Thread: Bench Training 505x10 Set2, 515x3 Incline

Bench Training 505x10 Set2, 515x3 Incline

Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Rob you know I've got nothing but respect for you, but on that 505 set you didn't lock out most of your reps brother.

Incline is super strong though

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Rob you know I've got nothing but respect for you, but on that 505 set you didn't lock out most of your reps brother.

Incline is super strong though
    I gave him shit about that on FB. He feels he gets the lockout work he needs in other ways. In the end it is hard to say for sure if locking out when he does reps would make a substantial difference. It seems like it would, but that's hard to prove.

I don't know that there is going to be much benefit to making a particular exercise easier on yourself rather than training the full range of motion.

If a person wants to train the bottom end of the bench, a cambered bar of different depths or paused benches is a much better choice than half reps.

In my opinion lockout work should be an accessory.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Well I have stayed quiet but I think my bench is progressing every week. Me benching 630 in a 4 lift meet after 900 squat speaks alot to my training and my trainer Josh Bryant who got Big Al benching 670 & Hornstra benching 660. People kept their mouth shut when I repped 460, 480,& 495 but 505 2x10 everybody a critic. I take constructive criticism better then most but I been at this for a while now not being arrogant but being honest.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Strong benching
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

That is some strong benching.

I typically dont worry too much about coming to a full lockout on anything more than 4 reps, but I am no where near the level of bencher some of you guys are.
    best single ply meet lifts 850-670-685 best total 2170
    Multiply meet lifts 1003-700-677-2380

I don't know that there is going to be much benefit to making a particular exercise easier on yourself rather than training the full range of motion.

If a person wants to train the bottom end of the bench, a cambered bar of different depths or paused benches is a much better choice than half reps.

In my opinion lockout work should be an accessory.

Travis, I think you are missing something with your comments---you are focusing on one single workout in a training cycle that is made of several different phases. We both know a training video like this sometimes makes it difficult to get an idea of the entire training plan of the lifter.

The second thing is you mentioned a cambered bar. Right now Rob is doing alot of his training in the highschool gym because of school/spring practice for the football team/etc. I've got alot of specialty bars in my place, but even I don't have a cambered bench bar. This leaves paused benches as your other best choice per your post above. Think about it, how many paused bench videos has Rob put up over the last few years? Alot... paused bench, paused military, dead stop bench.... etc. The problem is you can only work a paused bench so many times before stagnation occurs.

This is an attempt to stimulate strength by thinking outside the box a bit. Rob took what he has and is trying to make it work. I can guarantee you we'll discuss the crap out of whether or not he thinks it works after its been tried--- even if we aren't in the gym together, we are talking training in the morning when I'm driving to work and in the evening when I'm driving to the gym.... so he's trying something and he's getting feedback. At this point, it is a matter of time to see if the thought works or not.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

JK of course I'm commenting on one single workout brother. That's the video that was posted.

My opinion still stands. Paused benches are still better than a bunch of unlocked reps. No need to get all in a wad about it. Just giving my opinion. I said it nicely and didn't insult Robert so I'm not sure what's the problem here. Its difficult to believe that reps like that is going to improve strength off the bottom is all. Figuring how much of it is momentum and how much is work is going to be pretty difficult. I may not have benched as much as Robert, but I've benched a few lbs myself so I'm not just coming up with this stuff out of thin air.

If the video had been titled "505 partial rep out set" I don't think anyone would have given it a second thought. However it was titled 505 x 10 reps. You really can't call those completed reps.

Had I known this was such a touchy subject for Robert I'd have just let it go. Peace out. I'm done here.

JK of course I'm commenting on one single workout brother. That's the video that was posted.

My opinion still stands. Paused benches are still better than a bunch of unlocked reps. No need to get all in a wad about it. Just giving my opinion. I said it nicely and didn't insult Robert so I'm not sure what's the problem here. Its difficult to believe that reps like that is going to improve strength off the bottom is all. Figuring how much of it is momentum and how much is work is going to be pretty difficult. I may not have benched as much as Robert, but I've benched a few lbs myself so I'm not just coming up with this stuff out of thin air.

If the video had been titled "505 partial rep out set" I don't think anyone would have given it a second thought. However it was titled 505 x 10 reps. You really can't call those completed reps.

Had I known this was such a touchy subject for Robert I'd have just let it go. Peace out. I'm done here.
    Definately no hard feelings on my part.

Rob and I've talked about the way he's doing reps at length. That is why I chimed in. I definately wasn't trying to start an argument, I too questioned things. I have the advantage I can sit down with Rob and talk about what he's doing in length that some of the others on here can't do.

The end result will be the telling time. Rob has used partials like this off and on since he benched 500 right out of highschool (you can find old youtube videos if you look long enough). To me right now the end point- ie benching 650 is the next step. Well all just have to see what happens.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.