Thread: Want to be a navy seal(help)

Want to be a navy seal(help)

Hey guys my name is Parker and i have wanted to become a seal for about 8 months now. Before i started training i weighed 210 with 40% body fat now i weight 155 with 10% body fat. I can pull off about 10 pullups, 60 pushups, and 80 sit ups. I run a 6:50 mile and i used to run a 18:00 mile. Now i will tell you my weight lifting max Bench press 160 1x5 Squat 210 2x8 deadlift dont know bad form.

Now i am trying to get a ruitnee going so in 4 years i will be ready. I no most of you will think i am just a kid, and i will have plenty of time when i get older, but i want to get all my lifts, and pushups and pullups up by the time i enroll. Thank you.

That's awesome that you are getting into this now, so that you are prepared for 4 years from now. Too many people want results within a month or a few weeks.....many don't realize that it takes years of constant dedication to get serious results.

That said, there are several good premade programs in the stickies that you could do. I would run "starting strength" first, before you move onto anything else, because that program (along with a proper diet) will get your main lifts up in the fastest way possible. Once you stall on that program, which shouldn't happen for at least a few months providing you are eating enough to recover properly, you can then choose another program depending on your goals:

5/3/1
    Texas method
    Baby got back
    any of the WBB programs
    HCT-12
    Any suggested routine in the "Tom Muttafis Q&A thread"

But definately start with Starting strength, as that will get your squat, deadlift, bench, press, and clean up in the fastest and most efficient manner.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    That's awesome that you are getting into this now, so that you are prepared for 4 years from now. Too many people want results within a month or a few weeks.....many don't realize that it takes years of constant dedication to get serious results.

That said, there are several good premade programs in the stickies that you could do. I would run "starting strength" first, before you move onto anything else, because that program (along with a proper diet) will get your main lifts up in the fastest way possible. Once you stall on that program, which shouldn't happen for at least a few months providing you are eating enough to recover properly, you can then choose another program depending on your goals:

5/3/1
    Texas method
    Baby got back
    any of the WBB programs
    HCT-12
    Any suggested routine in the "Tom Muttafis Q&A thread"

But definately start with Starting strength, as that will get your squat, deadlift, bench, press, and clean up in the fastest and most efficient manner.
    Thank you i will definetly start those do you have any ideas on how to get my pullups and pushups up?
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

Quote Originally Posted by Parker 1995 View Post
    Thank you i will definetly start those do you have any ideas on how to get my pullups and pushups up?
    Have you ever heard of CrossFit? Check out the website: www.crossfit.com (WFS). CrossFit is the ideal training regimen for military, police and firefighters. I can almost guarantee your pull ups and push ups will increase. Spend a couple hours or ays reviewing the website. I think you'll be impressed. Good Luck!!
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Being able to do a lot of pullups and pushups is really a test of muscular endurance for those lifts, and while any one of the programs I suggested would certainly help, it probably wouldn't be the best solution if that is your primary goal.

There are specialized "100 pushup" programs you can find with a quick google search. I'm sure there are similar pullup programs to be found that way as well.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by imxfit View Post
    Have you ever heard of CrossFit? Check out the website: www.crossfit.com (WFS). CrossFit is the ideal training regimen for military, police and firefighters. I can almost guarantee your pull ups and push ups will increase. Spend a couple hours or ays reviewing the website. I think you'll be impressed. Good Luck!!
    Thank you i will definetly check that site out.
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

Quote Originally Posted by Parker 1995 View Post
    Thank you i will definetly check that site out.
    I see you posted your age, don't worry about being 14, especially if you are looking into the bodyweight exercises. 14 is plenty old enough for that, just look at gymnast. However, make sure you are training with a partner or a coach for the heavy lifts. You don't want to over do it, or injure yourself to the point of no return. You are young enough to ensure you get started right. Remember, FORM is everything, form before weight. Start now and in four years, you'll be a beast,
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

SEALs are really into "Crossfit" ~ it' is a near religion among many Teams.

How much are you swimming?

I have a friend who is a SEAL, and he said that the swimming/ diving is the part that most people can't cope with.... that and the constant cold.....

Swimming in the summer is fine, but you'll need to be able to do just as well in the winter as well..... Keep in mind that the water tempature in San Diego is frigid even in July....
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

I could see the benefit of CrossFit in this situation. Just don't do those awful kipping pull-ups they are so proud of.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    I read somewhere recently that the Navy is starting to recruit at endurance-type events. Think Xterra, Ironman, etc. Apparently Seal training is all about endurance, so I'd look into Crossfit, swimming (pool, ocean if possible), SCUBA, off-road triathlons, trail running, etc. I think endurance will be far more important than brute strength.

i know your only 14 but your best option is to head down to the recruiting station and PT with them. you might also want to keep your options open. because i know that you cant enlist into the SOCOM fields without some type of waiver when you are recruited. im personally in the marines and did some work with the seals when i was in iraq in 2008/2009. they are a bunch of cool ass dudes and i have crazy respect for them.

but you might want to start reading about the navys officer program. im sure it would be a lot easier to get accepted into the BUD/S as an officer. as far as enlisted i know that none of the guys we worked with were just right out of bootcamp to the seals. they all had at least 4 years of active service in just a regular infantry MOS. most of them were actually all marines before moving over to the navy to go to BUD/S it was a bonus they got for re-enlisting to try out.

some other options are to look at the other branches too. i dont know how head strong you are on the SEALs but you got the armys rangers and green berets, the marines marsoc and recon, and the airforce para rescue and combat controllers. the seals are pretty elite compared to them. but an idea would be to get in the marines and go MARSOC then re-enlist to the navy to try out for BUD/S. im not saying it cant happen to go to BUD/S as a first time enlisted but it is very unlikely.

as far as training, the seals or any high echelon of infantry they are more about perfect and water tight proficiency when it comes to weapons handling, marksmanship, communication, team work, and anything else it takes to clear a room with another guy and leave without a scratch. with that reason is why they really dont consider first time enlisters for the BUD/S program, not saying its impossible just highly unlikely.

for the physical aspect, really thats the easy part. if you treat every time you train as if its hell week (minus the no sleeping) you would be ready to take it on. crossfit is the best measurement for what they do on a daily basis.

but the best of luck to you. train hard and stay focused and you can get the gold trident someday.

i was just searching a bit and came up on this off the navy website:

Qualifications

By law, only men are eligible to apply for the SEAL program. Upon joining the Navy, you must:

* Meet specific eyesight requirements: 20/40 best eye; 20/70 worst eye; correctable to 20/25 with no color blindness
    * Meet the minimum Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) score: GS+MC+EI=165 or VE+MK+MC+CS=220
    * Be 28 years old or younger
    * Be a U.S. citizen
    * Pass a physical examination required for divers

You must also complete the Physical Screening Test Requirements:

* Swim 500 yards within 12 minutes 30 seconds
    * Rest 10 minutes
    * 42 push-ups within 2 minutes
    * Rest 2 minutes
    * 50 sit-ups within 2 minutes
    * Rest 2 minutes
    * 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
    * Rest 10 minutes
    * 1.5 mile run within 11 minutes 30 seconds
    * Pass a Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL BUD/S physical fitness screening test in Boot Camp and in the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) in order to qualify for a SEAL contract
    Last edited by gmen5681; 06-29-2010 at 03:50 PM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    i know your only 14 but your best option is to head down to the recruiting station and PT with them. you might also want to keep your options open. because i know that you cant enlist into the SOCOM fields without some type of waiver when you are recruited. im personally in the marines and did some work with the seals when i was in iraq in 2008/2009. they are a bunch of cool ass dudes and i have crazy respect for them.
    VERY cool gmen. What I'm always interested in is whether or not the SEAL guys are huger mofos or just crazy in shape, smaller guys? What did they usually look like? I've heard that many aren't much taller than 5'8" or so. True?

Banned
    i would think they want smaller, lean very very fit guys. being big is impractical for a military unit like that

ryan hale's son is under contract for BUDS i think..... maybe he'll post about his thoughts
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-29-2010 at 08:13 PM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    i would think they want smaller, lean very very fit guys. being big is impractical for a military unit like that
    That's what I was thinking.

actually most of them were taller than 5'8". i would say most of them were 5'11"+. i think the shorter guys fall out quicker because of the running and swimming. since the tall guys have the advantage. but as far as build they were on both ends. there were a couple of them that were 175ish with low bf. and then there were a couple guys that were built a lot like Tom Mutaffis is. 230-240 and just solid but not crazy definition. the thing i thought was cool was they were all real down to earth. most people think of them as these crazy killing machines covered in blood and dirt 24/7. but they arent at all. very relaxed and calm even with explosions and ambushes the guys were cool as could be.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Being a SEAL is more a mental test than say a physical. I have a friend who is a SEAL and said that hell week is rightfully called as such for a reason.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

I second the suggestion about simply going and asking the recruiters. They'll likely be happy to discuss all of it with you. There must be info on SEAL training online.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    SEALs are really into "Crossfit" ~ it' is a near religion among many Teams.

How much are you swimming?

I have a friend who is a SEAL, and he said that the swimming/ diving is the part that most people can't cope with.... that and the constant cold.....

Swimming in the summer is fine, but you'll need to be able to do just as well in the winter as well..... Keep in mind that the water tempature in San Diego is frigid even in July....
    I swim 100 laps everyday. Free style, side stroke, and butterfly. I am currently joining my swim team, and i will also be doing football, wrestling, baseball, and MMA. I am a very active kid.
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post

but you might want to start reading about the navys officer program. im sure it would be a lot easier to get accepted into the BUD/S as an officer. as far as enlisted i know that none of the guys we worked with were just right out of bootcamp to the seals. they all had at least 4 years of active service in just a regular infantry MOS. most of them were actually all marines before moving over to the navy to go to BUD/S it was a bonus they got for re-enlisting to try out.

some other options are to look at the other branches too. i dont know how head strong you are on the SEALs but you got the armys rangers and green berets, the marines marsoc and recon, and the airforce para rescue and combat controllers. the seals are pretty elite compared to them. but an idea would be to get in the marines and go MARSOC then re-enlist to the navy to try out for BUD/S. im not saying it cant happen to go to BUD/S as a first time enlisted but it is very unlikely.

as far as training, the seals or any high echelon of infantry they are more about perfect and water tight proficiency when it comes to weapons handling, marksmanship, communication, team work, and anything else it takes to clear a room with another guy and leave without a scratch. with that reason is why they really dont consider first time enlisters for the BUD/S program, not saying its impossible just highly unlikely.

for the physical aspect, really thats the easy part. if you treat every time you train as if its hell week (minus the no sleeping) you would be ready to take it on. crossfit is the best measurement for what they do on a daily basis.

but the best of luck to you. train hard and stay focused and you can get the gold trident someday.

i was just searching a bit and came up on this off the navy website:

Qualifications

By law, only men are eligible to apply for the SEAL program. Upon joining the Navy, you must:

* Meet specific eyesight requirements: 20/40 best eye; 20/70 worst eye; correctable to 20/25 with no color blindness
    * Meet the minimum Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) score: GS+MC+EI=165 or VE+MK+MC+CS=220
    * Be 28 years old or younger
    * Be a U.S. citizen
    * Pass a physical examination required for divers

You must also complete the Physical Screening Test Requirements:

* Swim 500 yards within 12 minutes 30 seconds
    * Rest 10 minutes
    * 42 push-ups within 2 minutes
    * Rest 2 minutes
    * 50 sit-ups within 2 minutes
    * Rest 2 minutes
    * 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
    * Rest 10 minutes
    * 1.5 mile run within 11 minutes 30 seconds
    * Pass a Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL BUD/S physical fitness screening test in Boot Camp and in the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) in order to qualify for a SEAL contract
    Very nice read. I think i will probebly join the marines first considering you have to be 28 years old. As for the test i could easily do like 90 pushups in the 2 minutes the situps would also be easy pullups owuld be difficult considering the swimming so i could probebly get 10. The 1.5 mile run in 11:30 i could do i thought it was like 9 minutes actually nice to see it raised.

As for the lifting i think i will start with starting strength and add in pushups and pullups im still conserned with my pullups though beacuse they could change the requirments by the time i enroll.
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

your pull ups will come fast, just do a max set every day. or there are a TON of pull up programs out there that you could follow to increase them, but as far as the 28 year old thing, its 28 or younger. so minimum would be 17 with parents consent, but regardless i would recommend going 03XX in the marines first to become more proficient in being a war fighter. infantry in the army would work too, but i would highly recommend the marines over them, and im not saying that because im in the marine infantry. i say it because i have worked with soldiers and their tactics and just overall the way they are trained for combat sucks. im not saying that to put down soldiers at all, but its true. for instance when i was in Iraq soldiers are about 2 times more likely to get ambushed over marines because they know that we are just better at doing what we do. we would actually mark out vehicles with US ARMY just to see action more often, as ******ed as it sounds. if you do have any questions about the marines please feel free to PM me. ive been in for almost 4 years now and getting ready to get out. i wont lie to you like the recruiters will.