighters who are putting on this fight really care about the sport they should put together a crazy undercard. I think it would be awesome if they could get a HW title fight with a Klitchsko brother or maybe show case a young fast guy with serious skills. If it was still viable, the Jones Hopkins fight would of been great. I don't know who's promoting the fight but they could really make an impact.

On the one hand, it would definitely cut down on the profit they would make in the short run. However, in the long run, it would show that boxing is still doing well and can put together very good cards from top to bottom. I feel like the undercards in years past just get worse and worse. It's probably where MMA does better.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Boxing seriously needs this fight. If this turns out of be a great fight, which it probably will, boxing will be able to survive for another year or 2.

Anyone else excited for this one?
    Absolutely. Any idea what the weight would be?

It's obviously a long way off but damn I hope that Manny destroys Floyd.
    Last edited by tom183; 12-07-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Absolutely. Any idea what the weight would be?

It's obviously a long way off but damn I hope that Manny destroys Floyd.
    147 I think.

It could happen as soon as March 13th. Seems too soon to me.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,5899607.story

Wannabebig Member
    Mayweather will win this.

It could happen as soon as March 13th. Seems too soon to me.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,5899607.story
    Its either March or much later. Pacquiao has his election stuff in June I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2 View Post
    I don't think i've ever ordered a PPV boxing match, but this is a fight that I would probably order. Should be an amazing fight.
    i was just telling my girl the same exact thing yesterday. this will be a must buy for me, i can't wait to see it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Boxing is not dead and probably won't be as long as men enjoy violence.

In fact, if you noticed, UFC 'evolved' from its first incarnation to look more and more like boxing. I bet any more rule changes will go further with this trend.

Back on topic.

This fight is going to be ridiculously awesome. I guess I'm in the minority in the sense I prefer Mayweather's more cerebral (I learned to box following a style close to his) approach to boxing than Pac's. The reasoning our boxing coach used was a defensive style, while more difficult to pull off, has more room for improvement and makes you last longer. I agree with him as far as my experience is concerned. Although Pac's style is certainly fun, I think Mayweather is probably more of the purist.

Both of them engage in extracurricular's that should be probably be put off until their careers are over.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Its either March or much later. Pacquiao has his election stuff in June I believe.
    Ah.

This far out, what's your prediction?

Ah.

This far out, what's your prediction?
    Honestly...I think its close enough that I would have to sit in at the training camps to make a judgment. It depends what each of them have done with their time out of the ring, and it will really depend how conditioned each of them shows up in March.

Im a big fan of Freddie Roach, and I think he is smart enough to train Pacquiao into a position to simply outwork Mayweather. I also would think that Mayweather's camp has been structuring a plan against PacMan for months. They knew this fight would come if he continued victorious.

IMO Mayweather will retire for sure after this fight...so he is going to want it BAD. Pacquiao will probably retire and continue to pursue his political career. This is truly a dream fight.

Pacquiao FTW.

^--I believe that Pacquiao will retire after this fight also. I dont think there will be anything left to prove. Paul Williams, maybe but I doubt it would happen.

Im a big fan of Freddie Roach, and I think he is smart enough to train Pacquiao into a position to simply outwork Mayweather.
    I have a lot of faith in Freddie Roach also but I'm not sure that this particular plan would work. It's how he has won his recent fights but his recent opponents have all come at him and tried to exchange punches. This will not be the case against Mayweather. One of my criticisms of Pacquiao is that he doesnt seem to have a back-up plan, he just relies on his superior speed and stamina. Against Floyd's defensive style I think he might need a plan B. I hope Freddie Roach is working on it.

One thing is for sure, Manny has the momentum and is getting better with every fight. The same can't be said about Floyd.

If Manny can get Floyd to engage then I say Manny by late round TKO.
    If Floyd fights his usual fight of hitting and moving to frustrate and tire his opponent then it's Floyd by UD.

I say that with no real confidence though. It's honestly 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by HongMan_Choi View Post
    stfu you as s licker. boxing will survive as long as humans are alive. Much better sport then ufc. boxing is an art.
    This, minus the stfu a-hole part. Boxing is going nowhere. Cotto-Pacquiao just did like 1.25 million buys, and Mayweather/JMM did over a million on the same night the UFC did a big card.

There are plenty of good young boxers out there, they just aren't publicized the same way UFC is. Doesn't mean the sport is dying or is no good. Just off the top of my head you've got Amir Khan (who had a big win this weekend), Victor Ortiz (fighting Sat. on Diaz-Malignaggi 2 undercard), Eddie Chambers, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Juan Manuel Lopez, Celestino Caballero, Guillermo Rigondeaux, Andre Berto (fights Mosley in Jan.), Erislandy Lara, Paul Williams (had a fight of the year candidate w/ Sergio Martinez this weekend), Nonito Donaire, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell, David Haye, etc. Those are just the ones that popped in my head. All good, young, up and coming boxers. Boxing may die to most people, but it won't die to the hardcore fans, and those are who keep the sport going.

The reports are March 13th @ 147 and 8 oz. gloves. It's gonna be a tough one to call. Pac is so fast but Floyd is probably just as fast, maybe a touch slower. Pac punches from so many different angles that guys don't see a lot of things coming and if you try to trade with him, it's over. His power has also carried well as he's gone up in weight, obviously. Floyd won't do that, though. He's the greatest defensive boxer of this generation. Manny will catch him with some shots, but he's probably not gonna catch Floyd with all that stuff he catches everyone else with. Floyd will fight his game and look for opportunities to pop shot and counterpunch. Floyd most likely won't knock Manny out b/c he's not that kind of fighter, but I have a hard time seeing Pac knocking Floyd out, either. I think it comes down to if Floyd can handle the ridiculous pressure Pac will put on him from the bell, and if he can, how will Pac react? Will he get frustrated? That being said, Freddie Roach is the man (Amir Khan, one of his boxers, knocked a guy out in 76 seconds this weekend), and he will have a plan for Mayweather. Floyd only has his crackhead dad and Roger lol.

Floyd is definitely the more technically skilled fighter of the 2. He's the better boxer. Manny's the better fighter. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Great to see some boxing talk on here!

Also, I don't think Pac will be going after Paul Williams. He's 6'2 at least and has a reach of over 80 inches and can fight comfortably at 147, 154, or 160, where his fight this weekend was at. I don't think they want any part of that.
    Last edited by jbrin0tk; 12-08-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Looking forward to it, if anyone can beat Floyd it'll be Pacquiao. With that said I hope Floyd wins, Pacquiao is... annoying to me.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    Looking forward to it, if anyone can beat Floyd it'll be Pacquiao. With that said I hope Floyd wins, Pacquiao is... annoying to me.
    how is that?

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    how is that?
    I don't know, he just is. Maybe it's because I think he's stupid looking. I really don't know why I don't like him that much.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    There are plenty of good young boxers out there, they just aren't publicized the same way UFC is. Doesn't mean the sport is dying or is no good.
    i think that as mma grows it will draw more fans to boxing as well. Because you have a ton of teens now getting into mma and finding boxing for the first time because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    i think that as mma grows it will draw more fans to boxing as well. Because you have a ton of teens now getting into mma and finding boxing for the first time because of it.
    Very true. Boxing just didn't do itself any favors by creating more weight classes and more sanctioning bodies. Now, even lesser fighters can be champions. I still think it takes a world class fighter to hold a belt (well, there are exceptions like Carlos Baldomir) but there are so many now that it almost seems like anyone can be a champion, which is stupid in a lot of people's eyes.

Plus, boxing's heavyweight division is garbage. There is no Tyson, no Lennox Lewis, no Holyfield (even though he's still fighting at age 47 lol), no Riddick Bowe, like there was in the late 80's/early 90's, and of course all the guys from yesteryear like Ali, Liston, Frazier, Foreman, Patterson, and even on back to Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis. That's what kept people tuned in to boxing.

A lot of people think it's garbage if they aren't heavyweight fighters, too. I don't understand that. You can see an epic fight @122lbs. but some people think it's crap because the fighters are small. I don't understand that. A great fight is a great fight. Learn to understand and appreciate the nuances and technique of the sport, and it makes watching that much more enjoyable.

I know you weren't talking about any of that, Slash. I just wanted to rant lol. Boxing talk gets me going lol.

Mayweather will get exposed in this fight. I'm a fan of both and I think Floyd is one of most skilled boxers out there. But Manny and Roach are going to be too much for him and uncle Roger. Roach had his chance to beat money may when he fought De la Hoya and came pretty close. This time around he's got the perfect weapon in Pacman to beat Floyd. I think pac is going to be a completely different fighter come fight night against floyd. If he gets too aggressive he will get countered like crazy. Roach is too smart to let his fighter do that. I Pac is going to confuse floyd and be as unpredictable as he can be so Floyd won't have the time to adjust ( we all know floyd is the master of adjusting to his opponents) then boom lights out for floyd. Manny's shots have way more pop than floyds. Floyd will duck 3 punches from pac then eat the 5 punch combo right after.

btw.. it's my opinion on how this fight is gonna turn out so if you're a floyd fan please feel free to counter :P
    [SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"]Maintaining/Conditioning
    5'5 146 lbs
    progress pics
    Bench press 315 x 1 Dec. 05 Squat 295 x 1 Dec. 05 Dead Lift405 x 1 Dec 05
    Bench press 325 x 1 Jul. 09 Squat 435 x 1 Jul. 09 Dead Lift 480 x1 July 09
    "No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?"
    "Beef is my favorite animal." -CiteCollegiale

Ok, just saw on ESPN that the fight is off, WTF
    http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote Originally Posted by jp2 View Post
    Ok, just saw on ESPN that the fight is off, WTF
    http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
    yeah, i knew this was gonna happen. mayweather is nothing but a big-mouth coward. this was his way to get out of the fight and make it look like manny's fault. pathetic.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I can't see how any objective observer or even Pac nut hugger can possibly blame Mayweather for this fight not happening.

1.) Mayweather agreed to use the 8 oz gloves.

2.) Mayweather agreed to the smaller ring Pacman wanted.

3.) Mayweather agreed to the unprecedented 10 million hit for every lb overweight.

4.) Since Boxing is an olympic sport, demanding olympic style blood testing is not crazy or unprecedented in boxing.

5.) Pac started negotiations with other boxers well before Mayweather did.

6.) Roach's fighters in the past have been caught using PED's. James Toney as an example.

7.) Pac has been changing excuses and using strange logic to duck this testing requirement for awhile.

a.) His first excuse for not wanting blood testing is that he is superstitious and he's afraid of needles. However, he is covered in tatoos.

b.) His second excuse was that he did not want to draw blood 30 days before the fight because it weakens him, however, there is footage revealing that he did that within his last fight.

c.) They are asking to remove maybe a few drops of bloods. This will not weaken him (or anyone) considerably.

d.) Mayweather would be submitted to same style drug testing as Pacquiao. In fact, Mayweather is insisting on this style of drug testing because he consulted with the olympic committee on drug testing.

8.) They had to push the date of the scheduled fight up because of Pacman. This gives them less time to promote it, arguably cutting into both of their purses.

So Mayweather gave into all of Pacquiao's demands, is arguably a greater PPV draw, still spots the unblemished record, agreed to Pacman's date, and didn't negotiate with any fighters other than Pacman during this time. Roach has had fighters take PEDs before, so this isn't a totally crazy accusation. What Mayweather is asking for is not an advantage, unlike the smaller ring or glove size that Pacquiao wanted, but would simply offer a level playing field. Perhaps most ridiculous of all, is Pacman filed a lawsuit DURING negotiations for very frivolous reasons.

Honestly, I think Mayweather ceded way too much to begin with, especially a lot of stuff that will put him at a tactical disadvantage. Pacman is, for some reason, (although to me its fairly obvious why) ducking the drug testing. I think any future opponents should probably ask for random drug testing as well.

Do I like Mayweather's talk or his persona, no. Can the man box? Hell Yes. Does he run or duck people? He takes the big money fights when given the opportunity and the man doesn't run in the ring. He's perhaps the most technical boxer out there. At the end of the day, is he just messing with people? Probably, you can see how gracious he is after the fights or what he's like with his kids.