Thread: Help understanding the HCT program

Help understanding the HCT program

I read the article I gathered the 6+2+2+2 you do 6 reps to ramp up to something you can do 6 times barely then 2 reps of that weight break 2 reps break 2 reps and do 3 sets of this? Maybe I am confusing myself but is this correct?

I'm somewhat new to lifting before I never really followed a routine any help will be appreciated

Your understanding is correct. You work your way up to a hard set of 6 reps, rack the bar and wait as long as it takes to get 2 more reps (he says this is 3-60 sec. for most people), rack the weight again and do 2 more reps, wait, and then try to get 2 final reps.

Read also the parts about autoregulation and progression.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Your understanding is correct. You work your way up to a hard set of 6 reps, rack the bar and wait as long as it takes to get 2 more reps (he says this is 3-60 sec. for most people), rack the weight again and do 2 more reps, wait, and then try to get 2 final reps.

Read also the parts about autoregulation and progression.
    I feel like the first 6 reps are somewhat difficult as I get further in sets I can barely finish the last set of 6 reps. am i not waiting long enough in between reps?

I'm confused about what part you are having trouble with?

I did notice one thing I missed yesterday, you only work up to one very difficult set of 6 +2+2+2. In other words, let's say you ramp up to 200 lbs for 6 reps and you can barely get the 6. You then rack the weight and rest long enough to do 2 more reps, rest again and get 2 more reps, and then rest again for a final 2 reps. Once that top set is finished you are done. So, the last set will be the first time it is very hard to get 6 reps with the chosen load. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I'm confused about what part you are having trouble with?

I did notice one thing I missed yesterday, you only work up to one very difficult set of 6 +2+2+2. In other words, let's say you ramp up to 200 lbs for 6 reps and you can barely get the 6. You then rack the weight and rest long enough to do 2 more reps, rest again and get 2 more reps, and then rest again for a final 2 reps. Once that top set is finished you are done. So, the last set will be the first time it is very hard to get 6 reps with the chosen load. Does that make sense?
    I was benching today and started at 135 6 times was to easy so I upped it then did that 6 times upped it again then did that 6 times until I got to 225 which I did 6 times but struggled to finish then I rested and did 2 rest 2 rest 2. Then I repeated 225 6 more times 2 rest 2 rest 2 rest then one more set for a combined reps of 36 at 225? Is this not how its supposed to be done?
    Last edited by RinkerxX; 04-01-2013 at 11:09 PM.

No you would stop here;
    Quote Originally Posted by RinkerxX View Post
    I was benching today and started at 135 6 times was to easy so I upped it then did that 6 times upped it again then did that 6 times until I got to 225 which I did 6 times but struggled to finish then I rested and did 2 rest 2 rest 2
    And then move onto your next exercise. You would not repeat your final set 3 times.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    No you would stop here;
    And then move onto your next exercise. You would not repeat your final set 3 times.
    Alright I got it Idk why I was confused lol