Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruits and veggies

Fruits and veggies

I don't eat them really at all. I know I need to start but what am I missing out on by not eating them? Also which of them are the ones I need to eat? A list would be great. Thanks guys.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Your body will function a lot better if you get all of your vitamins and minerals. At least that's what my mom told me when i was younger

Quote Originally Posted by D-RAS03 View Post
    I don't eat them really at all. I know I need to start but what am I missing out on by not eating them? Also which of them are the ones I need to eat? A list would be great. Thanks guys.
    Truthfully? Not much.

Most vitamins and minerals (and fiber) are found in abundance in the supplements most of us take (something as simple as a protein shake or bar), and contrary to what some websites and uneducated but opinionated folk may insist, your body can't tell the difference.

As for certain antioxidants, phytochemicals, etc... you usually can't go wrong with anything brightly colored. Get some blueberries and tomatoes in your diet for starters, and provided you're either taking a multi or having a protein bar or two, you'll be in better shape than 90% of the population. Throw in some fish oil, and you can bump that up to 95% of the population.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Truthfully? Not much.

Most vitamins and minerals (and fiber) are found in abundance in the supplements most of us take (something as simple as a protein shake or bar), and contrary to what some websites and uneducated but opinionated folk may insist, your body can't tell the difference.

As for certain antioxidants, phytochemicals, etc... you usually can't go wrong with anything brightly colored. Get some blueberries and tomatoes in your diet for starters, and provided you're either taking a multi or having a protein bar or two, you'll be in better shape than 90% of the population. Throw in some fish oil, and you can bump that up to 95% of the population.
    I take Multi-plus, fish oil, Nitrean, and many other things a day. I just keep hearing you have to have fruits and veggies as part of your diet. I will add those to my diet as well.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    fruits and vegies are important in our mels. fiber is the fact we have to eat vegies. the yello colored fruits and vegies are so good for body

Dashquid
    fatlossprofessional.co.uk
    fatlossprofessional
    mobilehelper
    securetrip
    whichpetcover
    google
    abc
    facebook
    craigslist
    Last edited by tharindhu015; 10-18-2012 at 07:23 PM.

What Alex said. However I have to say that recently I've started to eat quite a bit of fruit compared to years of no fruit and I have been effected by the placebo and "feel" more healthy. I think ingestion of fruits/veggies is moreso an alternative pathway for consumption of food instead of eating, say, a fun size bag of Doritos. Have a cup of brocolli with some healthy-ish dressing instead. Get what I'm sayin.
    23 - 5'11'' - 200 lb
    PR's - Squat 355 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | Total 1045 | BW 213
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    Journal...

I agree jed, good to see you back, BTW. Especially if your trying to lose weight; eating fruits and vegies can help you achieve your nutrition goals.

Also agree with Alex. You can get your V's and M's other ways if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by tharindhu015 View Post
    fruits and vegies are important in our mels. fiber is the fact we have to eat vegies. the yello colored fruits and vegies are so good for body
    Quote Originally Posted by E.dward View Post
    Instead of making choices in fruits and vegetables, you should eat all the kinds of fruits and vegetables as they are full of vitamins and minerals. If you're a meat lover, don't quit eating it as it's a main and basic source of protein, you could mix your vegetables with meat to make it tasty, may this way you start eating veges and fruits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary125 View Post
    You should eat fresh fruits and raw vegetables to make your diet more healthy and balanced.
    You should include the fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet to get more natural vitamins, protein, fiber, calcium etc.
    The more beneficial fruits and vegetables for you are apple, orange, grapefruit, grapes, berries, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cucumber, pumpkin, and gourd.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximac View Post
    Fruits and vegetables are very important to our health because they are whole foods, created by nature, that are rich in a large amount of nutrients.

Experiment with new types of fruits and veggies -- like a broccoli slaw salad mix, or pomegranate juice.
    Wow, lots of great and interesting advice guys! You folks really know your stuff. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on other topics in the future, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirtificate View Post
    I agree jed, good to see you back, BTW. Especially if your trying to lose weight; eating fruits and vegies can help you achieve your nutrition goals.

Also agree with Alex. You can get your V's and M's other ways if you need to.
    If you're trying to lose weight stick more with veggies than fruit though. There's a lot of sugar in fruit that can outweigh the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasson View Post
    Fruits and vegetables both are good for health. These food have lot of benefits. Fruits contain vitamins and vegetables have carbohydrates. Both things are important for our body. I am a vegetarian so i suggest everyone to eat vegetables and fruits only.
    Don't believe the misconception that fruit has more vitamins and nutrients than veggies. If anything veggies are A LOT more nutrient dense with the adds benefits of fiber and being lower calorie.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

To the OP. If you want to make the most of your veggie/fruit intake, stick with greens. Spinach, choy, kale and rapini Are my favorites. And there is also supplements like Fruit/Veggie Festiv, Go Greens, etc that supplies everything you need. Here's a site that has the nutritional info on veggies and fruits.

http://www.healthalternatives2000.co...ion-chart.html
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by D-RAS03 View Post
    I don't eat them really at all. I know I need to start but what am I missing out on by not eating them?
    You are missing out on over 100K phytonutrients.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    You are missing out on over 100K phytonutrients.
    Would be interested in learning more. Care to elaborate?
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by DoUgL@S View Post
    Would be interested in learning more. Care to elaborate?
    Well to my knowledge science has only even named the first 20K of them. So there are 80k phyto's out there with unknown effects.

The known phyto's range from things like bio-flavanoids, to chrlorophyl to carotenoids. We al know of beta-carotene but there are I think over 600 carotenoids out there. It's a pretty big subject.

I feel totally different when I eat fruit & veg VS when I don't. So personally I could say the OP would be missing out on feeling good, having an abundance of energy and increased mental acuity.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Wannabebig New Member
    Seems you don't like to eat fruits and vegetable. But i suggest you to eat them, because they can provide various vitmin and other elements human body need. They are good for your body. Hope you can love them Thank you.

Tons of stuff in food we don't even know about yet.
    A multi has you covered for the major stuff however there is so much benefit to fruit and veges you may as well eat them.

Fruit is delicous I eat heaps of oranges, watermelon, grapefruit tangerines etc, love it.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

so you cant get all your nutrients from fruits and veggies from suppliments eliminating the need to eat them?

Quote Originally Posted by imabeast7 View Post
    so you cant get all your nutrients from fruits and veggies from suppliments eliminating the need to eat them?
    You can. There are many populations on earth who subsist on negligible amounts of fruits and vegetables, and to our knowledge, there are no disorders or vitamin deficiencies caused by not eating fruits/vegetables that cannot be addressed through taking a vitamin/mineral supplement and ensuring adequate caloric intake elsewhere.

The existence of complex molecules in nature designed for the other organism's benefit does not mean (by any stretch) that we are better off consuming them.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

So much is "unknown" about diet and nutriton.

So much is "unknown" about supplements.

We are all so different.

We all have different factors in our lives that affect "the whole".

As such, my "money" is on simply eating a balanced diet including fruits and vegetables as a daily habit.

And while it may be true that certain populations get by just fine with eating negligibe amounts of fruits and vegetables, I think much of the population also gets by just fine without taking supplements.

I prefer the "fruit / vegetable / meat / starch" balanced meal lifestyle over the supplement lifestyle. And yes, I'm generalizing (you can do both, you can take supplements and be perfectly healthy, etc).
    Last edited by r2473; 11-01-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Agreed. The response was to eliminate absolutes- you don't NEED to do anything, really- in this day and age of enriched/fortified basic foodstuffs, nutrient deficiencies are unlikely in all but the most extreme (read: restrictive diet) cases. You don't NEED supplements, you don't NEED fruits and vegetables. But if you're going to eliminate all fruits, all vegetables, and not take any supplements whatsoever (and go out of your way to avoid processed foods, which in many cases ARE fortified with essential nutrients), you may find yourself in trouble as the months and years go on.

I know that much of the food I eat is "fortified". So we all take supplements.

I really don't have anything against supplements per se. But I do question the wisdom of relying on them instead of simply eating "right".

For reasons that extend beyond basic nutrition, I just prefer to keep eat balanced meals instead of taking supplements. It's really more of a lifestyle choice for me.

EDIT: I would also add that, with the beating the USDA and their food pyramind takes these days, I'd be surprised if 1 in 100 people eat according to the food pyrmaid. I feel its pretty hard to criticize something if you don't follow it.

I don't follow it. I eat lots of red meat and butter. But I also try to eat lots of vegetables. I'm not so great at eating fruit though.
    Last edited by r2473; 11-01-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icool View Post
    The consumption of more vegetables, fruits and root crops is encouraged to help correct the micronutrient deficiencies consistently noted in some surveys.
    This is a baseless statement. Not to mention "consistently noted in some" is a contradiction in terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    This is a baseless statement. Not to mention "consistently noted in some" is a contradiction in terms.
    Been gone three months, glad to see things are still the same.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I juice some leafy greens in the morning and that's my veggie intake for the day. Its usually 4-6 ounces so its not much juice. It just makes me feel better, but I did skip on eating veggies and fruits for s good 2 or 3 years, mostly because I was perma-bulking and fruits and veggies just take up space (154 calories in a pound of broccoli, 1637 calories in a pound of white bread). Do whatever gets you to your goals, of course if you start feeling miserable due to diet change, reevaluate your diet. duh.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Lang View Post
    well fruits and vegetables are the rich source of minerals,vitamins,proteins and carbohydrates so these all helps in proper functioning and growth of the body and also gives nourishment to various parts of the body so it would be better to have them once a day
    What proteins are found in fruits and vegetables?

Technically, soybeans (a legume) are a type of fruit. And they have plenty of protein.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!