Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric Cartman's Old School Back to Basics Ultra-Mega-Mega Training Log!!!!

Oh, okay, I see now.
    I'm keeping my eye on you...Hahaha
    Last edited by Off Road; 07-14-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I was an idiot for suggesting that this workout is too easy.... the intensity is starting to increase, I can only imagine what the upcoming weeks will be like..

07-15-11

Squat 45x5 45x3 55x1 75x20
    Pullover 15x20

Bench Press 45x5 70x3 90x1 105x12

Military Press 20x5 20x3 30x1 50x12

Row 10x5 10x3 30x1 45x12

Barbell Curls 10x5 20x3 30x1 55x12

Situp max incline - 10x12

Very nice workout...get those rows up there to match your bench press.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Weighing in at 164.5 lbs today...

My muscles look a lot bigger, definitely got some growth these 2 weeks.. I've been eating like a horse on my workout days too..

Can't really explain the loss of weight, perhaps I'm recomping.. I look much better.

EC

Eat more
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Unfortunately I wont be able to workout till later this week, due to some unexpected events..

I hope a few more days off won't impact my progress.

Also, I will try to eat more... I'm already having 500 calorie recovery shakes and tons of steaks and chicken and tuna.. I feel I'm eating everything possible.. I guess I need to up the calories a bit more

EC

07-20-11

Squat 45x5 45x3 65x1 85x10 85x10
    Pullover 30x20

Bench 45x5 65x3 95x2 110x7

Military Press 20x5 20x3 30x1 55x12

Rows 10x5 10x3 30x1 50x8

Curls 10x5 20x3 30x1 60x10

Situp 10x12

Comments: Bench and rows possibly stalling... doubt an extra two days off has anything to do with it, the weights just are starting to feel more heavy by the time my reps get up there...
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-20-2011 at 04:54 PM.

There is something horribly wrong. You are barely pressing and rowing the barbell and you are already stalling., There is absolutely no way you can curl more than you can row, the back plus biceps has to be stronger than the biceps alone. Plus, you are benching more than you squat. Everything is way out of whack.

I was hoping to get around 12 weeks of progression out of you before we hit this spot. But that is not going to happen. So, if I was you, here's what I think you should do...

Forget about linear progression, I'd start using double progression, you need to get those numbers up there. If you fail to make the required reps then keep the weight the same until you hit the required reps for two sessions in a row. When you are able to get all 12 reps for two sessions in a row, then add 5 lbs to the lift and start all over.

And quit swapping the squats so often. You need some consistancy to keep progress going. Stick with 20 reppers and only do the 2x10 when things absolutely need a break.
    Last edited by Off Road; 07-20-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    There is something horribly wrong. You are barely pressing and rowing the barbell and you are already stalling., There is absolutely no way you can curl more than you can row, the back plus biceps has to be stronger than the biceps alone. Plus, you are benching more than you squat. Everything is way out of whack.

I was hoping to get around 12 weeks of progression out of you before we hit this spot. But that is not going to happen.
    Well a couple of comments:

1. I'm doing Lying T-Bar Rows instead of Barbell Rows... I've always preferred doing rows that way... should I change to Barbell Rows, or does it not matter?

2. My record for bench is only 135 lbs for about 5 reps... My record for squat is only 125 lbs for 5 reps. So are these stalls really so unexpected? I imagine the 20 rep squats are gonna get TOUGH really soon actually, as I approach my current maximums..

3. Doing this 20 rep set of pullovers with 15 lb weights in each hand might be having a fatiguing effect on my shoulders and lats. Should I drop the weight on this?

So yeah, my strength does suck, but I kind of knew that going into this routine...
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-21-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Pullovers, use 25 lbs max, not in both hands. It's a stretching/breathing exercise, not a muscle builder. Go light and get a good stretch.

Stick with 20 rep squats and fight for the 20 every time. Don't be afraid to drop the squat frequency to twice a week, or even once a week when things get brutal.

I have no idea what a lying t-bar row even is. Stick to the basics.

Definitely use the double progression and stick with this routine for a long time until you build up some strength. Basics, basics, basics.
    Last edited by Off Road; 07-21-2011 at 02:17 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Okay, I will follow your advice... I am ashamed that I stalled this fast, but I've had these type of plateaus for a long time..

One thing though,... you're modifying the program by sometimes squatting once or twice per week...

I always get accused of "You Didn't Do The Program"...

Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-21-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Would it make you feel any better if you knew that Peary Rader himself said that if was to write that routine over today that he'd only have the guys squat twice a week?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Would it make you feel any better if you knew that Peary Rader himself said that if was to write that routine over today that he'd only have the guys squat twice a week?
    Interesting...

If I had his email, I could even make him read my log..

I just hope you don't think I'm riding your ass about these workouts. I don't mean to come off like an overbearing ass-hole, I just really want to see you make some improvements. There's only so much I can do to help, it's up to you to bust your ass every session and get past these hurdles. Effort, progression, and eating will be your best freinds right now. Try dropping the workouts to twice a week and we'll see what happens.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I just hope you don't think I'm riding your ass about these workouts. I don't mean to come off like an overbearing ass-hole, I just really want to see you make some improvements. There's only so much I can do to help, it's up to you to bust your ass every session and get past these hurdles. Effort, progression, and eating will be your best freinds right now. Try dropping the workouts to twice a week and we'll see what happens.
    Off Road, no worries. your comments on my journal are really helpful...

I definitely started this journal because I need help to break through these plateaus that I keep hitting.... I don't seem to have the "linear progression" that everyone else gets. We both want to see me make progress.

I will squat twice a week and do double progressions, sounds reasonable. But you still want me to do the upper body routine 3 times a week, right? We are just limiting squats I thought..
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-21-2011 at 02:06 PM.

No, same routine but only twice a week. The goal is to give yourself time to compensate and not stall-out like you have been.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

No, same routine but only twice a week. The goal is to give yourself time to compensate and not stall-out like you have been.
    Okay, I'm gonna lift on Friday and Sunday and see how I do... maybe I can break through this with some extra effort...

If its obvious that I've definitely stalled out, then I will consider dropping the routine to twice a week..

But ideally, I prefer to work out more often then that... even if we have to do a body part split or change to a different routine... I gotta get in the gym often!! Three times a week is good for my body, I need the exercise..
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-21-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    But ideally, I prefer to work out more often then that... even if we have to do a body part split or change to a different routine... I gotta get in the gym often!! Three times a week is good for my body, I need the exercise..
    I give up. Good luck.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I give up. Good luck.
    I always take your advice seriously, and I tried to follow it, as much as I could..

Thanks for your help...

If you want to give up, I understand...

Peace,
    EC

Eric,
    No one's giving up here... If we "have to ride your ass like Zorro", you're going to succeed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what happened here?:
    7/15 - SQ: 75 x 20
    7/20 - SQ: 85 x 10 x 2 sets
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Stick with 20 rep squats and fight for the 20 every time. Don't be afraid to drop the squat frequency to twice a week, or even once a week when things get brutal.
    Reread this Eric.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Eric,
    No one's giving up here... If we "have to ride your ass like Zorro", you're going to succeed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what happened here?:
    7/15 - SQ: 75 x 20
    7/20 - SQ: 85 x 10 x 2 sets
    The original plan which I got from the Peary Rader website was something like this:

Monday 1: 85x10 85x10
    Wednesday: 85x20
    Friday: 85x15 85x15

Monday: 95x10 95x10

etc...

So that was the goal of each week's progression..

I felt I could push through this stall, right now recovery doesn't seem to be the issue. My body feels good before each workout..

If you guys really think I should be cutting down to working out twice a week at this point, I will give it a shot..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    The original plan which I got from the Peary Rader website was something like this:

Monday 1: 85x10 85x10
    Wednesday: 85x20
    Friday: 85x15 85x15

Monday: 95x10 95x10

etc...

So that was the goal of each week's progression..

I felt I could push through this stall, right now recovery doesn't seem to be the issue. My body feels good before each workout..

If you guys really think I should be cutting down to working out twice a week at this point, I will give it a shot..
    Ah, well, if you are progressing and hitting those numbers, I would not be concerned. However, if you do begin to stall, don't be afraid to rest. "Trying harder" doesn't usually work if you're already busting ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Ah, well, if you are progressing and hitting those numbers, I would not be concerned. However, if you do begin to stall, don't be afraid to rest. "Trying harder" doesn't usually work if you're already busting ass.
    I think its good to allow your body more recovery time when you're sore, and I think the suggestion to squat once or twice a week when things get "brutal" was a GREAT IDEA.

I'm just not sure I needed to cut the entire routine down to twice a week, seemed a bit drastic after only two weeks and a partial stall!

I'm just offering my input..

The bottom line is that I realize you guys are the experienced weight lifters, and I'm ultimately going to follow your leadership.. so please stick with me!!

Taking a session off if you are working hard will do nothing but energize you to come back and tackle the weights.

Go to bed and get some sleep!