Thread: Competition question

Wannabebig New Member

Competition question

Hey guys. My name is Brian and I am from Dirty Jersey. I have been reading this forum for a while and finally now decided to post for the 1st time. (Popped my cherry!) I want to 1st say that I am amazed with the knowledge of everyone on this site and have been using peoples advice with my lifting. So, thanks people. Onto my question...

I am coming back from a broken femur injury (car accident) and additional time-off from my wife and I having a baby. I have now been training hard again for about 6 months. I am 33 yrs. old, weigh about 225 lbs, bench is now 425 lbs., deadlift is 455 lbs., and squat is 315 lbs. I am hoping to get my squat up again, but it has been tough. I couldn't do any legs while I was recooperating from my injury, but still worked out my upper body (hence the imbalance in lifts).

I have never entered any competition before, or ever been to one before. I am looking to have some fun and try entering one now. I have also never used a bench shirt before or any other assist suit. Any helpful advice from anyone for how to prepare? Should I even bother to enter, or wait till I can lift more? They have a drug-free competition by my house in Sept. and Dec. this year. I look forward to any helpful advice people can offer. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog1674 View Post
    Hey guys. My name is Brian and I am from Dirty Jersey. I have been reading this forum for a while and finally now decided to post for the 1st time. (Popped my cherry!) I want to 1st say that I am amazed with the knowledge of everyone on this site and have been using peoples advice with my lifting. So, thanks people. Onto my question...

I am coming back from a broken femur injury (car accident) and additional time-off from my wife and I having a baby. I have now been training hard again for about 6 months. I am 33 yrs. old, weigh about 225 lbs, bench is now 425 lbs., deadlift is 455 lbs., and squat is 315 lbs. I am hoping to get my squat up again, but it has been tough. I couldn't do any legs while I was recooperating from my injury, but still worked out my upper body (hence the imbalance in lifts).

I have never entered any competition before, or ever been to one before. I am looking to have some fun and try entering one now. I have also never used a bench shirt before or any other assist suit. Any helpful advice from anyone for how to prepare? Should I even bother to enter, or wait till I can lift more? They have a drug-free competition by my house in Sept. and Dec. this year. I look forward to any helpful advice people can offer. Thanks.
    Enter a competition as soon as you can if you want to compete. Your first meets are about gaining experience not winning. Don't worry about not lifting in equipment, you've gotta start somewhere.

If you can get to a meet to check it out before you compete that would help too because then you can see how things run and make sure you're lifting according to the rules of the federation you want to compete in.

Start trying to meet some experienced powerlifters in your area that can help you train and learn how to use equipment. Training with good lifters will be what helps you the most!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)