Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Allen's Off Season Training and Nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    This is such a great journal, especially for a beginner like me. Great information and diet and such, but could you elaborate a bit more on supplements that you use while bulking.
    I'm not a fan of many supplements other than protein shakes for the most part. Especially in the off season I rely on food to get what I need. Eating 4000-5000 cal a dayI pretty much get everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    It is interresting to see what the possibilities are while thinking outside of the box. Sometimes people are stuck
    in a repertoire of exercises for mass, exercises for being on a diet, cardio for getting lean. So it is good to see
    for people that the ways to ' get there ' are endless and it has not to be either ' this' or 'that' .
    Of course it stays individual and just copying Allen's workout is stupid because this program is written for
    HIM and not in a general way, the program is what Allen needs at this moment of his training carreer and
    personal feedback will lead him trough his off season with the right adjustement, eric
    Goood point! Just copying what I do is not the way to get optimal results especially if you are a beginner. I have built a high workload capacity over the years and just doing my workouts could end up in overtraining. Each program is done for a reason to elicit a specific response to go into the next protocol.

Yes, too many people are traditionalists and are afraid to step outside the box. If you want better results don't be afraid to do so. My results have jumped off the charts over the last 5 years by stepping outside the box so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Goood point! Just copying what I do is not the way to get optimal results especially if you are a beginner. I have built a high workload capacity over the years and just doing my workouts could end up in overtraining. Each program is done for a reason to elicit a specific response to go into the next protocol.

Yes, too many people are traditionalists and are afraid to step outside the box. If you want better results don't be afraid to do so. My results have jumped off the charts over the last 5 years by stepping outside the box so to speak.
    I'm just curious about your protocol. I understand that you have built a high workload capacity and that it's individual. I thought that your bilateral deficit would always proceed your Back workout.

My 1st program that Theo gave me was an Innervation program where there were 4 different workouts per muscle group with some of the body parts (days) would always be proceeded by either quad/ham blasts or abs/core circuits. Just thought yours was similiar like Back/Bilateral circuit or Chest/Quad Blasts etc....

Quote Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
    I'm just curious about your protocol. I understand that you have built a high workload capacity and that it's individual. I thought that your bilateral deficit would always proceed your Back workout.

My 1st program that Theo gave me was an Innervation program where there were 4 different workouts per muscle group with some of the body parts (days) would always be proceeded by either quad/ham blasts or abs/core circuits. Just thought yours was similiar like Back/Bilateral circuit or Chest/Quad Blasts etc....
    I am doing an innervation based workout, but the circuits are not always the same like after shoulders I do a Glute/ham circuit but i have 3 different ones I use. The bi-lateral circuit will always go after back but the movements can vary.

What kind of differences are there (if any) between your methods and Scott Abels. i also see that you have been up quite a high work capacity, and it seems also that your work outs are pretty damn intense. How long does it take to increase ones TEP. Is it an ongoing process? Do start out fairly intense with new trainees and then work on increasing their volume and workload capacity?

Wannabebig Member
    Allen is a mentoring student of Scott Abel ( this means something man ! ) , so of course he is using Scott's methods but Allen is learning the ' principles ' , after learning them there are many methods to reach your goals. Like Scott says ' methods are many , principles are few ' Ones you know the principles the methods
    you can use for a client to reach his / her goals are endless , eric

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    What kind of differences are there (if any) between your methods and Scott Abels. i also see that you have been up quite a high work capacity, and it seems also that your work outs are pretty damn intense. How long does it take to increase ones TEP. Is it an ongoing process? Do start out fairly intense with new trainees and then work on increasing their volume and workload capacity?
    We use basically the same methodology, everyone should be using the same principles. I have my own way I apply these things as do most coaches and do what I know and believe works best.

There is no time frame on how long it takes to increase ones TEP or workload capacity. It depends on many factors. If someone has been in athletics their whole life then they have a better developed CNS which will enable them to start at a higher workload and train with greater intensities than someone who has only lifted weights.

Where an individual starts will depend on where they are currently at. The goal is to always teach them to increase intensity while increasing workload capacity.

Back into training 100% after the first break-in week back. I have uped my calories by about 500 this week and have put on 3 lbs. I'm taking in about 300g protein, 550 carbs, and 50 fat. Weight is at 204 lbs.

Training was good today Did some arm and core work.

Arms:
    - Overhead cable extention 1 x strip set
    - Pushdowns 4 x 10-12
    - One arm reverrse grip pushdown 4 X 12-15
    - DB contentration curl 1 x 6, 1 x 6-8, 2 x 8-10
    - One arm preacher curl 3 x 10-12
    - machine preacher curl 3 x 8-10
    - One arm hammer curl 3 x 10-12

Core:
    1a) High to low cable chops 3 x 15 ES
    1b) ab rollouts 3 x 15

2) Rocky abs 3 x 10

Hey Allen, looks like everything is going well for you.

Definately feeling your approach to scaling up the intensity and volume and the focus on improving work capacity in general over time.

A quick question - what are your thoughts on training movements vs training muscle groups?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Hey Allen, looks like everything is going well for you.

Definately feeling your approach to scaling up the intensity and volume and the focus on improving work capacity in general over time.

A quick question - what are your thoughts on training movements vs training muscle groups?
    If your overall goal is strength and power then your main focus should be on training movements but only with olympic lift variations, squats, bench press, deadlift, and functional exercises. You still want to train the muscle on other traditional lifts like rows, pulldowns, DB press, lateral raises, etc.... to make sure you get proper muscle activation.

Now if your overall goal is development (gaining mass/size) then training the muscle is extremely important so that almost all the stress is on the targeted muscle and you can feel it thru the entire range of motion from the stretch position into the contarted position for greater stimulation and uscle breakdown. But like I have written about before movement based exercises like olympic lift variations and functional exercises should be implemented at certain points in programs during the year for optimal CNS development and to keep your body balanced, which will leadf to greater development and also enhance metabolic rate and workload capacity.

You should never just train one way all the time year in and year out, but more time should be spent geared towards ones main goal.

Todays Leg workout:

1) Front squat 3 x 8-10
    2) Single Leg curl 4 x 12-15
    3) Leg ext. 5 x 10-15
    4) Seated leg curl 4 x 12-15
    5) One legged Leg press 3 x 15

Calves (All 3 sets are done back to back to back with no rest, decreasing time each set)
    1a) Rocking calves (heels never touch) 3 X 30s, 20s, 10s
    1b) TRX leaning calf raise(heels never touch) 3 x 30s, 20s, 10s

Next weeks leg day will be pure torture and one of the hardest I have ever done!!
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 08-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

The reason I asked is because I have just started a 3 day, full body routine based around movements (squats, deads, push press, bench etc) but also containing things like chins, pull ups, rows, DB press etc.

I prefer training like this rather than bodypart splits nowadays, but my plan was to build a foundation of strength through a full body/movement type routine and then perhaps shift to bodypart and a more muscle focused routine.

Thoughts?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the reply.

The reason I asked is because I have just started a 3 day, full body routine based around movements (squats, deads, push press, bench etc) but also containing things like chins, pull ups, rows, DB press etc.

I prefer training like this rather than bodypart splits nowadays, but my plan was to build a foundation of strength through a full body/movement type routine and then perhaps shift to bodypart and a more muscle focused routine.

Thoughts?
    Nothing wrong with full body routines but no need to limit it to just big compound movements, Adding some olympic variations such as one arm snatches once every 3rd workouts is a great addition along with functional movements.

You don't have to do just bodypart splits to have a muscle focused (hypertrophy) program. I have many Hybrid programs that are strength & hypertrophy focused. Many ways to program designed and application.

Leg Day from Hell!!

This was one of the most grueling Leg days I have had in a long time. Today I am sore in every muscle of my quads and hams. It took 45 min to do just 3 sets, but that was the workout.

Leg 30's : 3 sets X 30 reps (each exericse is done for 30 reps in an extended fashion which means if you can crank out 20 or more reps in a row the weight is too light.) Minimal rest between each.

1A) Leg press X 7 plates each side
    1B) BW walking lunge
    1C) Front squats X 100 lbs
    1D) Leg curls X 85 lbs

I have had to adjust my eating plan again due to no weight gain. On top of the 5000 cal I'm eating I will have 1 cheat meal a day (high quality foods of course) and 3-4 on Saturdays. Weight is stuck at 205 lbs.

Wannabebig New Member
    Sounds like a fun diet. I just wanted to let you know even though I don't post much, I still read your log whenever I can. Hopefully you keep updating it for us.

House Lannister
    This was one of the most grueling Leg days I have had in a long time. Today I am sore in every muscle of my quads and hams. It took 45 min to do just 3 sets, but that was the workout.

Leg 30's : 3 sets X 30 reps (each exericse is done for 30 reps in an extended fashion which means if you can crank out 20 or more reps in a row the weight is too light.) Minimal rest between each.

1A) Leg press X 7 plates each side
    1B) BW walking lunge
    1C) Front squats X 100 lbs
    1D) Leg curls X 85 lbs

I have had to adjust my eating plan again due to no weight gain. On top of the 5000 cal I'm eating I will have 1 cheat meal a day (high quality foods of course) and 3-4 on Saturdays. Weight is stuck at 205 lbs.
    Wow that is insane.

Obviously we only get a snapshot of your workouts, but are you usually working in the 20-30 rep range for leg workouts? What's the purpose of the higher reps?

Wannabebig Member
    In this workout I think Allen's main purpose is the duration of overload instead of the amount of overload, eric

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Wow that is insane.

Obviously we only get a snapshot of your workouts, but are you usually working in the 20-30 rep range for leg workouts? What's the purpose of the higher reps?
    It depends on the context of the program I am doing if I do higher reps. On average I do stay in the 10-20 rep range for legs. I have and still do power/strength based programs where my reps are around 5-8.

I have found for overall mass nothing is better than higher reps for legs, especially quads. Now the thing is if you are suppose to do a set of 20-25 reps and you can pump them out straight without a pause then the weight is too light. When I do 15+ reps I use a weight that allows me to only be able to do 10-12 straight reps then have to pause to get more. These are called extended sets and I use them mostly with squats, leg press, leg curls, RDL, never single leg movements.

Banned
    any updates on the training?

Back day

Sorry its been a while since I've posted, clients have been keeping me busy.

Since I started incorporating 1 cheat meal everyday 2 weeks ago on top of my 4500 cal diet I have gained 2lbs and am currently at 212 lbs. I have also started having a hand full of almonds twice a day between meals to help increase my calories. At this point I just have tomake sure I maintain a good appetite and don't suppress it. I look to maintain 212-215 for the next couple months then hopefully gain some more after that. I want the 212 to be a new set weight and I have to maintain it for a minimum of 2 months for that to happen.

I still have 6 months left in my off season so I have plenty of time. I have also been dealing wiith medial epicondlytis on my left elbow due to some extreme tightness in my forearm but I have been getting ART done everyweek and its geeting better.

Here was my back day Thursday:

1) T-bar row 4 x 8-12, 195lbs
    2) Seated cable row 4 x 12-15, 210lbs
    3) Close grip pulldown 4 x 10-12, 170lbs
    4) One arm DB row 3 x 10-12, 110lbs
    5) One arm Hammer strength low row 3 x 10-12 170lbs

Bi-lateral circuit 3 x 8 reps.

I will be heading out to Vegas in 4 weeks for my annual Bday trip as well as to check out the Olympia. I plan on hitting up Golds gym with a friend (who is a monster, 350lbs 6' 3") and we plan on shooting some video of us working out. If we do I'll post it on the forums.

We are all get different results based on our different or individual approaches as you well advocate at times. It's awesome how you go about it all Allen, including sharing your experiences with others.

Looks like you strategically gained about 8lbs within the last month...you staying in the 215 range before fine tuning your physique with contest prep is quite ideal, with your type of build.
    Last edited by Coke; 08-29-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, seems to me an interesting aproach to train very basic programs and always add some kind of triplex or quadplex or bi-lateral circuit. I think it's a good change from doing hybrid or MET programs and it will also keep you leaner in the off-season instead of doing traditional bodypart bodybuilding programs.
    When you have finished your back workout and start with the bi-lateral do you first warm up every exercise or do you start the bi-lateral circuit at full power ? This type of training is also probably the reason you can keep increasing calories, eric

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Allen, seems to me an interesting aproach to train very basic programs and always add some kind of triplex or quadplex or bi-lateral circuit. I think it's a good change from doing hybrid or MET programs and it will also keep you leaner in the off-season instead of doing traditional bodypart bodybuilding programs.
    When you have finished your back workout and start with the bi-lateral do you first warm up every exercise or do you start the bi-lateral circuit at full power ? This type of training is also probably the reason you can keep increasing calories, eric
    My current program would be considered a hybrid because of the added circuits and complexes.

I do One warm up round on all exercises involved in circuit then go all out.

This type of training does help with keeping and/or improving metabolic rate but at same time I could do the program without the hybrid approach and still need the calories I do because of my intensity levels when training. I am in O2 debt just doing single sets. Its also a progression over time with programs.

The circuits added are to induce more growth with the next program as well.

1) T-bar row 4 x 8-12, 195lbs
    2) Seated cable row 4 x 12-15, 210lbs
    3) Close grip pulldown 4 x 10-12, 170lbs
    4) One arm DB row 3 x 10-12, 110lbs
    5) One arm Hammer strength low row 3 x 10-12 170lbs
    Allen, for the T-Bar rows do you use a machine or do you just stack 25s at the end of a barbell? Also, what type of grip do you use for them?

Quote Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
    Allen, for the T-Bar rows do you use a machine or do you just stack 25s at the end of a barbell? Also, what type of grip do you use for them?
    I put a barbell in the corner and put 35's on it. I either just grip the bar or use a close grip triangle bar.