Thread: How long to make my newb gains, and when do my newb gains end?

How long to make my newb gains, and when do my newb gains end?

I'm going to go on a bulk starting August 1st, as I want to get my 1RM up to the following:

Flat Bench Press - 225
    Squat - 315
    Deadlift - 275

Is this an ideal goal? If my squat max right now is 210, my bench press is 160, and my deadlift is 205, how long would this take if I took the 'eat everything in sight' approach (and I DON'T plan on continuing this approach after I get my newb gains out of the way)

At what point does it no longer become a newb gain and it becomes tougher to gain muscle? I'm sure everyones bodies are different, but is it possibly that I could get my current 1RM up to the goals within 2-3 months? I'm going to use WBB1.1, and eat around 400 grams of protein/day with about 200 grams of fat and maybe 200 grams of carbohydrates. That's like 4,200 calories.

My current stats are 6'2, 180 pounds (I was 205 back on April 17th), and about 16-17% BF. I'm trying to lose as much BF as possible until August 1 so that I will be more motivated when I begin a bulk, because if my bodyfat is much lower, I'll probably 'see' the results better than if I had a layer of fat anyways. I'll probably lose a few pounds of muscle along the way (hopefully I can get to like 160 by August 1, and be a twig to begin my bulk).

Wannabebig Member LetsGrowTumors's Avatar
    i dont know where to start. but why try to loose weight? just tone and the bulk will fallow along. your 180 6'2 not bad i mean if you really try your first month is the best month. i gained 20 pounds in a month in a half. lost some BF and just toned and got lean. i was repping 145 in may and now im doing 2 plates. so just take your protine shakes and multi vitamins. do two muscles a day for an hour tops. you'll see results pretty quick.

Wannabebig Member LetsGrowTumors's Avatar
    damn thats alot of protein. i don't know if you should be doing that... i'd say 250grams? well if your doing the 400 let me know how that works out

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ^^

You're in no position to be giving anyone advice right now. I also urge you to stop giving advice for the time being. This is not meant to offend you, but you have a bit of reading to do.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 06-17-2007 at 03:24 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    ^^

You're in no position to be giving anyone advice right now. I also urge you to stop giving advice for the time being. This is not meant to offend you, but you have a bit of reading to do.
    You got any advice for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Twan View Post
    You got any advice for me?
    Read the sticky posts in the nutrition section.

400g of protein is an expensive form of glucose.

I think 1.5g/lbm is a good number on a bulk. When you are in a caloric surplus, your need for protein isnt as great.

Go enjoy the carbs while you can.

If you start your bulk at 160 and eat 4200 cals, you will SURELY gain fat.
    I would suggest at 160 to start your bulk at 2900 cals.

210g Protein
    90g Fat
    310g carbs

Those are just sample numbers. You can play around with the fat/carbs when the time comes.

and ohh good luck losing 20lbs by august 1. Check that, good luck losing 20lbs of fat by aug 1.

To the OP:

I think you need to prioritize. Do you want to go up in your lifts significantly? Do you want to lose weight? Which is more important. It's going to be tough to do both. Also, keep in mind that it's counterproductive to have unrealistic short term goals. Think attainable short term goals and then save the pie-in-the-sky stuff for your long term goals. Weightlifting/bodybuilding is a marathon, not a sprint.

Also, I'd hope your deadlift would be higher than your squat, so you should change your goal for deadlift to a higher weight than your squat. I guarantee your DL max will go up faster than your squat max.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    To the OP:

I think you need to prioritize. Do you want to go up in your lifts significantly? Do you want to lose weight? Which is more important. It's going to be tough to do both. Also, keep in mind that it's counterproductive to have unrealistic short term goals. Think attainable short term goals and then save the pie-in-the-sky stuff for your long term goals. Weightlifting/bodybuilding is a marathon, not a sprint.

Also, I'd hope your deadlift would be higher than your squat, so you should change your goal for deadlift to a higher weight than your squat. I guarantee your DL max will go up faster than your squat max.
    I want my lifts to go up significantly. Strength is my goal. I understand it's tough to do both, which is why I'll bulk for 6 months and cut for 4.

My deadlift sucks right now, but I guess it'll go up quickly if I eat enough.

For the beginner, I assume it's all about the food.

What's your current diet like at the moment?
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Twan View Post
    I want my lifts to go up significantly. Strength is my goal. I understand it's tough to do both, which is why I'll bulk for 6 months and cut for 4.

My deadlift sucks right now, but I guess it'll go up quickly if I eat enough.

For the beginner, I assume it's all about the food.
    Guido's advice is dead-on. Listen to him.

If you are going to lose 20lbs between now and August, it's going to be that much harder to meet your strength goals in the very short time frame you've given (2-3 months).

You have no idea how tired I get of saying this, but most beginner and intermediate lifters have no business getting into the bulk and cut frenzy that you see around here. Most of them would be much better off if they learned to eat well rather than constantly counting calories and dieting...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/