Thread: Tablets

Wannabebig Member

Tablets

Hey,

Just bought myself a Black Berry Playbook, it is very fun to play with so far and seems quite practical for me, especially over the iPad since the iPad doesnt support flash(donno why??:S)..anyway, anyone else here have a tablet of any kind and what kind and how do they like it. You have experience with multiple types of tablets?

Just trying to see if I really made the best choice, because I still have 14 days to return this thing..

also anyone know any cool tablet friendly games to plaY?

i bought my wife the original ipad in may and she loves it. she doesnt even use her mac pro anymore. and with the new icloud its even more convient because everything sinks together so nicely. i tried to talk her into a different brand but she is hardcore about apple.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Wannabebig Member
    Angry Birds is supposed to be the big game right now.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I won an iPad1 back in May, so I've been tinkering with it. I just like it for wifi/ browsing mobility. Aside from it, I really don't use it out side of scheduling and notes.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

It doesn't support Flash because it's a security nightmare, chews through battery, and runs very poorly on mobile devices, not to mention it would compromise their App store $ales. I don't frequent any sites that require it, but possibly you do. To each his own. Even Adobe knows HTML5 is taking over, and have just released a bunch of tools to aid conversion.

Once Apple releases an iPad with a "Retina" display, whether it's 300ppi or a little higher or lower, I don't care....I'm sold.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

I acquired a HP Touchpad from one of my customers and love it. I don't really use it to type , though a Kensington keyfolio case would be nice (case with a built in keyboard). It is great for browsing the web and I use it at work for presentations.

I do not own a Ipad, but I do have an iphone and like them equally as much. I do think the HP Touchpad has some very cool features and its wireless charging dock is key.

I also own two netbooks, which I absolutely love.
    Last edited by Cards; 08-12-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    I acquired a HP Touchpad from one of my customers and love it.
    LOVE WebOS! Period!
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    It doesn't support Flash because it's a security nightmare, chews through battery, and runs very poorly on mobile devices, not to mention it would compromise their App store $ales. I don't frequent any sites that require it, but possibly you do. To each his own. Even Adobe knows HTML5 is taking over, and have just released a bunch of tools to aid conversion.

Once Apple releases an iPad with a "Retina" display, whether it's 300ppi or a little higher or lower, I don't care....I'm sold.
    Not sure which mobile devices your referring to have you even tried flash on a mobile phone? While it's far from perfect it more then gets the job done. At least for the purposes I need it for. I'm able to stream TV shows off of various sites in full screen mode perfectly. Your right it chews through battery but I have a car charger and home charger so I'm fine with that. As far as security I've had no problems in the @2+ years I've been using flash.

Apple likes to attack and down play flash support which makes sense because they will never have it so why give it any praise at all. The reality is no one knows if or when HTML 5 will replace flash trying to predict whats going to happen in the tech industry is near impossible.

I also have no problems with flash on my Android Phone. Runs great. Drains battery for sure though. I think I would go for an Android based tab if I get one.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Firesale on HP Touchpads going on. Sure you won't get any OS support going forward but for $99 that is a steal.

http://www.dailytech.com/16GB+32GB+H...ticle22501.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Firesale on HP Touchpads going on. Sure you won't get any OS support going forward but for $99 that is a steal.

http://www.dailytech.com/16GB+32GB+H...ticle22501.htm
    Great deal. I'm personally waiting before I get any tablet. The Technology is so new and growing fast. I'm definitely not dealing with no flash support to many websites use it. Couldn't even pay my satellite bill online before flash came to Google.

I am trying to get a touchpad, most places are sold out but might get lucky on HP's website. WebOS supports flash so as long as you don't care that there won't be future support and a bunch of apps that is definitely the way to go. I am trying to get one just to have something to surf the web with and whatnot while traveling.

HP's WebOS has a small, but devoted, cult-like following, so it wouldn't surprise me to see some creative & clever minds nurture an "underground" movement on other forums to keep the OS useful for at least internet, email, & media browsing for at least the near future, via jailbreak, hacks, mods, whatever.

$99 is a drop in the bucket.

(full disclosure: I won't be one of those people. Just trying to be impartial)

Wannabebig Member
    yeah i dont know about what the future holds for html5, I traded my playbook in for an andriod samsung galaxy, im liking the galaxy alot more at this point.

btw i found a cool website that has a whole bunch of games and other stuff for the tablet, been trying it out, stuff works great on my galaxy , website is: www.tabletfriendly.com if anyone wants to check it out