Thread: Genetic limitations?

Genetic limitations?

I 've always wondered what my genetic limitations are. I recently stumbled across some calculator that claims to be able to work out your max potential.

http://www.weightrainer.net/maximum_bodypred.html

At first i was disappointed i got..
    Chest: 46.9 in Biceps: 17.5 in
    Forearms: 13.8 in Neck: 17.3 in
    Thighs: 23.8 in Calves: 16.5 in
    @ 8-10% BF

However my thighs were 23.5 inches before i even started weight lifting!! i 'm 24 now.. I 'm pretty sure that naturally i could surpass 17.5 inch biceps too. They are 16.2 after only 9 months training @ 13% BF

just interested into what do you guys think to this calculator? or have any views on 'natural limits' Do you think it is possible to surpass these measurements?

Any such calculator is nothing better than an educated guess. Don't bother with them.

I agree. The top bodybuilders have small joints and large muscle bellies.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Actually, most of these equations, including Casey's, are based off of TOP level natural bodybuilders. So they are indeed a very good indicator of what you can expect or strive to aim for. It's doubtful you're going to be that one in a billion that blows those equations away. Besides that, most people are much fatter than they think they are and dont measure bodyfat correctly. Its easy to add an inch to your arms and legs with fat.

From Casey Butt -

"Over the years I’ve also received many emails full of unsubstantiated claims, hostile remarks and even personal attacks because of the information presented here. But in that time, though many have told me they’re easily going to surpass these predictions, I haven ‘t received any legitimate, verifiable statistics that significantly exceed the results of the equations presented above …including correspondence with some of today’s top-ranked drug-free bodybuilders upon which the equations were partially based."

Its a realtiy check for most people.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I agree. The top bodybuilders have small joints and large muscle bellies.
    And arent natural.

Not many natural Body builders out there with 7 inch wrists and 20 inch biceps.

I think the calculator is somewhat accurate, but ofcourse it could never be 100% accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    And arent natural.

Not many natural Body builders out there with 7 inch wrists and 20 inch biceps.

I think the calculator is somewhat accurate, but ofcourse it could never be 100% accurate.
    Huh? Where did I give measurements or talk about natural vs drug fed?

My point was that these calulators, especially those based on top level bodybuilders (natural or not), won't tell ANYBODY what their potential is. It can only tell you what MIGHT be possible.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Huh? Where did I give measurements or talk about natural vs drug fed?

My point was that these calulators, especially those based on top level bodybuilders (natural or not), won't tell ANYBODY what their potential is. It can only tell you what MIGHT be possible.
    If you are talking about "large" by the standard of bodybuilding, then it isnt wrong to associate said quality in terms of competitors most prevalent in the sport. That would be those on anabolic drugs. You cant just say "large" and ignore the entire other half of body building without specifically stating so if communicating clearly is a priority.

I see you meant naturally, in that case, I still think the website makes some great points.

This is where the explanation for the calculator is.
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.

I think it will tell you what your potential could be also. However, I dont think most people will hit the higher numbers since its based on top natural body builders. People just dont have the hormones to add crazy amounts of muscle and huuuuuuuuuge guns naturally.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Last edited by r2473; 02-15-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    There is no way I could hit the measurements I got from the calculator @ 8%-10% bodyfat.

My predictions are almost identical to Steve Reeves measurements. Probably not going to happen.

Wrist: 7.38"

Ankle: 9.5"

Height: 73"

The other calculator says I could weight 218 lbs. @ 10%. Not a chance. Reeves himself won his Universe title in 1951 weighing ~214lbs. @ 8% from what I've read. I would have a better chance of sprouting wings than doing this (drug free that is).

http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html
    Nice to see someone is realistic. So many people think the sky is their limit and have no damn idea what a FFMI of > 25 is or what its based off of.

even using drugs there are limitations otherwise everybody would be arnold or barry bonds.

Starting to wonder if a high base metabolism is a limiter. A lot of smaller guys who are still near my height tell me they can't gain weight if they try, or if they do it's all fat. I'm fairly sure they just get frustrated by how much the fat shows on them being smaller and just work at losing the fat and not working out, but I dunno...

Codeguru

Last edited by r2473; 02-15-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Interesting discussion guys.. I think partly your all right. I think the calculator can give a rough guess at best, however i do also think that as RichMcGuire points out, it's a reality check for most people.

I agree with off road "My point was that these calulators, especially those based on top level bodybuilders (natural or not), won't tell ANYBODY what their potential is. It can only tell you what MIGHT be possible."

I think this calculator is an indication at best.. I hit my measurements in and my thighs are already bigger than the thing says it can be. My BF is not much higher than the body fat estimated size either ( Calc predicts 8-10%, i 'm 12.5-13%).

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by JT111 View Post

I think this calculator is an indication at best.. I hit my measurements in and my thighs are already bigger than the thing says it can be. My BF is not much higher than the body fat estimated size either ( Calc predicts 8-10%, i 'm 12.5-13%).
    Then you probably squat 2.5x your body weight. Not saying you dont, just saying you have gifted legs then.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    Then you probably squat 2.5x your body weight. Not saying you dont, just saying you have gifted legs then.
    Well this is the surprising thing... I'm new to weight lifting ( only lifted properly for 6 months ) and my legs were around 23inches before i started.. admittedly my bodyfat was far higher at 17-19%.
    No Bull****.

@10 percent it said my biceps would be 17 there already 18. but I am anywhere between 16-20 percent bodyfat I would guess, at 275 pounds. i dont think the calculator is very accurate

I refuse point blank to ever acknowledge my 'genetic limitations' I refuse to believe that I could stay;

A) injury free enough
    B) strict enough with my diet for long enough without life/point A going wrong
    C) manage to get the above both nailed while hitting through the long long long process of going from 95%potential to 100%

So I basically think it doesn't matter one little bit you won't make it anyway due to other factors so just do what you can.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

The biggest issue when trying to interpret this calculator in the condition that the person is 8-10% bodyfat. If you are not that lean then you can easily exceed the measurements that are listed. Someone who is truly 8-10% bodyfat is very lean. What most people think is 10% is really about 14%.
    Personally I wouldn't pay attention to it too much since many people won't try to maintain 8-10% bodyfat, which makes the results largely irrelevant. It could be a reality check for someone who thinks they can be 275+ and ripped and stay natural.

This is all mental masturbation.

Go train and eat your ass off and see how big you can get.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Good luck guys.

lol, yea, its probably not worth worrying about this. I'd bet money.. and I mean a lot of money, that no one is gonig to surpass those figures. The ones who think they will probably havent read the book or dont know what the numbers are based off of. But on a pyschological side, no one wants to be told what they can and cannot achieve and cutting training intesnity because you're depressed would suck

Its also worth mentioning that some people look better at 15% bf than they do at 10% bf. And adding fat to your bodyparts will make them bigger. At least on the measuring tape.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 02-15-2011 at 02:52 PM.