Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The odds will be against you, but you are true heroes.

Props on the lifting along with the conditioning circuits Fix.

Banned
    nice deads bro. ****, you are doing full pistol squats for reps? that is very impressive. i cant even do one lol

Crap how'd I miss that? Pistol squats!? I thought about attempting ONE of those, but figured I'd just end up on my ass in the floor. I may try it in my bedroom, lol. That's awesome.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Nice deads on friday dude. Actually I should be calling you a ****er because lb for lb you got me BLOWN away on deads... ****er
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Well I should've mentioned that on most of the reps I had to sort of slide my hand down a corner of the squat rack as balance assistance. I still need practice with them, but to be honest they're really not that hard. Just get the technique down then you guys will be busting them out!

Mark - Thank you! It's more than amazing to read all the stuff you do during your workouts You do epic one-legged deadlifts and atlas stones, I figure the least I could do is some one-legged squatting lol.

Coke - I can't express how awesome you've always been since day one of me working out and posting logs (years ago).

f=ma - Dude I've seen those quads of yours. You could rip them out if you just practiced a couple of times!

Behemoth - Haha, well, hopefully lb. for lb. my Deadlift gets worse. I want to put on some lbs. lol. And dude you're a beast, I appreciate anything you have to compliment about me.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

4/26/10: Workout A

Squats (workload at approx. 70% of 1RM)
    BW x 10, 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 135 x 2, 155 x 1
    -(185 x 5) x 3

Standing one-armed DB OH Press
    -35's x 7
    -35's x 5
    -35's x 5

Ghetto T-bar Row
    45 x 5
    -130 x 5 [+10 lbs, - 2 reps]
    -130 x 5 [+10 lbs, - 2 reps]
    -125 x 5

Metcon (didn't have much time)
    5 times:
    --> 5-5-4-3-3 Dips
    --> 20 seconds Plank
    --> 15 BW Squats

I spent a good portion of my time today instructing my sister and brother-in-law on proper squatting and deadlifting form. It feels funny doing so while the "real trainers" at the gym are spending a lot of time instructing trainees to do ****ing curls.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-26-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Looks like a fine session...good deal on showing your folks around the gym.

Coke - Thanx you!

4/28/10: Workout B

Deadlifts (speed/deload)
    45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 5
    -155 x 5
    -175 x 5
    -155 x 5

Bench
    45 x 12, 95 x 7, 135 x 1
    -145 x 5 [+10 lbs]
    -145 x 5 [+10 lbs]
    -145 x 7 [+10 lbs, +1 rep]

It seems like the less frequent I bench the bigger my bench gains are lol.

Circuit
    5 rounds:
    Burpees (5-5-5-5-5)
    Plank2Pushup (5-5-5-5-5)
    Chinups (2-3-2-2-2)

Completed twice; 5 Chinups + negative on last set of second circuit.

I think I'm gonna start adding in Squats again pre-Deadlifts. That was probably for the best Squatting 3x a week. Maybe I'll have them be Speed Squats or something. Eh, we'll see.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-28-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Making the needed adjustments as you go along is super bro, like how you're handling it.

Thank you so much Coke. I would love to meet you one day and lift with you. I think I mentioned a little while ago in your journal that I had a dream where I saw you doing heavily weighted pullups at the gym haha.

4/30/10: Workout A

Squats
    BW x 5, 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 115 x 3, 135 x 2, 155 x 1
    -190 x 5
    -190 x 5
    -190 x 5

Standing One-armed DB Press
    *rotator cuff warmups*
    -40's x 5
    -40's x 5
    -35's x 5

Ghetto Rows
    0 x 5, 45 x 5
    -115 x 5
    -115 x 5
    -115 x 5

*Dips/Crunches/Tuck Jumps completed as 3 circuits with a few minutes of rest at the end
    Dips
    -BW x 15 (+5 reps)
    -BW+10 x 10 (+5 lbs, +5 reps)
    -BW+10 x 9 (+5 lbs, +4 reps)

Crunches
    -BW+10 x 10
    -BW+10 x 10
    -BW+10 x 10

Tuck Jumps
    Lifting Journal

Pretty good stuff there man, well rounded effort.

Banned
    past few efforts are looking solid. keep hitting it. are you sticking with the bulk? bw moving with the goal?

House Lannister
    Nice efforts man. You following a known program or just kinda doing your own thing?

Coke - Thanks again!

f=ma - Well... yes and no. I am sticking with it in spirit, but am still a bit afraid of going overboard with it. I'm taking it pretty slow by having 3 carb days a week (4 if you include cheat day lol) with 3 low-ish carb days. I'm at 156.5 right now after my cheat day, so technically I'm kinda on track but a couple days ago I was at 154.0. I don't know anymore lol. I'll just keep the current diet and see how it pans out.

chevelle2291 - Thank you. I started with SS with sprinting sessions every other day, soon found that to be a bit too much for my legs/hips to handle. Now I'm just still doing 3x full body sessions a week with 2-3 sprinting days a week. Lowered the total squatting volume, which was killing me XD
    Lifting Journal

5/3/10

Morning Weight: 156.5 (+1-2 lbs from last time I weighed)

Deadlifts (medium/heavy-ish effort, will attempt 395x1 next week if I'm feeling up for it)
    bar x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 4, 275 x 3
    -315 x 3
    -335 x 3
    -335 x 3

Bench
    70 x 12, 95 x 5, 125 x 3
    -160 x 5 (+15 lbs)
    -155 x 5 (+10 lbs)
    -155 x 5

Damn it. For some reason I thought I benched 155 last session so I started with 160 today, and it felt rather heavy. I then realized I had only benched 145, so I bumped it down to 155. I hate starting on the wrong weight lol.

*Circuit: Chinups followed by various crunches/twists, and burpees
    Chinups
    -BW x 10 (+2 reps)
    -BW x 9
    -BW x 7

Kinda pissed off today. Sort of hurt my back doing deadlifts... messed up my work sets during bench, and some guy was seriously taking a long ass time to finish with the squat rack (the only place in the gym that I can do supinated chinups) which he was using to curl a barbell. Great!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-03-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    chevelle2291 - Thank you. I started with SS with sprinting sessions every other day, soon found that to be a bit too much for my legs/hips to handle. Now I'm just still doing 3x full body sessions a week with 2-3 sprinting days a week. Lowered the total squatting volume, which was killing me XD
    If sprinting is too much, try Tabatas on an elliptical. Just as taxing metabolically (I think) and less fatiguing than sprints on a track or wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    If sprinting is too much, try Tabatas on an elliptical. Just as taxing metabolically (I think) and less fatiguing than sprints on a track or wherever.
    Hm, that is good advice. I've never actually used a treadmill or cycle or elliptical or stairmaster or whatever before, but I suppose now's a good time to do so haha. Do you think I could get the same result with a rowing machine?
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    nice benching and deads bro. re: weights.. weighing yourself every day at the same time after the same events (e.g., after morning dump after morning shake but before workout/water intake) helps establish a trend much more easily. just have to have a routine established

i like how i weigh 40lbs more than you but you dead the same weights as me haha. im so so weak

That's good advice! I always weigh myself right when I wake up, but always before my morning dump. I think I'd prefer to weigh myself without the poo but I literally can't squeeze it out when I first wake up, but an hour or two later and I can haha. I think I'll start trying to weigh myself after dump and after shake. Or perhaps both.

Anyway, I was 157.0 this morning. w00t! I wish I had a more precise scale though so I could see the inbetween ounces

Oh and how do you pull by the way? I used to pull Conventional, and was doing sets of 2 at around 300 lbs, then I switched to Sumo and immediately hit new PR's and it just kept going up from there haha. I don't think I'll ever go back other than the occasional conventional here and there with lighter weights. I just feel a lot tighter and more powerful sumo. I think lifting barefoot helps too, which is what I recently started to do! Anyway, I appreciate the props, but my bet is that you're not weak with the pulls, but rather that I'm literally trying to do every thing possible to pull every extra lb. of weight I can
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-04-2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Lifting Journal

I was 157.0 this morning. w00t!
    Great news, moving up the scale slow but sure and same with the weights, props.

House Lannister
    Hm, that is good advice. I've never actually used a treadmill or cycle or elliptical or stairmaster or whatever before, but I suppose now's a good time to do so haha. Do you think I could get the same result with a rowing machine?
    Oh definitely! A rowing machine is by far my favorite piece of cardio equipment. I love the fact that it's an upper body/core workout as well as a cardio workout. You might want to try HIIT on an rowing machine as well. I always found that pretty effective.

Coke - Thanks man! I definitely like the slow steady progress. I don't wanna jump the gun too fast haha.

chevelle - Sweet, I'll have to give it a try as a workout finisher some time. I tried screwing around with the rowing machine one time, but I really don't think I was using proper form. Hm...

5/5/10

Jerks
    45 x 5, 65 x 5
    -(95 x 5) x 3

Front Squats
    45 x 5, 65 x 5, 95 x 5, 115 x 5
    -(135 x 5) x 3

First time doing these. They really destroy your core haha.

Dips
    ///plyometric pushup warmup
    -BW+15 x 10 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+15 x 8
    -BW+15 x 5

*Circuit (with some rest between)
    Cable Rows: 100 x 10
    Front Plank: 60 sec.
    DB Curls: 30's x 10 [+2 reps]
    Left Side Plank: 60 sec
    DB Shrugs: 50's x 15
    Right Side Plank: 60 sec

A few hours later...
    HIIT Sprints
    5 x 10-second sprints, 2 minutes rest between each

^ I wanted to see how my body would handle sprinting on the same day as lifting, and I gotta say it was miserably fail. The ever-occuring problem I have is my hip flexors limiting me from sprinting at 100%. And just now out there I felt so damn beat up. I massage and stretch my hip flexors many times a day (especially after my workouts) and perform dynamic warmups before my workouts though. Agh... I'll figure it out later. For now I'll probably stick to sprinting once a week on one of my off days from lifting. Rowing machine here I come! lol.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Not looking bad, I'm sure you will find a way to keep the sprints in the mix without jeapordizing the plan.

Banned
    i pull conventional btw.

wheres todays workout? i know you didnt skip. and ya... front squats are tough. i dont know how people do them at heavy weights (tom mutaffis for instance). i personally find them really tough on my wrists and fingers. ive never been able to find a good groove to hold the bar

Coke: Thanks, I hope so! If worse comes to worse I'll sprint once a week only and on my other off days just throw in some tabata circuits of shadowboxing, sandbag throws, burpees, squat thrusts, etc. Who knows, but I'll do something to stay active!

f=ma - Have you ever tried heavy sumo's? If not I'd be curious to see how you'd do. Yeah they do feel a bit strange on the wrists/arms. I definitely will be working on my flexibility to get the most ideal positioning with Front Squats.

Morning Weigh-in: 156.0 (-1 lb)
    I gotta up my carb intake especially on my lifting days. Right now it's probably around 200-225 g's which doesn't seem like bulking status lol. Will raise to around 300 so as not to jump the gun too quickly. My off-day carb intake is around 80-100 g's. My overall body composition seems improved though, I think I actually look noticeably leaner even though my weight is hovering around the same lbs, so to be honest I'm not really disappointed that I haven't gained weight. I think the consistent sprinting and metcon-type stuff I do has made a huge difference with regulating body fat levels. Admittedly I've been lazy with counting calories. Sometimes I feel like I'm eating a lot, but when I weigh in the scale disagrees haha.

5/7/10

*hip warmup: fire hydrants, leg swings, BW Squats
    Deep Squats (went pretty deep past parallel today)
    45 x 5, 95 x 3, 135 x 3, 165 x 2
    -195 x 5
    -195 x 5
    -195 x 5

200 is the most I've ever used for 3 x 5, and I think I'm going even deeper now. So once I hit 200 next week I'll already be on the rise.

*external rotator cuff exercises on knee
    Standing One-armed DB Press
    -35's x 8 [+1 rep]
    -35's x 7
    -35's x 7

*performed as 3 circuits with rest
    Ghetto Rows
    -(115 x 7) x 3
    Leg Lifts
    -(BW x 10) x 3
    Tuck Jumps
    x20, x25, x30

-finished with some light pushups 3 sets of 20
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-07-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Lifting Journal