Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people here can bench double their body weight raw?

As others have said, comparing your lifts to your bodyweight gives a nice impression if you are short. Bench-bodyweight numbers look even better if you have a negative ape index.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Hawk, you are smokin' something.. b/c you know this is not true. Everyone is different - different genetics - different potential - different goals.

You have a genetic gift Hawk, it's impressive... just don't continue to boast too much about it, it gets annoying.
    rule number one for benching double your body weight: stop making excuses why you cant.
    Unless you have a severe disability then anyone with enough determination can.

this isnt to boast it to motivate people to step up....

ive done 315 @ 215 and my style of benching is no arch, leg drive, or ass thrust, all arm. now im probley at around 325 @ 218-220, but im cutting very soon.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    rule number one for benching double your body weight: stop making excuses why you cant.

Hawk, that seems like a wildly unfounded theory based on exactly one genetically gifted individual... am I wrong, or is this something you've seen in countless other examples of people who have "enough determination"?

Yeah, yeah, we get it, your bench is really strong. I admire that. It just sounds a bit patronizing to insinuate that the reason that *everyone* else here hasn't hit twice their BW bench (nod to Mr. K Starke goes here) is because they don't have enough determination or hard work.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

you know what i say? i can squat and deadlift OVER double my weight, now thats what counts isnt it gentlemen?
    2000 or bust

Iron4Life

Hawk, you are NOT motivating anyone to "step up"!!! Just the tone of your thread is like a slap in the face! And your first sentences in the thread had the same tone:
    just wondering what people can do here, are ya all talk or can you push the weights?

I first got it my senior year in highschool 18, when i weighed 137 and did 275
    and that last line proves your awesome genetics for BP'ing. B/c I can guarantee you, there are 1000's if not millions, of hard core lifters out there who have tried a 1000 different ways to get to double BW BP. Not a one of them is offering an excuse. They just understand their place in the genetic scheme of things.

Now if you want to try to motivate people.. then start a journal, show us your hard daily workouts to get you to 3 x BW BP. Or better yet, show us the hard work you can put in to get to 10 x BW for all 3 lifts.

Motivation comes from watching someone else put the blood, sweat & tears into their workouts to achieve the smallest improvements. Some guys/gals spend yrs trying to eek out 10lb on their BP, Squat or DL. When they achieve those small improvements, you get motivated.

I'd be a lot more impressed if smokinHawk was talking about his double bodyweight clean and jerk.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

H'm... I sure as hell cant bench 570. Maybe 500 at 250 is a little more reasonable for me, but not atleast for another 1.5-2 years or even a little longer. I'll probably try and end up at 225, so 450 should be cake within a year to just over.

You've gotta drop all this "you just need to be motivated!" crap because thats what it is man. Not everyone is suited to everything and if all you need is motivation why is your deadlift 370? How about you get "motivated" and get that up?

you know what i say? i can squat and deadlift OVER double my weight, now thats what counts isnt it gentlemen?
    So can I, but all of the big 3 really count stumpy.

i know, im just saying theres to much fix on bench and i would think the same even if i did press 440, lol
    2000 or bust

Thats just what the thread is geared towards, people tend to focus and glorify whatever lifts they do best.

Banned
    this thread is starting to go know where, sorry for that..all i am seeing is reasons why people cant instead of why they can.
    but for those asking i have deadlifted double my bodyweight and could probably squat it.

I think a 3xBW deadlift is a far more impressive indicator of overall functional strength. How many people on here can do that?

I'm at about 2.6xBW.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I think a 3xBW deadlift is a far more impressive indicator of overall functional strength. How many people on here can do that?

I'm at about 2.6xBW.
    guess we all have our opinions on whats more important, thats why we all train differently. some what a thick back and massive legs, some want big arms and chest, just matter of opinion

ya getting 3 times your BW in deadlifting is pretty tough sounds like your close

I can do 2x, but take into consideration I haven't been natural in over 6 years. Naturally, I dunno if I could ever do that.

smokingHawk: I'm 6'5". There's no way with my long arms at my height that I'll be able to reach a double body weight bench. I mean, how many people can actually bench 450-460 lbs? You need to be realistic in your expectations of others. You've been relatively short you're whole life, correct? So how can you come on here and say that taller people are capable of it, but they just don't have the motivation, when you've never been tall, or had to push the bar up an extra 6-10 inches for each rep? Some people just aren't genetically capable of a double weight bench press due to their body type, and it's insulting for you to come in here and say the only reason we can't do it is because of lack of motivation.

damn, tofer is laying it down, lol

thumbwars > bench press

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post

I'm at about 2.6xBW.
    Me again.

I have nothing to contribute to the **** talking, but at least figured I'd throw in to the pissing contest.

Love you all.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member

x bw

So I suppose since the topic of 6-10 inches more has came up than the lifter whom is smaller should also be able to sqaut and deadlift more as, they don't have a far to go down and not as far to pull up. They should also be able to curl more. How come the Strong men are all around 6' tall. Must be some hight thing that you have to be over a certain hight to compete in the strong man. I can only deadlift so much be cause im short. The reason I cant sqaut as much is because my legs are shorter, so I don't have as much leg muscle as a person whom is 6-10 inches taller

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash View Post
    I'd be a lot more impressed if smokinHawk was talking about his double bodyweight clean and jerk.
    I thought we were already talking about the jerk part?

guido im about the same
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    I thought we were already talking about the jerk part?
    baha
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Any pictures of your bench perchance?

Wannabebig Member

come on

no responces to my post, trying to stir thing up in here. lol