Thread: Home Gym

Wannabebig Member

Home Gym

HI

Can anyone tell me what sort of Home Gym will work on your Biceps and Triceps as well as other muscles?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/multi-gym-...item20bce1614e
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Power-...item3a6a78da7b

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Get a power rack, a barbell, a set of weight plates, a bench and you'll nearly be set for life.

Oh a set of dumbbells wouldn't hurt too.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 09-26-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

I thought you were going to do some research into what good training consisted of? Remember Behemoth told you to learn for yourself to increase your dedication?

That machine is crap and probably more money than you need to spend on your goals. Do your research and save money by purchasing an olympic barbell and weight plates. You can get a very effective workout with just a bar and enough weights.
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-26-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

And probably for less on craigslist or something. Barbell for life.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Get a power rack, a barbell, a set of weight plates, a bench and you'll nearly be set for life.

+1

i just built myself a squat/bench rack and bought an olympic bar and a bunch of weight plates for really cheap off craigslist, theres really no important exercise that i cant do (i also have a pullup bar, but u can get yourself one of those for really cheap). skip all that machine crap, get the essentials first and you'll find you wont even need the machines.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks I am going to my local gym 2 times a week at the moment at home I have a bar set with say 30kg of weights,

I have been looking to tone and increase my arm muscles and chest, I wasn’t sure what could be achieved with the bar?

Does anyone on here do work out routines which are customised to the customer?

Can you not just go to the gym 3 times a week? Paying for that 1 extra session is going to be a lot cheaper than buying more weights and a bench and what not. And there are lots of pre made routines on this site you dont need your own customised one, pick a routine, stick with it, reap the benefits.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    Can you not just go to the gym 3 times a week? Paying for that 1 extra session is going to be a lot cheaper than buying more weights and a bench and what not. And there are lots of pre made routines on this site you dont need your own customised one, pick a routine, stick with it, reap the benefits.
    Not in the long run it wont be cheaper. I got my bench/squat rack (seperate pieces that can be used together) for $100 plus my olympic barbell set which was $100 dumbells handles for the olympic weights were $40 and pull up bar was $20.

All of this stuff has lasted me for 3-4+ years and shows no signs of wearing down. Much cheaper and convenient then going to somewhere like 24.

Honestly I could never imagine going to a gym I like to lift a lone. Even when my friends try and come lift with me I don't do it.

I agree in the long run it wont be cheaper but if I was already going to the gym twice a week Id just go that extra 1 time as opposed to spending the money and setting up a home gym but then again I enjoy going to a public gym, personal preference I guess.

I agree in the long run it wont be cheaper but if I was already going to the gym twice a week Id just go that extra 1 time as opposed to spending the money and setting up a home gym but then again I enjoy going to a public gym, personal preference I guess.
    To me though the cost it just to much. I've been lifting for over 7 years. I can't even begin to imagine how much that would be in gym fees. Plus the gas wasted driving to the gym.

Ive been a member of the gym im at now for 2 years at 25 pound a month thats 600 pounds ha wish I hadnt just thought of it like that. But I live in a small house a home gym just isnt feasible, maybe 1 day.

Ive been a member of the gym im at now for 2 years at 25 pound a month thats 600 pounds ha wish I hadnt just thought of it like that. But I live in a small house a home gym just isnt feasible, maybe 1 day.
    Yea when you start to think about it in years and not just month to month it adds up to be quite a bit.

I have a really small apartment to but I just got rid of my dining table and put my weights there. I could probably move it into my own room as well but it would be a tight fit. I think I'm going to do that though cause I want to having a dining room table for my daughter to eat at.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Yea when you start to think about it in years and not just month to month it adds up to be quite a bit.

I have a really small apartment to but I just got rid of my dining table and put my weights there. I could probably move it into my own room as well but it would be a tight fit. I think I'm going to do that though cause I want to having a dining room table for my daughter to eat at.
    Oh trust me, I work at a Powerhouse Gym...All I do is look at numbers and sell memberships. It's a hustle. When I get space to do so, I'm investing in my own set of weights.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    I think I will invest in my own set and hit the gym once a week does anyone have a complete list of things you think I should get?

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    I have a really small apartment to but I just got rid of my dining table and put my weights there.
    thats dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by zenicman View Post
    I think I will invest in my own set and hit the gym once a week does anyone have a complete list of things you think I should get?
    Olympic weight and barbell set, bench and power rack and your sorted. Im guessing your from the UK sure you could pick up some good, cheap second hand stuff on ebay.
    Last edited by geordie1986; 09-29-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post

So true, that and some inventiveness is all one needs

I think you better do some researches about training tips to get an effective work out. In my opinion, it is better if you could go to a gym rather than doing it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by justinB2 View Post
    I think you better do some researches about training tips to get an effective work out. In my opinion, it is better if you could go to a gym rather than doing it at home.
    Sure for the amount of equipment in a commercial gym, it's fine, but there's no chance in hell you're going to tell me I can't get an effective workout in my garage gym, pending my garage has everything a powerlifting/strongman gym does, but a standard barbell, bench, rack and plates is absolutely all anyone needs to be effective. 24 hour fitness monthly anytime membership $504 a year, that's $1,000 in 2 years. If you can't build everything you can ever dream of in a garage for $1000, you need a lesson in finance. I put together everything I've got for under $400 easily. Bench, rack, 800lbs of weight, atlas stones, tires, kettlebells and dumbbells. Now I'm not saying you should go full out at home, as yeah, I do have a $24/month membership at metroflex and I go there once a week, but in no way shape form or fashion do I think you're either experienced or knowledgeable enough to make that statement.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    dont wannan initia flamewar but the bowflex is sik

perfect push up i find work well with my home chest work outs

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypete View Post
    perfect push up i find work well with my home chest work outs
    So do chairs.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs: