Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gained an inch on arms in 8 hours. Next day, over half an inch still there :)

Banned
    That's pretty cool man. 20 inch arms!

Are you competing? I remember you saying something about PL or strongman events last time you were around.

The Project has Begun ProjectGoliath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    That's pretty cool man. 20 inch arms!

Are you competing? I remember you saying something about PL or strongman events last time you were around.

Yes! Am competing in the Novice category of the Welsh strongman in march 2011 then competing in the Open category (the main one) in May, 3 months later.

The Novice will be my first comp and i hope to do reasonably well there (ill be quite a bit heavier then most of the guys).

Then for the Open, the weights will be significantly heavier (It's the national comp and top 3 there will qualify for the UK strongest man), so i hope to at least complete the events in the Open and at gain some experience. At the Open competition i'll be quite 'small' compared to the rest of the competitors even though i'll be hopefully be near enough 23stone by then .

Taking my time and getting there slowly but enjoying it all the way!

TP
    >>>>VISIT PROJECT GOLIATH <<<<

How to down Olive Oil Video

10 RULES OF GETTING MASSIVE

I thought bf% was big factor??? I was aiming high.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectGoliath View Post
    I did that one day of guns back in sept. I've not done any serious bicep and tricep training since but have bulked from 133kg to about 138kg by training 3 times a week following a deadlift/back, squat/ham, strongman events split with occasional 'push' days thrown in. ive been eating (aiming for at least) 6500kcal daily. During that one day in sept i 'pumped' my arms from 18.5 inches to 19.5 inches. Now, 2 months later, again pumped (but just from a generic workout) they are 20 inches. So half an inch gain since then. The last time before this i did the day of guns workout was 18 months ago.

I dont know what to say about the trickery, its kind of hard to portray scale in a 2d photograph but if it helps at all im 6 foot 4 and weigh around 138kg so i suppose long arms may mask the gun possibly? But apart from that i really dont have anything to prove on an internet forum, i'm just doing this post as a point of interest.

TP
    Well of course you have something to prove. Look at the links in your signature. You are selling yourself and your 'project'.

Height can certainly make a difference. At your height and weight a 20" arm is certainly within reason.

I'm curious what your lifts are like these days? You are carrying a lot of body weight.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Well of course you have something to prove. Look at the links in your signature. You are selling yourself and your 'project'.

Height can certainly make a difference. At your height and weight a 20" arm is certainly within reason.

I'm curious what your lifts are like these days? You are carrying a lot of body weight.
    From his site:

Weight: 135kg (~300lbs)
    Body fat: ~25% (measured on one of those joker electrical conduction toys, lolfail).
    Arms (warm and tensed): ~19"
    Legs: (cold and untensed): ~30"
    1RM deadlift: 250kg (550lbs)
    1RM bench: 185kg (407lbs)
    1RM Squat: 270kg (595lbs)
    1RM Push Press: 170kg (375lbs) (increased sept 2010 from 155kg to 170kg)

Hmmm. Perhaps he needs to change programs and take advantage of all of that size he has. Goliath, something like Westside could make you MUCH stronger than you are now.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Hmmm. Perhaps he needs to change programs and take advantage of all of that size he has. Goliath, something like Westside could make you MUCH stronger than you are now.
    Forgive my ignorance, but aren't those pretty solid numbers regardless? I don't see how he could get stronger any faster, aside from time at this point?
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

All those lifts are Raw (belt only) and i'm doing it all naturally (just creatine mono) so it's all taking a bit of time (been training for 5 years with rugby being the focus until 2 years ago). What would you consider good targets considering raw? I was thinking 200kg (441lb) bench, 300kg (661lbs) squat and 300kg (661lbs) dead, at least as an intermediate goal by next year or so then who knows...

I did do Westside for a period of time and i did really enjoy it. The only problem at the moment is that i don't have time to do the Dynamic effort days as i'm currently final year of my medical degree and with the strongman (especially within 4months) the emphasis is slightly off 1RM lifts. However i'm not making excuses just taking a bit of time over it. I will however re-look into westside again and see if i can incorporate anything new. I have been using chains occasionally and enjoy that as well.

The deadlift is up to 270kg now just short of 280kg (617lbs) (grip slipped - was on a 2inch axle bar). And hopefully the other lifts may have increased slightly since gaining some weight.

Admittedly i am not as strong for my weight as i should be but i've been on and off bulking for a long time now so i suppose i need to catch up with the strength work but it's all coming along at a decent pace so as long as i'm avoiding injury i'm happy but i'd be willing to accept any tips or advice you had to offer?

With projectgoliath i'm not literally selling anything, it's just a hobby, there are no adverts and no products, the main audience is people at my gym and if nothing else it's a training journal and jokey blog that i can look back on in 10 years and have a laugh about.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't those pretty solid numbers regardless? I don't see how he could get stronger any faster, aside from time at this point?
    I agree with you, my lifts are all increasing steadily so i don't know how i would get stronger any faster but i suppose as it stands now at 138kg bw i should be lifting more

Emil

Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    They are not bad, and pretty good for someone clean. With that said, at his body weight he should be lifting more.
    Last edited by chris mason; 12-01-2010 at 08:39 PM.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    The only feasible way to gain 1 inch on the arms is to gain about 10-15 pounds of total body weight, sorry kid been there done that and seen it, not true, gains are temporary. Solid lifts, keep lifting and learn and youll see how incorrect things like this are
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wannabebig Member
    Is that really possible? I never knew about that! Well, I should try it by myself. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectGoliath View Post
    UPDATE:

Not to dig up an old thread but heres an update.

Original guns day was 26th sept. 18.5inches cold and 19.5inches after the 8 hours of guns.

Today 30th nov. 20 inches after a 60minute gun session.

So i've kept the inch and gained another half inch in 2 months. Really pleased with the progress. There was no specific bicep/tricep work in this. I've gained about 10lbs of weight since then but the workout has been squats, deads, rows and presses and strongman event training. The only bicep work has been occasional hammer curls for the bicep tendon.

I'm not saying that the 8 hours of guns did this but i suppose to a degree the old saying that: " to gain an inch on your guns you need to gain 20lbs" is true. And i'm going to gain another 10lbs and see if i can keep up the gains.

Cheers

TP

I like how your measuring partner is giving all of us the middle finger.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    The only feasible way to gain 1 inch on the arms is to gain about 10-15 pounds of total body weight, sorry kid been there done that and seen it, not true, gains are temporary. Solid lifts, keep lifting and learn and you'll see how incorrect things like this are
    Did you read the thread? He gained 15 pounds since the first post and agrees with this idea.

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    Having 20" arms when you are 6' 4" and weigh 300 lbs. isn't that strange. Especially if you are taking creatine. I'm 3" shorter and weighed ~250 lbs. and measured 19" cold arms. Wow, big deal. All that says is that I was fat. When I get down to 200 lbs. ~10%, I will probably have ~16.5" arms.

And I would be surprised if you are only 25% bf. Or put another way, if you ever lose weight and get down to say 10%-12% bf, I can pretty much gurantee you that you will have nowhere near ~230 LBM. I would be SHOCKED in fact if you had over 200 LBM at that bf% or weighed over 220. In fact, I was just talking to a guy that won his NGA and the IFPA pro cards last year. He is 6' 3" and estimates that he is ~10% @ 220 lbs. and competes at just over 200 lbs.

Your 1" "gain" in arm size is pretty much down to the fact that you gained 10-15 lbs. in bodyweight (as others have said and you pretty much agree with). Nothing surprising in that. Do you have a log that tracks your waist size (no sucking-in or pulling the tape tight as a tourniquet and try to keep the tape within shouting distance of your naval).
    Right, waist size is 43 inches about an inch above my naval, i've no idea what it was previously but it has grown :P. And here is a picture (attatchments) i just took now. Admittedly i tensed in the pic (c'mon...) but for the waist measurement I DID NOT, neutral belly .

Now the fat measurement of 25% was from 10 months ago when i weighed about 132kg AND it was on an electric impedence thingy so take the number with a pinch of salt. I have no doubt gained fat since then and my girlfriend will attest to this (she hates it) but in terms of the actual number i have no idea?? any suggestions?

To be honest i'm not too fussed either, my discipline is strongman so a bit of extra weight isnt a problem for me. My target weight is 145kg so i'll no doubt gain more fat to then. I'm not saying that the inch increase in guns was pure muscle, far from it!!! I'm just validating that a 10lb increase is weight has given me 1/2 inch on my guns and hopefullly 20lbs with give me a full inch.

Basically i was so happy to finally break 20inches that i got excited and posted a picture

Emil

Emil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't let them get you down...Progress is progress.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Don't let them get you down...Progress is progress.
    I swear the board has become a lot more negative recently...

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:52 AM.