Thread: How bad would a routine be with no direct chest work?

How bad would a routine be with no direct chest work?

Due to what I think is a strain in my right pec that doesn't want to get better, I've been giving thought to just forgetting about it for a month or two and focusing on everything except chest work. By the time the 1-2 month period is over I'm hoping I will be ready for heavy benching again and I can return to a normal routine. If not, then I guess I'll just have to continue on with the modified routine.

In the meantime, if I only did a 3-4 day split with heavy deads, standing over head press, squats, and back/shoulder/leg accessory work, would a routine like this eventually lead to a pretty badly unbalanced build? Or would the focus on other heavy compound movements and slight chest recruitment help my chest grow with everything else to some extent?

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Wannabebig Member
    You should be fine if it is only a month or two. I had a rotator cuff issue in March and didn't bench until the end of the summer and now back to about the same level as before. I wouldn't be concerned with no direct chest work. Olympic weightlifters pretty much never do "chest" workouts and look strong.
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"
    - Jón Páll Sigmarsson, World's Strongest Man Champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)

5'7", 200lbs

Gym / Competition Lifts - all unequipped
    435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

Im all for training around not through injuries, but I wouldnt say neglect it completely, theres some good info from dave tate out there on recovering from pec tears/strains etc. I think going down the route you want to is probably for the best (still training what you can) but I a small amount of direct chest work could help in the long run.

have a read of this, few idea's in there you could use:

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-...129525&tid=124
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

David Herskovitz -IFBB PRO IFBB David H's Avatar
    I don't think it will be a problem if you lay off the direct chest work for a month or two. All of the other upper body exercises will indirectly recruit a little bit of chest work, so you won't wind up losing a whole lot during your recovery period...and at the end of the day, you will likely come back stronger than before.