Thread: Too skinny, want to gain weight. What should I do?

Wannabebig New Member

Too skinny, want to gain weight. What should I do?

I'm about 5'9", 130 lbs right now. I think I have a lot of fat on my face because I have chubby cheeks (not a lot, about moderate). I can't seem to gain weight so I think I have fast metabolism or something is not right with my body. I'm tired of looking this skinny so I want to do something about it.

I'm kind of new to bodybuilding stuff so I don't know the best way for me to start.

My plan is to do these things:
    Diet: milk, eggs, chicken, vegetables, rice, supplements
    Exercise: high intensity interval training, dumbbell/kettlebell, playing sports
    Sleep: 6-8 hours/day

What do you think?

I want to stay on a budget so probably going to buy food in bulk and cook at home. What should I eat that have high calories and cheap?
    How do I get rid of my chubby cheeks (too much fat in the wrong place)? How do I make my other body parts bigger (mostly chest, butt, arms, legs)?

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding threads/sites/resources that can help me?

Thank you for your help.

Wannabebig Member
    like others have said, this is the most common q for skinny people who can never gain. i'm in the same shoes and just started last week. we just aren't eating enough. simple at that. I started eating more learn meats and force myself to eat as much as I can take. not overeating just yet but you have to add more food in any way possible as long as it is healthy. lift 3-4x a week. a lot of people recommend starting strength routine. bottom line- stuff your face with food all day and lift 4x a week and you WILL see growth.

How old are you? And what does your current exercise pattern look like in an average week? (i.e. how much sports, how much activity, etc.) What do you do for work? (i.e. sitting or standing all day)
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Drink a half gallon of milk a day on top of all your food. Add milk as necessary. Eat a lot of peanut butter.

At 130 lbs, you just need foods high in fat at this point. With that being said, don't go too overboard. I would aim for 1-2 lbs a week.

The biggest hurdle you will have is getting your stomach used to handling the extra food. It gets easier, I promise, but the beginning sucks.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 08-30-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Wannabe Tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post

At 130 lbs, you just need foods high in fat at this point.
    Just to clarify, this doesn't include fast food and junk food. There are size gains through muscle or size through fat. You want muscle. This includes healthy fats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    They will also be banning weight lifting, so do as much as you can now.

Back off the HIIT cardio if you're trying to gain. And DBs and kettlbells are NOT gonna get you big. Start doing heavy compound movements (bench, squat, deadlift and OHP). Add in one gallon of whole milk a day on top of your regular diet. Eat at least a dozen eggs a day (not just the whites) and lots of PB as mentioned above. Get your carbs in. Whole wheat pasta, multigrain bread, potatoes, rice, etc. And don't be afraid to throw in some fast food too.
    Last edited by Bruiser; 09-06-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

If you want to gain weight, eat more. It really is that simple. All the suggestions so far are great ways to take in more calories.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Back off the HIIT cardio if you're trying to gain.
    Strongly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    And DBs and kettlbells are NOT gonna get you big. Start doing heavy compound movements (bench, squat, deadlift and OHP).
    DB rows and DB bench are still compounds.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoUgL@S View Post
    If you want to gain weight, eat more. It really is that simple. All the suggestions so far are great ways to take in more calories.
    Eating more is the best way to gain weight. But be sure not to eat unhealthy foods. Many get envied on people that has fast metabolism or people who don't gain weight easily even eating many foods.
    Last edited by glennyphn; 09-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    The answer is simple: eat more caloric dense foods and there are also alot of cheap alternatives that you can eat like bread, pasta and add some cheap protein sources like chicken breast, tuna, eggs
    Want to handstand like bruce lee ?

www.lostartofhandbalancing.com

Learn How To Do A Handstand !

Banned
    Eat more, dude. It's really that simple.

Wannabebig Member
    Train your body to eat more. By eating 6 or more meals a day you will be able to achieve this. Also, by spreading out your meals you will be able to give your body a constant stream of nutrients. Make sure that all meals have some from of lean protein, complex carbs and unsaturated fats. I don't highly recommend it but, if you still find it hard to eat that much than get some meal replacements or mass gainer.

Heres a quick recipe for some homemade protein bars to conveniently eat in between meal:
    2 Cups Old Fashion Oats
    1/2 Cup All Natural Peanut Butter
    4 Scoops Whey Protein

Mix these all together and add enough water to make them formable. Don't add too much water or else it will be a mess. Add an 1/8 of a cup at a time. Then spread out the mixture on a cookie sheet, stick in the fridge and cut out as needed. You can also form them into balls. Just make sure you have a lot of water when you eat them
    Last edited by workoutreviewer; 10-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    Massive Gains = Right Knowledge +Consistent training + Consistent Diet

Exercise Moto = "The more you hate it, the better the results."

Homepage: www.dailyworkoutreviews.com

Quote Originally Posted by PatoriaN View Post
    Just to clarify, this doesn't include fast food and junk food. There are size gains through muscle or size through fat. You want muscle. This includes healthy fats.
    Excess Calories beyond the threshold of someones ability to add muscle at any given point is the result of more fat gain. Fast food does not equate to simple fat gains over foods in "healthy" fats.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial