Thread: Gym Rant

At the corner of 1st & 1st getting there's Avatar

Gym Rant

So I am setting up for my last set at 225x1 on the OHP. I look around and make sure no one is or will be walking in front of me. I see some kid to my side watching me get set, so I unrack the weight and get ready to press. This kid then proceeds to walk right in front of me, stop and start to talk with his buddy, completely blocking my view. I could not see a thing. I was so pissed I only get one rep, rack the weight and seriously consider walking over and caving the kids head in with a dumbbell. It was not so much he blocked my view it was the fact he watched me get set up, waited until I unracked the weight and then proceeded to stand in front of me. If not for my girlfriend being there things might have ended up differently.

Quote Originally Posted by getting there View Post
    So I am setting up for my last set at 225x1 on the OHP. I look around and make sure no one is or will be walking in front of me. I see some kid to my side watching me get set, so I unrack the weight and get ready to press. This kid then proceeds to walk right in front of me, stop and start to talk with his buddy, completely blocking my view. I could not see a thing. I was so pissed I only get one rep, rack the weight and seriously consider walking over and caving the kids head in with a dumbbell. It was not so much he blocked my view it was the fact he watched me get set up, waited until I unracked the weight and then proceeded to stand in front of me. If not for my girlfriend being there things might have ended up differently.
    Don't let her stand in the way of adminstering a beat down. Do it.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Ummm, why do you need to look at yourself in the mirror to do OHP?

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Habit mostly I guess. I know its odd because I never use a mirror when I squat or dead.

Kid was questioning your manhood.

It just really aggravaited me at the time. Kid should have known what I was thinking even though I did not say anything at all. lol Doesn't he know who I am? <---insert sarcasm lol

Set the mood right
    Looking at a mirror is great for keeping proper form, esp with something like a 1RM OHP.
    Last edited by starfox; 12-21-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

Gamer/Lifter
    He just need to work on his mind reading skills.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

So I am setting up for my last set at 225x1 on the OHP... I was so pissed I only get one rep...
    (emphasis mine)
    I thought the point of 225x1 was to do 1 rep.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I am doing Wendler's 5/3/1 program and the last set of the day is x1 or more reps. If you get one rep good, you met your goal, but if you can push it and get more than by all means do so. I had more gas in the tank, I just lost my focus.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    kid = 1
    getting there = 0

dude.. I would have told him to get the **** out of the way, before I even put the weight down..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Habit mostly I guess. I know its odd because I never use a mirror when I squat or dead.
    I always need a mirror when I'm doing overhead presses. It's way too easy a lift for me to mess up.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    You should have just dropped the weight from shoulder height and stared the biatch down. When he heard the weight hit the floor and saw you giving him the evil eye, he woulda got the point.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

You should have asked him if he was paid up on his life insurance policy???? If he didn't take the hint just tell him you would like to talk with him in the parking lot about cars?????

Tyler Tucker
    So my girlfriend asked me to go check out the local rec center with her and like the good boyfriend I figured I would go and deadlift considering I was most likely going to be lifting by myself....

I on my last set and i put 515 on the bar and of course you start getting all the groupies. Here is the list of the great comments from the local rec:

1) "dude, thats a lot of weight, you think you'll lift that"
    2) TOOL: "You need a spot man"
    Me: "Are you going to catch it before it hits the ground?"
    3) under his breath: "someone should call an ambulance before this guys hurts himself.".... it's like they never saw someone actually try and get stronger...

4) so is that for the back?
    5) You are not supposed to use chalk here

Needless to say even my girlfriend was annoyed at the place and actually feels more comfortable at our local Powerlifting Gym (like music to my ears)

All reasons why I hate hate hate hate hate commercial gyms and will probably never join one again unless I find one that stays mostly empty all the time.

And I don't care how strong I could ever get, I can't stand it when people watch me. If I feel people looking at me (I always got looks when deadlifting because no one ever did it...ever) it just saps my strength. I don't even like having a spotter for bench. Power rack, ftw.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    All reasons why I hate hate hate hate hate commercial gyms and will probably never join one again unless I find one that stays mostly empty all the time.

And I don't care how strong I could ever get, I can't stand it when people watch me. If I feel people looking at me (I always got looks when deadlifting because no one ever did it...ever) it just saps my strength. I don't even like having a spotter for bench. Power rack, ftw.
    What about when attractive ladies look at you?
    As stupid as it sounds, I get a little burst of adrenaline if I notice someone checking me out while I'm doing a lift. When people see a little guy like me with a 45lb plate strapped while doing dips or cranking out 14 pullups my inner douche gets excited to show off.

Starting Current

i've only been going to the gym for 2 months now but have seen some pretty funny/weird/crazy stuff. i go to a really small gym, most members are more normal/average fitness levels. the equipment most of these people use is comical. the calf raise machine is more heavily used than the squat rack. most people are using low weight and don't even seem to be taxing themselves. guys are putting weight on the bar they can't do and have their friends spot them on every single rep. guys doing 5 different bicep exercises. TONS of half ROM. i've only seen a handful of guys squat there and only 1 other person deadlift with any sort of weight (i've seen people use like 50lbs and make it some sort of cardio exercise).
    Last edited by feardaram; 01-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    As stupid as it sounds, I get a little burst of adrenaline if I notice someone checking me out while I'm doing a lift. When people see a little guy like me with a 45lb plate strapped while doing dips or cranking out 14 pullups my inner douche gets excited to show off.
    LOL.nah..does nothing for me. My gf poked her head in my workout room the other night and it drove me nuts. I've got an anxious mind that gets distracted and/or self-conscious very easily.

Here's an example..I went to the Arnold meet in 2006. I was at my peak (sadly) with deadlifting. I had pulled 395 pretty easily (bad form and all) a week before the meet, so I decided I was gonna go for 405 at the group workout.

So, I worked my way up to 300 for 10, then did 335 for 1, then pulled 365 easy. Well...then someone notices me going for 405 and all of a sudden I have like 10 people looking at me. I barely got the bar an inch off the ground. It was mildly embarrassing because even on a fail I should have had it at least up on my quads.

I hope that makes sense..it used to be a lot worse. I used to HATE walking into a restaurant to find my group waiting or whatever. I felt like EVERYONE was looking at me.

Oddly enough, I've never had trouble speaking in public or playing my drums in front of anyone.
    Last edited by Patz; 01-05-2010 at 02:10 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

LOL.nah..does nothing for me. My gf poked her head in my workout room the other night and it drove me nuts. I've got an anxious mind that gets distracted and/or self-conscious very easily.

Here's an example..I went to the Arnold meet in 2006. I was at my peak (sadly) with deadlifting. I had pulled 395 pretty easily (bad form and all) a week before the meet, so I decided I was gonna go for 405 at the group workout.

So, I worked my way up to 300 for 10, then did 335 for 1, then pulled 365 easy. Well...then someone notices me going for 405 and all of a sudden I have like 10 people looking at me. I barely got the bar an inch off the ground. It was mildly embarrassing because even on a fail I should have had it at least up on my quads.

I hope that makes sense..it used to be a lot worse. I used to HATE walking into a restaurant to find my group waiting or whatever. I felt like EVERYONE was looking at me.

Oddly enough, I've never had trouble speaking in public or playing my drums in front of anyone.
    It makes total sense. I've always been the "class clown" and love being the center of attention, in fact I would probably say that making large groups of people laugh is one of my favorite things ever in life. But public speaking terrifies me, I am horrible at it, I get incredibly nervous when I have to speak for anything, even small groups.

Starting Current

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    I agree. I like asking random people for a spot when I bench 315 for reps. Then they can go home a cry afterwords. Or when I know people are watching me do deads I alway can do probably at least 2 more reps than I initially planned on doing. Just my way of sticking it to the man.
    BW 210 HT 6'
    BP 315x4 365x1
    S 315x6
    DL 405x5