Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Windows Vista

How many of you are planning on buying this? It certainly looks pretty damn good... Are there any really major changes besides the facelift?

I'm happy (and surprised) that the recommended computer specs are very reasonable:
    * 1 GHz Intel-compatible processor
    * 1GB RAM
    * DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor, with 128MB graphics memory.
    * 40GB HD with at least 15GB "free space"

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I have a free copy that I got when I bought my laptop. I'm worried about security/stability of vista. I'm happy with XP, so I might just keep on using it.

Well from what I understand there are a lot of anti-file-sharing measures and I don't know if that'd go over well for my computer which has gig upon gig of pirated stuff.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Ugh, really? Do you have any more info on that, fatrb?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

Yea if thats true, I'm going to say **** that.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Well from what I understand there are a lot of anti-file-sharing measures and I don't know if that'd go over well for my computer which has gig upon gig of pirated stuff.
    From what I've heard this is a rumour and nothing more. I've talked to a few people who run azureus and limewire with Vista and have no problems.
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

im planning on getting vista on my new laptop.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

From what I've seen there are a lot of nice enhancements security features. I plan on running this shortly after it comes out.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

It's pretty, but with all the requirements (especially to run their best version) it'll probably bog down all but the fastest computers. I definitely won't get it.

Did you see the first post? The requirements are relatively low... my laptop that I bought 2 years ago should be able to run it well.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

I'm waiting until they've got all the initial raft of bugs ironed out.

Maybe in a year. In the meantime, I think my Pentium D will serve me well enough such that I won't need Vista until that time.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by meltedtime View Post
    From what I've heard this is a rumour and nothing more. I've talked to a few people who run azureus and limewire with Vista and have no problems.
    That's good news. I had heard about the anti-pirating stuff on different sites but none seemed to be too specific about it which to be was more worrying than if the articles had been more detailed. Apparently torrent users have already gotten out a copy of Windows Vista itself so I figure if they can't control piracy of their own product then they won't be able to control it for other products (ie music, movies, and other software).

I still think I might wait a few weeks until all the bugs are out though. I've heard comments that Vista is faster than XP which is good news although I never thought XP was slow in the first place... (maybe it's just my computer).
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Their getting away with the notion that the information on your computer is "yours". Which would allow them to search your machine at their leisure.

This was supposedly implied by changing "My Computer" to just "Computer" in Vista. I can't really remember if they did it or not, its been a while since I've had vista on my machine.

BTW I have a machine thats probably very high end compared to most and vista gave me a 3 out of 10 on the compatibility rating or whatever it was.

A lot of tech heads I talk with say Vista is nothing but XP with increased (annoying) file security that don't exactly provide as much security as their frequent nature of poping up would imply. That an the AREO interface, which didn't do much for me anyhow.

Banned
    I haven't used it myself, but I think I would wait until the first service pack is out before using it full time. I recently switched over to Ubuntu (Linux flavour) and am quite happy with it.

I do sell PCs.

It's never really good to get a new OS immediately.

Wait a while before purchasing Vista.

However, if you buy a new PC past Jan 30th, you'll be getting Vista on it whether you want it or not.

I'll be buying a laptop soon with my tax return and it will come with Vista. I suppose I'll see if I like it or not.

I'll keep XP Pro on my desktop for the time being.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

I used the final release of vista it was pretty much a waste of time. I think I know why they took so long to release this OS, they didn't know what they could improve on from XP. They must have used all that time trying to think of something new to add and they just gave up and released this. so they updated the GUI and added some networking tools/Security enhancements. It does boot faster but who cares I never turn my computer off as it is.

Honestly I feel like I could have vista from a small service pack if Microsoft wanted to. Seems like they need more money to support the XBOX failure. Believe me don't waste the time upgrade just stick to XP its just as good.

One small note of something I just absolutely loved and which doesn't need vista to be added. Whenever you press alt+tab instead of just showing you icons it shows you the actual screen in a mini version its hard to explain but is really helpful and looks a lot cooler.

A lot of Vistas new features are just copies of the Mac operating system.

Increased system requirements, no new groundbreaking features, less control over your own computer.

Effectively you're paying full price for an XP service pack.

^ Yeah Microsoft is catching a bit of flack for that.

MS has always been mediocre when it comes to security and even if they supposedly beefed things up, it seems like hackers and whatnot are always one step ahead. It really does sound like people will be spending money on a new OS that just "looks cooler".
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Yeah, it's all over the torrents. I picked one up, but I don't really feel like installing it for awhile. A lot of the programs that I have don't run very well on Vista, and it seems like it's hardly an upgrade anyway. I don't have any security problems with XP, and the interface is straight-forward enough to not give me any problems or anything. I only have 1gig of RAM, so I'm worried it might run pretty slow anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Did you see the first post? The requirements are relatively low... my laptop that I bought 2 years ago should be able to run it well.
    Well seeing as how a lot of other OSs (Linux etc.) can run with a 200 MHz proc and 64 megs of ram, Vista is enormous.

this looks exactly like mac!!! it even has widgets. blasphemy.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    Well seeing as how a lot of other OSs (Linux etc.) can run with a 200 MHz proc and 64 megs of ram, Vista is enormous.
    True, but usually Microsoft inflates their system requirements a lot more than they did for Vista. I bet a lot of the computer companies are pissed, since they would bank a lot more if Vista recommended more powerful specs.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

I'm convinced that Windows has such high system requirements just to get more people to buy computers. And computers go wrong so often so you have to buy a new computer, which comes with the latest version of Windows...

It's all a big scam. I use a seven year old computer with Linux which was free. Can't say it doesn't do anything that I could do with Vista. Except get hacked obviously.

Not everyone is as impressed. Bruce Perens, a Berkeley, Calif., Linux developer, argues that Vista's security-conscious intrusiveness alone is reason enough for users - especially those into video, music and program Internet file sharing - to think twice about staying with a Microsoft OS.
    "Unlike Microsoft's previous operating systems, the main thrust of Vista is not to provide more functionality for customers, but to . . . impose pervasive digital-rights management," he said.
    Along with its support for high-definition video content, Vista has launched HDCP, or High-Definition Copy Protection. The technology encrypts the digital signal from its source, foiling capture and copying.
    "It is enforced throughout the system. You are the person not to be trusted," Perens complains. "It's a digital ball and chain to make sure you don't do anything the people who make music and movies don't like."
    http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5053195

Article is a good read