Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A gallon of milk for the lactose-intolerant

A gallon of milk for the lactose-intolerant

Hey guys,

I am doing SS, and am looking to bulk. I know Rippetoe and others recommend a gallon of milk per day. Being lactose intolerant that is impossible for me, while I've grown more accustomed to it then when I was a kid, any more than a glass or two is bad news for me.

So I'm looking for foods to substitute. Whole milk is 8g/13g/8g (fat/carb/protein) per 8 ounces, or roughly 1g/1.5g/1g per ounce. I know there are other nutritional benefits beyond the caloric, which may be difficult to replicate.

Foods I've been looking at include
    - peanut butter and whole bread
    - cottage cheese (again, some limits on quantity)
    - nuts
    - eggs (in lieu of cereal for breakfast)
    - protein powder

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

philip

Wannabebig Member
    forgive me if im wrong, but can u drink lactose free milk? a friend recommended i try lactose free milk because i was having issues with acne while drinking regular milk. it seems to help some by drinking the lactose free milk! good luck

Garage Lifter
    Lactaid tablets are WAY cheaper than lactose free milk and help tremendously with lactose intolerance. You may have luck building up to it if you're willing to give that a shot.

Also, there is more to GOMAD than the calories and protein. IGF-1 is also in there. Best of luck with whatever you do.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wannabebig Member
    if you can get raw milk, you should do it

Lactaid tablets indeed.

I took Lactaid; both the pill and the mix-in variant and they never really worked for me as a kid/teenager. I guess I'll have to try again.

Yeah, I'm aware of the IGF-1. Dad used to be a dairy farmer. As kids, my mom recollects us drinking raw milk straight from the cow; fat clinging to the sides of the cup...

Thanks for the responses. We'll see what happens.

Philip

You can try coconut milk. It doesn't have the protein, but it has 5g of "good" fat per serving. It tastes great in my PWO shakes.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

I'm on a slightly modified form of SS and like the OP, am lactose intolerant.

I'm doing half a gallon of milk a day in addition to my normal eating. I average anywhere from 3,500 to 4,000 calories a day, and about 190 to 225 g protein.

Seems fine. My ivory throne has my name permanently etched on it.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Soy milk? has more protein than the regular stuff
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Soy milk? has more protein than the regular stuff

Not nearly as convenient or as cheap for me.

Also, there's more to milk than just protein and calories. Vitamin D, calcium and phosphorus for example, in significantly higher quantities than soy.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

GOLDS GYM NIPPLE Ts R COOL cheeseburgler's Avatar
    Just get a gallon of milk and a can of Febreeze spray.
    6'2" @ 200 pounds
    Deadlift 405, Squat 315, Bench 260
    Total: 980
    Front Squat: 225x1, 215x3

Log to 1,000 pound total: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?138552

Quote Originally Posted by everphilski View Post

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

philip
    Have you tried Goats Milk? Even though it has lactose in it, a lot of people with lactose intolerance can drink goat milk.

Banned
    uhm

its worth pointing out that the point of GOMAD is to ensure you are getting adequate calories to grow. you dont have to actually drink a gallon of milk per day. in fact, you could eat 2lbs of chicken and 1lb of rice per day instead. or do 1lb lean ground beef, 1lb chicken, 1lb rice, mix it all up, add a bunch of FF cheese and youre golden. drinking a gallon of milk per day is an easy way to tell the "hardgainer" how to gain without explaining why their preconceived notion is wrong.

I'm lactose intolerant as well, I don't drink any milk to be honest. That being said, I try to make it up by eating what I would get from drinking milk.

Trying adding extra things to your meals. You don't have to drink a gallon of milk a day, you just need to get in the extra calories.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    uhm

its worth pointing out that the point of GOMAD is to ensure you are getting adequate calories to grow. you dont have to actually drink a gallon of milk per day. in fact, you could eat 2lbs of chicken and 1lb of rice per day instead. or do 1lb lean ground beef, 1lb chicken, 1lb rice, mix it all up, add a bunch of FF cheese and youre golden. drinking a gallon of milk per day is an easy way to tell the "hardgainer" how to gain without explaining why their preconceived notion is wrong.

of course.

in other words, the SeeFood diet.

I don't think anyone's actually disagreeing with you, for what it's worth.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    uhm

This.

Seriously, a gallon of milk would make me vomit. Eat beef and rice. Or chicken. Pasta. Whatever. Just eat.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I can demolish 3 large cans of skippys natural in a week

Banned
    skippy is awesomely tasty.... but i'm starting to become convinced that higher dietary fat will eventually lead to higher fat storage. possibly due to the caloric density of dietary fat... possibly due to the nature of dietary fat itself. i would keep fats to reasonable amounts from almonds, trace chicken/beef, etc

for the record, i love natty pb though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dropshot001 View Post
    if you can get raw milk, you should do it
    Not worth the risk, IMO.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Not worth the risk, IMO.
    Not to mention it doesn't nothing to address the OP's lactose issues.

Also, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that raw milk is somehow better. Oh noes, pasteurization kills " beneficial enyzmes." Someone please tell me how exactly these amazing enzymes don't get destroyed in my gut, and what health benefits they exactly provide.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post

Also, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that raw milk is somehow better. Oh noes, pasteurization kills " beneficial enyzmes." Someone please tell me how exactly these amazing enzymes don't get destroyed in my gut, and what health benefits they exactly provide.

you mean

does nothing for you?

She's Sarma Melngailis, one of the highest profile advocates for 'raw food' in the NYC metropolitan area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_foodism

Personally I think it's just a bunch of hooey.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post

BLAM! Hit the nail on the head.

FWIW, there is a direct correlation with increased life expectancy and reduced incidence of tuberculosis and brucellosis once pasteurization was made a requirement for milk shipped over state lines.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I think I have developed an intolerance for lactose. Spent a few days without milk and I didn't feel bloated or gassy. Had a tall glass of milk and booom, gas city. While I don't care about gas around others, it hinders my performance in the gym (before a big main lift ie a squat, or mid exercise...could be bad)

Going to a doctor to get the confirmation, but any extra insight would be great.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I think I have developed an intolerance for lactose. Spent a few days without milk and I didn't feel bloated or gassy. Had a tall glass of milk and booom, gas city. While I don't care about gas around others, it hinders my performance in the gym (before a big main lift ie a squat, or mid exercise...could be bad)

Going to a doctor to get the confirmation, but any extra insight would be great.
    I drink a gallon of 2% milk a day and I've adjusted pretty well to it. If I take a day or two off from drinking it (while I'm away or something) and go back on it it's hell again for a day or two. So maybe that's what happened to you. And I fully understand what you mean about it getting in the way during a big lift.

Milk is just a heavy food item (or drink), it causes a bloat feeling and gas, I think that's pretty normal. If one glass of milk causes problems you could be lactose intolerant, but I think most people are.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post

Lactase production in the body slowly decreases as we age- really not surprising, most people past the age of twenty are marginally lactose-intolerant. Screw milk.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results